Khristian Lander Commits to Indiana

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

After seeing Lander tonight in action at Southport, I've done a 180 on how I feel if we don't land him.  Before tonight, I had him labelled as a must get.  Now, I'm indifferent. 

Is the talent there?  Yeah, I guess so,

Is the heart there.  I'm not so sure.  

His team is not very good around him, but I say nothing from him that would indicate he had the heart to put the team on his back and will the, to victory.  That might explain reitz was a .500 team last year and had a losing record the year before that,

Definitely did not see the defensive effort that Archie would demand, and I also thought the decision making was mediocre.

This is what I've read too, that he may not be all that impressive. Supposedly Painter stopped recruiting him when he walked into the gym and was yelling back and forth at his dad from the court. He may have a bit of an attitude problem. 

I'm not sure this would be as much of a miss as some would think, although the optics of missing out an a 5 star in state guard aren't that great. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There is no doubt that the talent is there. This could be one of those situations where we see a kid that perhaps prioritizes the AAU circuit more than HS. Is he a candidate to go to prep school next year? From the sound of it wouldn't surprise me.

Southport had a freshman guard named AJ Dancler that I liked better than Lander.  He seemed to have a Rob Phinesee type game to him.  That's what I want out of my PG.  

On 12/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, GrangerHoosier said:

Archie hasn't been in to see Kaufman since July. Said to be favoring Purdue and Louisville at the moment, mainly because Painter is the lead recruiter there. Sending an assistant doesn't resonate the same as the head coach.

Lander is going out of state for sure. 

Furst, the staff doesn't seem as high on him as fans are. To me that's nuts, because if you pick up a guy like Brunk you sure as hell can find a spot for Furst.

Wesley is probably the one we have the best shot with at the moment.

We better be in good with out of state guys like Patterson, because if not, we could be in for some major disappointment in 2021.

i think miller added brunk as a stopgap. we need better than brunk so if the staff thinks furst is the equivalent, it makes perfect sense to not pursue him

7 minutes ago, coachv said:

i think miller added brunk as a stopgap. we need better than brunk so if the staff thinks furst is the equivalent, it makes perfect sense to not pursue him

I think Furst has some similarities in that his game is still pretty back to the basket and traditional 4/5 style...but I would argue Furst runs the court much better and I think if you have Furst for 4 years...his game will be much more advanced than Brunks. I expect him to add a nice jumper and to expand it out to the 3pt line by the time his college career is over. Virginia wouldn't be after him if he was Brunk level equivilant.

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Southport had a freshman guard named AJ Dancler that I liked better than Lander.  He seemed to have a Rob Phinesee type game to him.  That's what I want out of my PG.  

I'm just saying some kids don't put the emphasis on high school ball the same way they do for getting up for AAU where they play elite players and play "with" elite players. I know it sounds sacreligous  for an Indiana HS kid not to make his high school team his top priority but it isn't unusual in other states and I'm not sure about Reitz program if he is disconnected because of the coach etc. I thought it was traditionally a football school when I lived in Evansville but who knows. Khristian might not be able to maximize his skills on display due to his poor HS team or maybe he is going through the motions. I do know when I see him playing against elite talent in AAU he can get wherever he wants almost at will and his passes are super crisp...right in the pocket to shoot or dribble for his teammates. He is an elite talent...why he isn't showing up right now...good question.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Furst has some similarities in that his game is still pretty back to the basket and traditional 4/5 style...but I would argue Furst runs the court much better and I think if you have Furst for 4 years...his game will be much more advanced than Brunks. I expect him to add a nice jumper and to expand it out to the 3pt line by the time his college career is over. Virginia wouldn't be after him if he was Brunk level equivilant.

Brunk does alot of little things that are positive and he is showing signs of improvement.  Brunk has a high ceiling in my opinion as is going to be a big part of this team for the next few years.  

24 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Brunk does alot of little things that are positive and he is showing signs of improvement.  Brunk has a high ceiling in my opinion as is going to be a big part of this team for the next few years.  

How much more growth are you going to see from a 22 year old that just went through the hardest working summer of his life?

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

How much more growth are you going to see from a 22 year old that just went through the hardest working summer of his life?

I think there is plenty or room.  For one, transition to a new system.  Another, Joey has not had a traditional pathway with the time he missed with his father.  Strength and conditioning is another, and really most of all confidence.  From word, he has a jumper; however, not the confidence in a game.  As time goes along, and he becomes more of a leader of the team, there is change.  One can see the moments and now it needs to carry over for a extended time.  

There is a reason the staff starts him!  

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I think there is plenty or room.  For one, transition to a new system.  Another, Joey has not had a traditional pathway with the time he missed with his father.  Strength and conditioning is another, and really most of all confidence.  From word, he has a jumper; however, not the confidence in a game.  As time goes along, and he becomes more of a leader of the team, there is change.  One can see the moments and now it needs to carry over for a extended time.  

There is a reason the staff starts him!  

Just a 10 foot jumper would revolutionize him and the team

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Just a 10 foot jumper would revolutionize him and the team

Indeed. I'm not questioning 5/6 but if he has that in him..he sure isn't showing it...and we need it. Furst has shown he can step out and confidently knock down shots even there in HS. I just think its not hard to say a top 50 recruit in the country doesn't have more upside than Brunk (and taking nothing away from Joey). That said there was a reason he lost a lot of minutes at Butler as they wanted more shooting on the floor. I love the physical presence he gives our team (what Davis would have if injuries wouldn't have derailed him) but he still has parts of his game that could use more polish.

I watched Lander a few times over the summer. He was playing up a class. Leal and Galloway is who stood out to me. Lander is great, but he really needs to work on his shot. I'd LOVE to have him on IU and we may NEED him given our lack of depth at PG. But if he goes elsewhere its not the end of the program. Archie just needs to have a good back up plan. 

On 12/15/2019 at 6:37 PM, IndySportsPartizan said:

I watched Lander a few times over the summer. He was playing up a class. Leal and Galloway is who stood out to me. Lander is great, but he really needs to work on his shot. I'd LOVE to have him on IU and we may NEED him given our lack of depth at PG. But if he goes elsewhere its not the end of the program. Archie just needs to have a good back up plan. 

Enter Carter Whitt

On 12/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, GrangerHoosier said:

This is what I've read too, that he may not be all that impressive. Supposedly Painter stopped recruiting him when he walked into the gym and was yelling back and forth at his dad from the court. He may have a bit of an attitude problem. 

I'm not sure this would be as much of a miss as some would think, although the optics of missing out an a 5 star in state guard aren't that great. 

I know people at Reitz and Lander is universally described as a very nice, humble kid that gets good grades. I’d be very surprised if attitude is an issue.

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

Lol hate Purdue just reporting what the buzz is in Silver Creek!

Do you live in the area, know members of the extended family, and/or have close family members that attend school there?

Be careful how you answer as my answer to each of those questions is 'Yes'.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you live in the area, know members of the extended family, and/or have close family members that attend school there?

You should ask them if they have an ex in the area.

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes have a family member who talks to him often.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not buying it anyway. Recruits feed misinformation all the time. Unless Kaufman has a passion for engineering, I suspect this is one of those times.

I'm not buying that anything was said at all.  I see Kaufman not saying anything over intentionally spreading misinformation.  Or, if something was said, it was a positive comment about Purdue or Painter and the person twisted it into 'He's going there'.  

Archived