The all-time best individual seasons

Once again, a fantastic piece of research and history.

And I agree with Rico. Can't argue with any one of them.

Having said that. I believe the game has changed. Which kind of makes it unfair to the kids playing the game today, to make a list like that. So that a guy like Rayl would not only not be able to score 56 a game, but would be put on the bench long before reaching those numbers.  Not unlike what Branch did with four or so minutes left in the game, the second time Jimmy hit 56. 

I really don't want to take anything away from what those guys, accomplished.  Just think that today's a much different game. Which does not allow for some of those single game or season scoring statistics to happen.

As an example. We (HSN) have talked about it before.  Highly unlikely that Calbert's career B1G scoring record will ever be broken.  Those were the days when a coach would let a Maravich or Cheaney do his thing.  IMHO, not only has the games changed, but also the mind set of today's head coaches.  If they are good enough to score those kinds of numbers, they are good enough to move onto the NBA.  What coach, would stand in the way of that, in this day and age ?

In the end.  Don't get me wrong.  I loved the list. And there is nothing at all I would change on it.

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Once again, a fantastic piece of research and history.

And I agree with Rico. Can't argue with any one of them.

Having said that. I believe the game has changed. Which kind of makes it unfair to the kids playing the game today, to make a list like that. So that a guy like Rayl would not only not be able to score 56 a game, but would be put on the bench long before reaching those numbers.  Not unlike what Branch did with four or so minutes left in the game, the second time Jimmy hit 56. 

I really don't want to take anything away from what those guys, accomplished.  Just think that today's a much different game. Which does not allow for some of those single game or season scoring statistics to happen.

As an example. We (HSN) have talked about it before.  Highly unlikely that Calbert's career B1G scoring record will ever be broken.  Those were the days when a coach would let a Maravich or Cheaney do his thing.  IMHO, not only has the games changed, but also the mind set of today's head coaches.  If they are good enough to score those kinds of numbers, they are good enough to move onto the NBA.  What coach, would stand in the way of that, in this day and age ?

In the end.  Don't get me wrong.  I loved the list. And there is nothing at all I would change on it.

I always wonder why the numbers today for players are a lot less than in the past.  If you look at the leading scorers in the country today compared to the past it is not close.  I don't know if it is coaches who think they have to play more players more minutes limiting the best players numbers.  You would think with the shot clock and the 3 the numbers should be higher today but it is not.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I always wonder why the numbers today for players are a lot less than in the past.  If you look at the leading scorers in the country today compared to the past it is not close.  I don't know if it is coaches who think they have to play more players more minutes limiting the best players numbers.  You would think with the shot clock and the 3 the numbers should be higher today but it is not.

I kind of liken it to what's happened in Major League Baseball. When I was young, it was the norm for a pitcher who was pitching well to complete a game regardless of pitch count.

Today, it is rare for a pitcher to complete a game.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I kind of liken it to what's happened in Major League Baseball. When I was young, it was the norm for a pitcher who was pitching well to complete a game regardless of pitch count.

Today, it is rare for a pitcher to complete a game.

That one of the things I hate about baseball today is the pitch count.  I am a Reds fan and yesterday they were down 4-0 going to the top of the 9th against Cleveland.  Their best pitcher Baur had a 3 hit shutout through 8 but took him out since the pitch count was at 110.  In the 9the the Reds scored 7 runs to win the game.

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

No IT? Even on honorable mention? This must be an oversite. 

I think Zeke's NBA career over shadows his college days.  Not that he wasn't an IU great.  But he did play along side other IU greats.  Those two years he had here the roster was STACKED.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

His record steals and his scoring. Along with being npoy 

IT scored more, has the assist record and steals record from that season. Not to mention carrying us to a National Title. 

It was an oversight to not have IT. 

41 minutes ago, rico said:

I think Zeke's NBA career over shadows his college days.  Not that he wasn't an IU great.  But he did play along side other IU greats.  Those two years he had here the roster was STACKED.

I could make a strong case he had the best single season in IU history in 81. He has multiple records from that season that stand nearly 40 years later and carried us to a title. 

Archived