Don’t expect the shooting to get much better under CAM

DC2345

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Indykev said:

Indiana is 4th in the country in 2pt FG% at 58%. Top 3 are Gonzaga, Dayton and Duke.

Thank you. Rob, Anderson and Hunter will all be good 3 point shooters before leaving here. Al is our best outside shooter right now, imo, and that is the telling story. You have to have the players and we dont.

So, you're saying that Dayton is shooting better now that Archie left.  :coffee:

6 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Archie:

image.png.8be3e0bd0afe78b1f934d43408551a51.png

Brad:

image.png.e292ce98cdc7e52f9399afa7869a9f4c.png

So Archie had an average rank of 63.5 in 8 years, and Stevens had an average rank of 74.5 in 6 years.  Throw out their worst outlier years, and the average rank is 51.7 for Archie and 43 for Stevens.  Still not that great for Stevens even without the one terrible year.  Wouldn’t have guessed that, thanks for the info.

If there is a problem with shooting on this team, and there is, that is a byproduct of Crean and Miller's recruiting, not coaching.  And it didn't help that two of the better shooters on the team (Hunter and Thompson) missed the entire season.  The idea that college coaches have a meaningful impact on shooting is highly overrated.  Of course the scheme can create more open looks, but this offense is creating open looks.  They just aren't being made.

8 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

If there is a problem with shooting on this team, and there is, that is a byproduct of Crean and Miller's recruiting, not coaching.  And it didn't help that two of the better shooters on the team (Hunter and Thompson) missed the entire season.  The idea that college coaches have a meaningful impact on shooting is highly overrated.  Of course the scheme can create more open looks, but this offense is creating open looks.  They just aren't being made.

Enjoy the sound reasoned approach you take to evaluating the program. I love your site as well.  I see 2 weaknesses in the current roster.  Shooting and lack of a true post presence.  I still think that Morgan is the key to turning around this years team if there is to be such a thing.  If Morgan doesn't become Yogi and demand more from his team mates in both execution and tenacity, I think we may well miss the dance yet again.  Morgan and Romeo are not enough and Smith has not developed at the rate we needed due to injuries to Hunter, Thompson, and Davis.  With all the accolades thrown CAM's way after his first recruiting class and now into his second and knowing we have a dearth of shooters currently I have 2 reservations that we see much improvement for another 2-3 yrs.  I am not so optimistic about next year as I was previously.  The reservations I have are:

1.  CAM knowing the lack of shooters still doesn't seem to be targeting such players currently

2.  CAM does not appear to be recruiting a true Center.  In addition to lack of shooting, we struggle to play teams with decent Big in the paint.  Morgan is too small.  If I understand his philosophy correctly to date, he seem content to double with quickness that can then recover rather than playing more man D and countering with another Big.  I am dubious that this is good late in games when players get little winded and foul prone.  

I agree the shots are there and are being created for the most part by the offense.  We simply can't make the shots.  Players seem hesitant or quick  to shoot and are not as fluid as they should be.  I don't know if that is due to fear of failure from the coaching staff or simple lack of confidence.  The FT shooting is a complete enigma considering these are D1 players.  

18 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Enjoy the sound reasoned approach you take to evaluating the program. I love your site as well.  I see 2 weaknesses in the current roster.  Shooting and lack of a true post presence.  I still think that Morgan is the key to turning around this years team if there is to be such a thing.  If Morgan doesn't become Yogi and demand more from his team mates in both execution and tenacity, I think we may well miss the dance yet again.  Morgan and Romeo are not enough and Smith has not developed at the rate we needed due to injuries to Hunter, Thompson, and Davis.  With all the accolades thrown CAM's way after his first recruiting class and now into his second and knowing we have a dearth of shooters currently I have 2 reservations that we see much improvement for another 2-3 yrs.  I am not so optimistic about next year as I was previously.  The reservations I have are:

1.  CAM knowing the lack of shooters still doesn't seem to be targeting such players currently

2.  CAM does not appear to be recruiting a true Center.  In addition to lack of shooting, we struggle to play teams with decent Big in the paint.  Morgan is too small.  If I understand his philosophy correctly to date, he seem content to double with quickness that can then recover rather than playing more man D and countering with another Big.  I am dubious that this is good late in games when players get little winded and foul prone.  

I agree the shots are there and are being created for the most part by the offense.  We simply can't make the shots.  Players seem hesitant or quick  to shoot and are not as fluid as they should be.  I don't know if that is due to fear of failure from the coaching staff or simple lack of confidence.  The FT shooting is a complete enigma considering these are D1 players.  

Both #1 and #2 bug me as well. The only one we seem to be targeting as far as shooters is Leal. Maybe Morton is a good shooter too? Don't get me wrong, we've got several guys that are capable of knocking down a three but not a single dead eye shooter. If there are 13 scholarships to hand out, I'd always like to have one on the team at all times. Not sure Archie feels the same way about that philosophy though which concerns me some.

As for #2, do you think Clifton, Jake or TJD are big enough to be considered true 5's? The move to position less "small ball" made me think at the beginning of the season any one of the 3 are physically big enough to play the 5 for us down the road, but we've been exposed fairly bad in this area. Now I'm questioning if that would be successful. Thankfully we have Deron next year as well, hopefully he can enjoy a fully healthy season his senior year.  

9 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

As for #2, do you think Clifton, Jake or TJD are big enough to be considered true 5's? The move to position less "small ball" made me think at the beginning of the season any one of the 3 are physically big enough to play the 5 for us down the road, but we've been exposed fairly bad in this area. Now I'm questioning if that would be successful. Thankfully we have Deron next year as well, hopefully he can enjoy a fully healthy season his senior year.  

I don't think Jake or TJD are big enough to bang with many of the Bigs at this level currently.  Cliff could develop over time if he can bulk up some.  Time will tell which philosophy is correct.  I just think in close games at the end when players are tired the smaller but quicker players may be at a disadvantage when playing in the half court.  

I'm still all in on CAM.  I just have these concerns as fan watching us play the last 2yrs.  CAM has certainly forgotten more than I will ever know!

Archived