Locking down the state

On 9/8/2018 at 8:58 AM, Seeking6 said:

Agree to a certain point....those assistants were a key part....but I still think Knight's way of doing things didn't sit well with the increasing number of parents who coddled their kids. 

There were still plenty of good in state kids that had parents that wanted their sons to play for knight. In early mid 90's between asst coaches leaving knight backing off his recruiting duties and the pressure to get hi profile kids from texas Florida etc it created the perfect storm

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There were still plenty of good in state kids that had parents that wanted their sons to play for knight. In early mid 90's between asst coaches leaving knight backing off his recruiting duties and the pressure to get hi profile kids from texas Florida etc it created the perfect storm

And I'm cherry picking just for the sake of conversation....but we missed out on Mr Indiana for 6 straight years starting in 1991. However and my brain is a little foggy...it seemed like the talent pool in the state was down for those years too. Macon, Fuller, Frierson, Ault....not necessarily top tier sure fire 5 star guys.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And I'm cherry picking just for the sake of conversation....but we missed out on Mr Indiana for 6 straight years starting in 1991. However and my brain is a little foggy...it seemed like the talent pool in the state was down for those years too. Macon, Fuller, Frierson, Ault....not necessarily top tier sure fire 5 star guys.

Exactly.  Sherron was one of our best in state guys. believe it or not Knight was feeling pressure and seeing what Coach K was doing was starting to cause a change in philosophy as far as recruiting. Knight allowed the asst to handle it and that was the mistake

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good memory but you left out Drew!!!!!  LOL  But I think you are spot on......minus a few glitches.

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t parents have really changed all that much. Just with modern technology it’s easier to constantly check up on and “coddle”. In the same vein it’s easier for judgmental unsupportive parents to criticize. 

Not being snarky or rude so if i offend i apologize in advance. Are you in education or in coaching. Even since 1999 parents are night and day. At least in what i have witnessed in 20 years of dealing wuth both parents and kids.  I think the kids have changed less. The parents have made them soft

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not being snarky or rude so if i offend i apologize in advance. Are you in education or in coaching. Even since 1999 parents are night and day. At least in what i have witnessed in 20 years of dealing wuth both parents and kids.  I think the kids have changed less. The parents have made them soft

Agree all day. I coached back in the mid 90's after leaving IU. I can only speak for my 3-4 years in the Carmel area....but from 95-98/99...they changed a ton and I got the hell out of that world. So hard to tell a parent that Johnny doesn't like to play because he sucks....but Johnny's Dad thinks given the right chance he's the next Alford. 

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

No but my wife is.  And she hates helicopter parents but without modern technology they wouldn’t be able to do this    My wife once had a parent send her the parents own grading of a paper and wanted to skype in and discuss it  Before email you couldn’t do that  so you just didn’t  

Same with getting upset about something and wanting to address it  20 years ago you have to wait 12 hours for the next business day.  You probably cool down and move on.  Now you send an email and are committed to the issue  

BTW Every generation thinks the next generation is soft. I used to have a customer who was in the navy during WWII who thought that baby boomers were the laziest bums on the planet

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t parents have really changed all that much. Just with modern technology it’s easier to constantly check up on and “coddle”. In the same vein it’s easier for judgmental unsupportive parents to criticize. 

Oh yeah they have.  In multiple ways.  

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

No but my wife is.  And she hates helicopter parents but without modern technology they wouldn’t be able to do this    My wife once had a parent send her the parents own grading of a paper and wanted to skype in and discuss it  Before email you couldn’t do that  so you just didn’t  

Same with getting upset about something and wanting to address it  20 years ago you have to wait 12 hours for the next business day.  You probably cool down and move on.  Now you send an email and are committed to the issue  

BTW Every generation thinks the next generation is soft. I used to have a customer who was in the navy during WWII who thought that baby boomers were the laziest bums on the planet

Very good points! And everyone is a star on their own social media too. 

On 9/7/2018 at 6:03 PM, Seeking6 said:

And parents changed quite a bit along the way too. 

Yeah, I agree.

Also, I think Coach Knight, as good as he was, got to go to far!

IU didn't rein him in through the late 70's and early to mid 80's enough maybe.

I didn't worry when Delray Brooks transfered.

I didn't think twice when Funderburke transfered.

But when Luke Recker and Jason Collier transfered I knew something was wrong.

Whatever frustrated the man got the better of him!  

10 hours ago, greg haggard said:

Yeah, I agree.

Also, I think Coach Knight, as good as he was, got to go to far!

IU didn't rein him in through the late 70's and early to mid 80's enough maybe.

I didn't worry when Delray Brooks transfered.

I didn't think twice when Funderburke transfered.

But when Luke Recker and Jason Collier transfered I knew something was wrong.

Whatever frustrated the man got the better of him!  

I had all but forgot about Collier. Shame on me there, and thanks for the comment. 

Man, that bummed me out when he went to GT. It appeared that we finally had our high caliber answer to be the true center when he committed.AT the time I thought it may have been Collier wanting to shoot 3's . I bought into rumors a lot more at the time, but you got me thinking now

I hadn't heard his name brought up since a couple people on the 2.0 site were comparing the post-Fischer transfer disappointment to those days.  

26 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I had all but forgot about Collier. Shame on me there, and thanks for the comment. 

Man, that bummed me out when he went to GT. It appeared that we finally had our high caliber answer to be the true center when he committed.AT the time I thought it may have been Collier wanting to shoot 3's . I bought into rumors a lot more at the time, but you got me thinking now

I hadn't heard his name brought up since a couple people on the 2.0 site were comparing the post-Fischer transfer disappointment to those days.  

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/601632/Sophomore-flees-Knight.html

27 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Collier's Daddy didn't like anyone talking hard to his kid. Collier is a perfect example for what we were discussing earlier...parents changed.

22 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Very good points.  Parents are raising a soft generation and i agree technology does play a big part of that.

23 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. I coached back in the mid 90's after leaving IU. I can only speak for my 3-4 years in the Carmel area....but from 95-98/99...they changed a ton and I got the hell out of that world. So hard to tell a parent that Johnny doesn't like to play because he sucks....but Johnny's Dad thinks given the right chance he's the next Alford. 

This!  You were wise then. Lol 

I coached in the last 10 years .These days kids are having individual training and workouts before the 5th grade. A lot of others have parents teaching them the game from a young age, but a few from that crowd impede their child's progress. Few coaches are likely to get more buy in than a kid's dad or mom, so when the parent differs with the coaching, it can lead to a toxic situation, And like you said. Some of it involves working against years of ingrained entitlement 

I've saw some parents play nice for tryouts and the first parent coach meeting until comfy about their child's spot on the team , then it just went downhill from there. Get 2 or 3 kids' parents doing it on the same team  and man..The kids themselves are good children as are their parents as people , but the well is poisoned for a coach by the egos .

The staff I was part of cut out the cancer in season. and moved on which is somewhat unfortunate.Not just because we let our leading scorer and rebounder go.  I'm all for well prepared kids, when it isn't detracting from pulling the same direction.My problem was having to make cuts and knowing I let someone go who would have been allowed to be taught You get a few days to hold tryouts, and it just doesn't surface in time when they enter via feeder schools often without prior ties .

The biggest difference being with a college that means a lot of money out the window. Recruiting budgets at Indiana might be virtual blank checks but at the end of the day loss is loss. Fortunately I've never reached a level where anything like that was my problem. but lost time can be equally damaging to a team's success at lower levels of the game. 

I'm going to say there' are two sides to this discussion. I've been both a coach (soccer, some basketball) and a parent of players (soccer and basketball), with soccer at the highest youth level (from select to Houston Dynamo Academy) and at the junior high, high school and AAU levels in basketball.

Parents who complain about the coaches and their kids' playing time are a problem, but then I've seen my share of coaches who play favorites, who play football kids because they also coach football, who think that "Johny" who never saw a shot he didn't like and scores 20 a game because he takes 25-30 shots and can't share the ball for crap is a great player and the team's leader. There's more to it than parents are spoiled by media.

Archived