FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Any of you with gut feelings make me believe this is getting possible to maybe borderline probable? Tell me that it’s not just a dream anymore that the cheaters will finally be brought down.

I wouldn't bank on much happening with this turd of a situation. Only way anything that will be considered credible will get out is if he cuts a hell of a deal.

15 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Avenatti in 2018:  Lost over $3 million in a divorce.  Ordered to pay $5 million to his old law firm.  IRS wants over $2 million.  That's $10 million and counting.

With all that, he managed to make things worse

That takes effort, that does.

"That boy has potential!" - Charlie Sheen

4 hours ago, cybergates said:

So Nike's play is hoping that Avenatti's arrest keeps him from releasing his damning info and/or discredits said info?

This.Who ever his client was will just take his info else where. You don't blackmail a company like nike if your hand is empty.

27 minutes ago, Indykev said:

This.Who ever his client was will just take his info else where. You don't blackmail a company like nike if your hand is empty.

Yes, but if you're holding a pair of fours and you're 10 million in the hole, you might try to bluff.

Nike wouldn't have pursued legal action so quickly and violently if they weren't trying to discredit, shift blame, and obfuscate.

A company like Nike probably gets extorted on a regular basis, especially with the less-than-ethical way a lot of these big companies source their labor.  For them to react the way they did, and for the justice dept. to indict so quickly (we're talking absolutely lightning fast here) indicates that Nike probably called in every favor they could to get this result.

Avenatti definitely has a less than stellar reputation, but I think Nike overplayed its hand, and it seems to me like they are desperate to come out ahead of and control the narrative of what's inevitably coming out, whether it's Avenatti's client or the FBI investigation that starts the avalanche.

54 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Nike wouldn't have pursued legal action so quickly and violently if they weren't trying to discredit, shift blame, and obfuscate.

A company like Nike probably gets extorted on a regular basis, especially with the less-than-ethical way a lot of these big companies source their labor.  For them to react the way they did, and for the justice dept. to indict so quickly (we're talking absolutely lightning fast here) indicates that Nike probably called in every favor they could to get this result.

Avenatti definitely has a less than stellar reputation, but I think Nike overplayed its hand, and it seems to me like they are desperate to come out ahead of and control the narrative of what's inevitably coming out, whether it's Avenatti's client or the FBI investigation that starts the avalanche.

When an extortion attempt is that blatant, I don’t think a major corporation would have to call in many favors to get the feds to take care of it.  Especially when the blackmailer is already being investigated for other financial crimes.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Not necessarily. It could come down to ego. I would guess Phil Knight doesn’t take too kindly to attempted extortion by a guy like Avenatti. While the smart business thing might be to ignore publicly and handle behind the scenes, sometimes when massive egos are at play a guy like Knight just wants to crush the other guy, despite any PR backlash. 

I once ran PR for a public company, while nowhere near Nike’s size, we did about $300M in revenue. A well known (in the business world) convict launched a PR attack against our company making numerous false claims in an attempt to short our stock. While the smart play was to simply send cease and desist letters via lawyers, our Chairmen went crazy and just wanted to publicly destroy the guy. While cooler heads eventually prevailed, I literally had to type a press release calling the guy who attacked us a terrorist and compare him to Bin Laden. Yes, the Chairmen of our public company wanted those exact words in a press release on the National wire. The guy was unhinged because his ego was so big and bruised. I had to beg my boss, our CMO, to talk him out of it. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not necessarily. It could come down to ego. I would guess Phil Knight doesn’t take too kindly to attempted extortion by a guy like Avenatti. While the smart business thing might be to ignore publicly and handle behind the scenes, sometimes when massive egos are at play a guy like Knight just wants to crush the other guy, despite any PR backlash. 

I once ran PR for a public company, while nowhere near Nike’s size, we did about $300M in revenue. A well known (in the business world) convict launched a PR attack against our company making numerous false claims in an attempt to short our stock. While the smart play was to simply send cease and desist letters via lawyers, our Chairmen went crazy and just wanted to publicly destroy the guy. While cooler heads eventually prevailed, I literally had to type a press release calling the guy who attacked us a terrorist and compare him to Bin Laden. Yes, the Chairmen of our public company wanted those exact words in a press release on the National wire. The guy was unhinged because his ego was so big and bruised. I had to beg my boss, our CMO, to talk him out of it. 

Fascinating story.

The Avenatti shakedown story is just fascinating...what a sleazy crook...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michael-avenatti-accused-of-trying-to-extort-nike-for-up-to-25m-feds-say

...and Nike's statement is interesting...sounds like they've been under investigation for over a year:

"Nike will not be extorted or hide information that is relevant to a government investigation.  Nike has been cooperating with the government’s investigation into NCAA basketball for over a year. When Nike became aware of this matter, Nike immediately reported it to federal prosecutors. When Mr. Avenatti attempted to extort Nike over this matter, Nike with the assistance of outside counsel at Boies Schiller Flexner, aided the investigation. Nike firmly believes in ethical and fair play, both in business and sports, and will continue to assist the prosecutors.”

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The Avenatti shakedown story is just fascinating...what a sleazy crook...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michael-avenatti-accused-of-trying-to-extort-nike-for-up-to-25m-feds-say

...and Nike's statement is interesting...sounds like they've been under investigation for over a year:

"Nike will not be extorted or hide information that is relevant to a government investigation.  Nike has been cooperating with the government’s investigation into NCAA basketball for over a year. When Nike became aware of this matter, Nike immediately reported it to federal prosecutors. When Mr. Avenatti attempted to extort Nike over this matter, Nike with the assistance of outside counsel at Boies Schiller Flexner, aided the investigation. Nike firmly believes in ethical and fair play, both in business and sports, and will continue to assist the prosecutors.”

Hmmmm...clearly despite them being investigated for a year they’ve done a wonderful job of keeping it on the DL

4 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

What is the chance UK or Duke players are involved?

Sounds pretty likely. Avenatti came out firing this morning. 13 minutes ago just said on his twitter account to ask DeAndre Ayton and Nike about cash payments to his Mother and others. This is going to be a fun follow. I think we all knew Nike had to be involved but to this point they've been untouched. Sounds like the information will start rolling. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds pretty likely. Avenatti came out firing this morning. 13 minutes ago just said on his twitter account to ask DeAndre Ayton and Nike about cash payments to his Mother and others. This is going to be a fun follow. I think we all knew Nike had to be involved but to this point they've been untouched. Sounds like the information will start rolling. 

There will be several willing to give info to try and save their butts from going to prison. Going to be interesting. 

12 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

When an extortion attempt is that blatant, I don’t think a major corporation would have to call in many favors to get the feds to take care of it.  Especially when the blackmailer is already being investigated for other financial crimes.

I was more speaking to the speed with which it was handled.  I agree that it sounds pretty cut and dry, and Avenatti looks like he was desperately trying to find some money to cover his debts.  But six days from initial meeting to arrest is uncommonly quick.  I'd find it hard to believe that Nike didn't at least pull a few favors.  It sounds like they were ready for or even expecting the extortion attempt since they allegedly have audio tapes.

Tinfoil hat time:  Is it possible that Nike, knowing that damaging info was inevitably going to come out, somehow set it up so that Avenatti got himself involved in extortion, so that they could discredit the source before he revealed the info?  Do Avenatti's involvement,  extortion, and character issues somehow taint the validity of the info should it come out from his whistleblower?  Now, Nike is playing the "we are the victim and have done everything right and are fully cooperating" card.

Everything about this from Nike, to big time recruits, to other shoe companies involvement, to Avenatti seems extremely suspicious to me.

14 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I was more speaking to the speed with which it was handled.  I agree that it sounds pretty cut and dry, and Avenatti looks like he was desperately trying to find some money to cover his debts.  But six days from initial meeting to arrest is uncommonly quick.  I'd find it hard to believe that Nike didn't at least pull a few favors.  It sounds like they were ready for or even expecting the extortion attempt since they allegedly have audio tapes.

Tinfoil hat time:  Is it possible that Nike, knowing that damaging info was inevitably going to come out, somehow set it up so that Avenatti got himself involved in extortion, so that they could discredit the source before he revealed the info?  Do Avenatti's involvement,  extortion, and character issues somehow taint the validity of the info should it come out from his whistleblower?  Now, Nike is playing the "we are the victim and have done everything right and are fully cooperating" card.

Everything about this from Nike, to big time recruits, to other shoe companies involvement, to Avenatti seems extremely suspicious to me.

Not that I believe most but conspiracy theories in general I do find quite entertaining.  

Archived