Problems That Seem Unlikely to Get Fixed This Season

Great piece TDH! I keep seeing some posters saying this team has plenty of capable shooters. So what? ‘Capable shooters’ don’t scare a defense. There’s literally one guy in the entire rotation that a defense would run off a 3 and force a dribble and that’s Fitzner. 

If im defending IU, I would rather everyone else in the rotation (Langford, Morgan, Durham, Green, Phinisee, McRoberts, and anyone else I’m forgetting) shoot a 3 instead of drive. Pack it in and let those guys shoot IU out of the game. None of those guys scare me from the perimeter. None of those guys, except maybe Langford if he gets hot, do I fear hitting 3-4 threes in a half, and even Langford I’m going to make him show me he can do it first. 

Much like last year, this roster has a bunch of streaky, average at best perimeter shooters. Langford is deadly from the mid-range, but I’d live with that as a defense and just collapse and force him to pass to other guys on the perimeter. 

There also isn’t much a staff can do to make an average shooter a great shooter during the season. Even in the offseason, it’s not likely to turn someone into a great shooter. We need to recruit some shooters, hope Hunter is an above average shooter, etc. 

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Great piece TDH! I keep seeing some posters saying this team has plenty of capable shooters. So what? ‘Capable shooters’ don’t scare a defense. There’s literally one guy in the entire rotation that a defense would run off a 3 and force a dribble and that’s Fitzner. 

If im defending IU, I would rather everyone else in the rotation (Langford, Morgan, Durham, Green, Phinisee, McRoberts, and anyone else I’m forgetting) shoot a 3 instead of drive. Pack it in and let those guys shoot IU out of the game. None of those guys scare me from the perimeter. None of those guys, except maybe Langford if he gets hot, do I fear hitting 3-4 threes in a half, and even Langford I’m going to make him show me he can do it first. 

Much like last year, this roster has a bunch of streaky, average at best perimeter shooters. Langford is deadly from the mid-range, but I’d live with that as a defense and just collapse and force him to pass to other guys on the perimeter. 

There also isn’t much a staff can do to make an average shooter a great shooter during the season. Even in the offseason, it’s not likely to turn someone into a great shooter. We need to recruit some shooters, hope Hunter is an above average shooter, etc. 

It's funny, when we signed Zeisloft I remember thinking "why the hell did we sign this guy that averaged 7 points a game at Illinois State?"   We need a Zeisloft.  Or two.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hunter is a shooter, he really would’ve helped, and will next season. 

Fitz can shoot, why he isn’t shooting or even playing is something I don’t really get. 

Playing?? He has played in every game basically but the last game and can’t get his shot off...he is way way too slow. He can’t get a rebound and is the worst defender on the whole team. His plus minus is probably off the chart bad. Moore playing is an improvement. I do agree about Hunter. He is a good shooter and would likely be much more effective in those ball reversals than McRoberts but it is what it is. 3 pt help is not on the way anytime soon. We aren’t recruiting any “shooters”. Some great players but shooting from distance is not a priority for Archie it seems...and based on his other teams won’t ever be.

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

can’t get his shot off...he is way way too slow. He can’t get a rebound and is the worst defender on the whole team. 

I remember a few things about zeisloft he came in as a terrible Defender but he worked his tail off to become average. I also remember Tom crean would run plays specifically for him when he came in to get him shots. If Fitz is going to play he needs to get open for shots if not leave him on the bench.  This is the problem with coaches that are married to a system and don't adapt to personnel.  

Fitz was able to shoot for 2 games. I thought wow. this guy will never miss. Now crickets on his jump shot.  Archie seems to be trying to plug holes until his recruits get to be upperclassmen.   IMO, he swung and missed on Fitz but what were the alternatives other than the kid from UE.  Maybe that kid put education 1st when a chance to go to NW came along.  Who knows.   Taylor at SG with romeo at SF would sure look good.  IMO, Archie dropped the ball here if Taylor felt he would not have much opportunity to get PT at IU.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There is a lot of CAM has to deal with CTC players wait to it's all his players. Great point but outside of RP no CAM player can throw it in the ocean. No shooters coming next year. I am sure there are some but who is the last team to win it all or make FF run with no shooters.

You talking the 3-point era?

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Mainly but any era.  Even before the 3pt line guys extended the floor because of their range. To play us you dont have have to extend beyond 12 ft 

UK win it without great shooting but I think Lamb went off during the tourney  iirc 

I would say the MJ UNC team, the Ewing led Georgetown squads, the Phi Slama Jama Houston teams......but all before the 3-point era.

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There is a lot of CAM has to deal with CTC players wait to it's all his players. Great point but outside of RP no CAM player can throw it in the ocean. No shooters coming next year. I am sure there are some but who is the last team to win it all or make FF run with no shooters.

You are right in my opinion that we won't win a NC or get a FF  run without some knock down shooters on the team. There are to many teams and good coaches that have a balanced offensive game. Archie is still young and I think has a need for the fast lane for improving coming from Dayton to IU. It is a huge jump in facing much more quality rosters and coaches. My opinion is he has gotten a good taste of that already and will adjust his roster in the near future.

13 minutes ago, Cutter said:

You are right in my opinion that we won't win a NC or get a FF  run without some knock down shooters on the team. There are to many teams and good coaches that have a balanced offensive game. Archie is still young and I think has a need for the fast lane for improving coming from Dayton to IU. It is a huge jump in facing much more quality rosters and coaches. My opinion is he has gotten a good taste of that already and will adjust his roster in the near future.

I agree but at the expense of 2 great players. How good would we be with a Kyle Hornsby on this team? He may not play thought because he never was the greatest defender. 

15 minutes ago, rico said:

I would say the MJ UNC team, the Ewing led Georgetown squads, the Phi Slama Jama Houston teams......but all before the 3-point era.

The Danny Manning Kansas team that won it all in 88 has teams statistics eerily similar to ours this year. 2 pt. FG % was outstanding at 54.3%. Only shot 33.5% from 3's. Only shot 69% on free throws. Manning carried that team, but almost all from inside play. He shot 26 3's over the course of 38 games.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

That is the NBA.  But those teams punished you from 15 feet on in.  They didn't beat you from shooting from the perimeter.  

Each of those team had 3 or more future NBA players and excellent guard play.

JJ and Jeff Newton killed people inside because teams had to respect our shooters. All those other great teams you mentioned had shooters

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The Danny Manning Kansas team that won it all in 88 has teams statistics eerily similar to ours this year. 2 pt. FG % was outstanding at 54.3%. Only shot 33.5% from 3's. Only shot 69% on free throws. Manning carried that team, but almost all from inside play. He shot 26 3's over the course of 38 games.

Romeo and Juwan are great and Juwan could carry us but I feel with no serious outside threat in the tourney a team will get hot and go on a run. We dont have that capability in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree but at the expense of 2 great players. How good would we be with a Kyle Hornsby on this team? He may not play thought because he never was the greatest defender. 

Yes if things don't change RLand JM won't reach their highest potential at the college level this year. To easy to guard this team. I agree on Hornsby and would like to see the staff have already offered Leal for the same purpose. Remember Eric Frohm (sp) from south good solid front court player, would have liked to seen him as a hoosier. Archie being defensive first is ok but your offense has to be 1a. I am hoping we see adjustments tonight as I am predicting we beat Northwestern and Michigan Friday 

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Forget Kyle Hornsby but Kyle Guy would look better in IU red than UVA blue and Orange

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I remember a few things about zeisloft he came in as a terrible Defender but he worked his tail off to become average. I also remember Tom crean would run plays specifically for him when he came in to get him shots. If Fitz is going to play he needs to get open for shots if not leave him on the bench.  This is the problem with coaches that are married to a system and don't adapt to personnel.  

100% agree. I think if you want to get Fitz 3 pt looks you need to run him pick n rolls at top of the key with Romeo. Have him pick and pop back. That said his shot takes a long time. He doesn’t have a short stroke. Otherwise yes he brings nothing to defense and rebounding so if we can’t get him a couple looks he has to come out. At least Moore can contest shots. Hadn’t Moore worked on his jumper?? Haven’t seen that yet. What I wouldn’t give for a Matt Nover on this team. Some toughness and a nice jumper when defense collapses on Langford and Morgan.

Archived