Trivia

rico

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes...

Another hint, this player also spent 3 years with the Reds...

And that gave it away.  As a fan of the Reds I grew up listening to the old left-hander, Joe Nuxhall, on the Reds' games.  And with that his admiration of Don Newcombe, not only for his pitching but hitting as well.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

And that gave it away.  As a fan of the Reds I grew up listening to the old left-hander, Joe Nuxhall, on the Reds' games.  And with that his admiration of Don Newcombe, not only for his pitching but hitting as well.

There ya go...a shame he's not in the HOF...he was a dominant pitcher in his era...

I think the lack of postseason success (0-4 8+ ERA) hurts his chances more than it should...

And if they'd left him in, maybe he would have gotten Bobby Thomson out...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

There ya go...a shame he's not in the HOF...he was a dominant pitcher in his era...

I think the lack of postseason success (0-4 8+ ERA) Hurst his chances more than it should...

And if they'd left him in, maybe he would have gotten Bobby Thompson out...

Didn't he play in the Negro League as well?

5 NFL Hall of Fame Quarterbacks selected beyond the first 8 rounds. I may be old but I remember watching all of them on TV. Try naming 3, bonus points if you get the one who was not selected but a free agent!

And no I did not know the answers, I only thought of the question!

Edited by Drroogh

16 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

5 NFL Hall of Fame Quarterbacks selected beyond the first 8 rounds. I may be old but I remember watching all of them on TV. Try naming 3, bonus points if you get the one who was not selected but a free agent!

Roger Staubach?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I'll go with...

Unitas

Starr

Dawson

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Starr and Staubach are usually safe answers. After that maybe Unitas? Got nothing after those.

• Like 1

World series winning infielder, who proved his utility for not just playing 3rd, but also Short, First and without prior experience filled in at Catcher. Hint of no help, one of  my two favorite players on a WS winning team that pretty much got no accolades because of the other players on the team.

Finish that one in twenty minutes!😝 

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

World series winning infielder, who proved his utility for not just playing 3rd, but also Short, First and without prior experience filled in at Catcher. Hint of no help, one of  my two favorite players on a WS winning team that pretty much got no accolades because of the other players on the team.

Finish that one in twenty minutes!😝 

Sorry. Was doing the daily cleaning. No accolades means it had to be plenty of stars. Maybe a Yankees or Dodgers team. Maybe A's?? I got nothing on this one. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry. Was doing the daily cleaning. No accolades means it had to be plenty of stars. Maybe a Yankees or Dodgers team. Maybe A's?? I got nothing on this one. 

First hint, I used to live in Michigan

That ought to pretty much give it away!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Honestly I got nothing. My first intro to Tigers was when Cubs should have played them in 84. Lou/Alan/Morris/Chet/Kirk/Parrish and of course Willie. 

84 Tigers is the right team! Now just name the starting 3rd baseman. By the way my second most favorite player on the team. I became a fan of his when he played for the White Sox. I did grow up in the region after all! Name him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

84 Tigers is the right team! Now just name the starting 3rd baseman. By the way my second most favorite player on the team. I became a fan of his when he played for the White Sox. I did grow up in the region after all! Name him!

My player was actually not a starter in 84, but  was several years prior, he filled in at catcher in 85.

Edited by Drroogh