Butler Pregame Thread

Game Preview

When: Saturday 12/15 at 3:45pm ET on CBS

Vegas: IU -1

ESPN: 48% chance of IU victory

KenPom: IU: #25, Butler: #26. 50% chance of IU victory, predicts final score of IU 72, Butler 71

IU Scouting Report

image.png.7b08e90612ee645c546a6ce5f66d176f.png

Butler Scouting Report

image.png.4ab697ed7c6f738efedddbeef883d0ca.png

We have the advantage on defense, while Butler grades out better on offense. Digging deeper:

• Turnovers - we are 257th in the nation at protecting the ball, while Butler is 21st. That does not bode well.
  • FG Shooting - Butler has the 3p advantage, we have the 2p advantage. Neither advantage is that steep
  • FT Shooting - we are 310th in the nation, Butler is 35th. Thankfully Butler does not get to the line that often (259th in the nation) so hopefully we can keep them off the line the same way we did to Louisville.
  • FG Shooting Allowed - pretty even, we have done a much better job of defending the 3.
  • Turnovers Forced - pretty even
  • Free Throws Allowed - big difference here - Butler sends teams to the line way more than us, ranked 272nd in the nation. Problem is, we have to hit those free throws...

There's...not a lot to like there, to be honest. We have faced stiffer competition, to be sure. We have the 81st SOS, Butler is 157th.

They have three guys averaging double figures...Paul Jorgensen at 17, who is shooting 43% from 3, Kamar Baldwin also at 17, and Sean McDermott at 12, shooting 42% from 3. Butler starts two seniors, two juniors and a sophomore, so they bring experience.

This is gonna be a tough one, folks, in my opinion. I hope I am wrong and we win comfortably.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

This week I'll go with my gut and say 92-68 Indiana. Davis with a double double. Archie's first technical foul at IU. 

Funny stuff on T. We know it's coming. I'm with you though and not sure why Butler is supposed to be close to us. I'll say IU by 18. Something in the 84-66 range.

7 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

This week I'll go with my gut and say 92-68 Indiana. Davis with a double double. Archie's first technical foul at IU. 

Your gut has been making predictions like you've been on a 3-day Taco Bell bender.

Someday, it will be right...someday...

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I bought my son and I tickets for the Crossroads Classic because he wanted this for an early Christmas gift.  I will say IU 73 BU 67

Have a great time. Used to go for years and haven't been in a few. Checking around for tickets this week. Hopefully the secondary market won't be as bad as in years past.

49 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Just for the record...Archie got a technical last year by smacking the scorers table and note cards going all over the floor. 

I expect another close game. Hopefully we don't lose this game. These Indiana mid-major teams play tough and with a chip on their shoulders when they play us. This is a dangerous game and we basically got nothing to gain playing them. If we win, people will say it was expected. If we lose, we give those mid-majors bragging rights. 

We're a bad 3-point & free throw shooting team, so we probably won't beat them (or any decent team) in the 80's. The game will be physical, defense-oriented game and both teams would score 60+. 

It could be close, but I don't think this is going to be as close as some of you do.

Butler has lost to St. Louis and Dayton.  Their best win is against a 3-3 Florida team.

I'm sure they will come out ready to show what they've got against IU, but we've already played 5-6 tougher games than this one.

Last week I had IU 68 UofL 63.....which was dang close considering a last second half court shot made it closer. This week I think there will be more scoring. Butler's defense isn't UofL that is for sure. IU 79-71 over Butler. I expect a pretty close game that will fluctuate between 4 points up for either team throughout...then we finish the game by actually hitting some free throws. We are much deeper...we need to get their key figures in foul trouble and let Juwan eat inside and Romeo slash to the hoop! Our guards will limit their looks from 3.

31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Last week I had IU 68 UofL 63.....which was dang close considering a last second half court shot made it closer. This week I think there will be more scoring. Butler's defense isn't UofL that is for sure. IU 79-71 over Butler. I expect a pretty close game that will fluctuate between 4 points up for either team throughout...then we finish the game by actually hitting some free throws. We are much deeper...we need to get their key figures in foul trouble and let Juwan eat inside and Romeo slash to the hoop! Our guards will limit their looks from 3.

I had IU 66-64 and so that was close as well

33 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

It could be close, but I don't think this is going to be as close as some of you do.

Butler has lost to St. Louis and Dayton.  Their best win is against a 3-3 Florida team.

I'm sure they will come out ready to show what they've got against IU, but we've already played 5-6 tougher games than this one.

I think we are better than Butler too, but wouldn't go that far. This game is tougher than any of our home games. Kenpom says Butler will be the 2nd best team we've played, Sagarin says 4th best.

I think we win close but I'm pretty nervous about this one. 

16 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I think we are better than Butler too, but wouldn't go that far. This game is tougher than any of our home games. Kenpom says Butler will be the 2nd best team we've played, Sagarin says 4th best.

I think we win close but I'm pretty nervous about this one. 

I'll be honest, I'm nervous about most of our games!

Archived