Applewhite fired at Houston after two years and 15-11

Payday

He is one of the better young offense minds but when he took the head coaching job at Houston I told a Houston booster friend they had to give him four years. He is young, he can learn, but man would he be a catch for IU as an OC. And he has a better record than Allen so when Allen is fired you have head coach experience that can keep continuity. But he is just not ready to be a full time head coach right now.

He’s well regarded and has good connections in Texas which would be a major plus.  

But, as a parent of a player, what did you think about the thing with Ed Oliver and his coat?  To me, discipline is important.  But, having rules is one thing if they make sense but arbitrary stuff just to put you in your place like that doesn’t cut it in today’s world.  At least that’s what I think would be said in recruiting.  Plus, when Ed Oliver is one of the ten or so best players in the country, it doesn’t seem that smart.  The ability to use power appropriately is difficult for many people, and as a coach he made some bad impressions in terms of smarts, maturity, etc. 

44 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He’s well regarded and has good connections in Texas which would be a major plus.  

But, as a parent of a player, what did you think about the thing with Ed Oliver and his coat?  To me, discipline is important.  But, having rules is one thing if they make sense but arbitrary stuff just to put you in your place like that doesn’t cut it in today’s world.  At least that’s what I think would be said in recruiting.  Plus, when Ed Oliver is one of the ten or so best players in the country, it doesn’t seem that smart.  The ability to use power appropriately is difficult for many people, and as a coach he made some bad impressions in terms of smarts, maturity, etc. 

I have a feeling that other things happened leading up to this.  It seems like Applewhite lost the team as they lost 4 of their last 5 games including a 70-14 beating in their bowl game.  I worry about someone's leadership when things like that happen.  We'd be better off with an up and comer who wouldn't be looking to jump ship before stepping foot on campus.

21 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

O

20 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I have a feeling that other things happened leading up to this.  It seems like Applewhite lost the team as they lost 4 of their last 5 games including a 70-14 beating in their bowl game.  I worry about someone's leadership when things like that happen.  We'd be better off with an up and comer who wouldn't be looking to jump ship before stepping foot on campus.

He is just not ready to head coach. You are both correct. But he is an interesting consideration for OC.

31 minutes ago, Payday said:

O

He is just not ready to head coach. You are both correct. But he is an interesting consideration for OC.

It would be interesting. I wonder if he thinks he's not ready to be a head coach. Now that he's had a taste, would he be willing to go back to being an OC, or will he try to get another head coaching job.

Archived