Good Read // Column: Stop Calling for Archie's Job

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This will go into the category of you can't make this crap up.  A thread on another board was started that after IU fires Archie we should hire Kelvin Sampson.

You can't say Kelvin Sampson can't coach.  He broke the rules (which isn't an issue today, stupid rule in that day anyways) and paid the price, as did IU.  But no one ever said the man cannot coach

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You can't say Kelvin Sampson can't coach.  He broke the rules (which isn't an issue today, stupid rule in that day anyways) and paid the price, as did IU.  But no one ever said the man cannot coach

He can coach but it was not about making to much phone calls. It was the type of kids he brought in and the culture that was created while he was here.

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Bigger issue with Sampson is not that he broke rules that now aren't even violations. 

At least during his time at IU, he was a terrible judge of character, and allowed kids on his team who had no business being at IU. He either thought that winning would cure all evils, or he didn't care.

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Bigger issue with Sampson is not that he broke rules that now aren't even violations. 

At least during his time at IU, he was a terrible judge of character, and allowed kids on his team who had no business being at IU. He either thought that winning would cure all evils, or he didn't care.

True, can still coach

On 1/24/2019 at 11:52 AM, IU Scott said:

Heard one of the dumbest comments ever on another board when someone said that the people who criticize Archie and want him gone are the people who no basketball and care about the program.  He also said the ones that back him have no basketball knowledge and they truly don't care about the success of the program.

These types must want to bring in a new coach every other year until one has immediate success. Funny thing is immediate success will then be attributed to the previous coach's recruits and once that success dips a bit, they'll want another coach again. Can't imagine living like that.

It makes me cringe to think any fan wants to fire Archie already. This season has hit a skid but we need some perspective and not all of the issues can be put on the coach. I get we are tired of mediocrity and being told we are in rebuild. Fact is we are in a rebuild and we have to give some time. IU has had a terrible habit of keeping bad coaches too long but just as bad is firing coaches too soon.

50 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

It makes me cringe to think any fan wants to fire Archie already. This season has hit a skid but we need some perspective and not all of the issues can be put on the coach. I get we are tired of mediocrity and being told we are in rebuild. Fact is we are in a rebuild and we have to give some time. IU has had a terrible habit of keeping bad coaches too long but just as bad is firing coaches too soon.

Once again, I have not seen anyone here call to fire Archie.  What I see is a few guys reporting what they have read on other sites, and sharing that information on this site.  And then it snow balls.  

Just now, rico said:

Once again, I have not seen anyone here call to fire Archie.  What I see is a few guys reporting what they have read on other sites, and sharing that information on this site.  And then it snow balls.  

So you think this site is the only place IU fans vent because this is just  small portion of IU fans.  Is this the best site and most rational, by far but there are a lot of lunatics out there on other sites and social media outlets.

Just now, IU Scott said:

So you think this site is the only place IU fans vent because this is just  small portion of IU fans.  Is this the best site and most rational, by far but there are a lot of lunatics out there on other sites and social media outlets.

No, I didn't say that at all.  And each to their own.  I am just me, I stay right here and am not privy to what is being said on other IU sites.

1 minute ago, rico said:

No, I didn't say that at all.  And each to their own.  I am just me, I stay right here and am not privy to what is being said on other IU sites.

It is all of the media outlets radio, TV Twitter and there are a lot of idiots out there calling for Archie's head already.  You might not think so but this makes our fan base look bad and could hurt recruiting.  You don't think other coaches won't use this kind of thing in doing some negative recruiting.  You don't think Izzo will go to brook's and say why go to IU and that fan base if they turn so quickly on the team.

Maybe this is the former coach in me, but if you have ever had to try coaching with 8 players available for practice for a couple of weeks, you know how quickly your team falls behind the learning curve.  I had to deal with it at small high school level, but at least I could pull a few football players in and get through it.  I can only imagine, at this level, how much we lost in December by not being able to go full in practice.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is all of the media outlets radio, TV Twitter and there are a lot of idiots out there calling for Archie's head already.  You might not think so but this makes our fan base look bad and could hurt recruiting.  You don't think other coaches won't use this kind of thing in doing some negative recruiting.  You don't think Izzo will go to brook's and say why go to IU and that fan base if they turn so quickly on the team.

Izzo is a bad example, with what has gone on up there.  

43 minutes ago, Mohepa said:

Maybe this is the former coach in me, but if you have ever had to try coaching with 8 players available for practice for a couple of weeks, you know how quickly your team falls behind the learning curve.  I had to deal with it at small high school level, but at least I could pull a few football players in and get through it.  I can only imagine, at this level, how much we lost in December by not being able to go full in practice.

How many walk-ons does IU have?

On 1/24/2019 at 11:36 AM, NotIThatLives said:

Does this not sound familiar? 

"runs a system that requires versatility and length. He runs a system that is focused on defensive output and without the athletes need to run that system, struggles are inevitable."  

I thought that's what we said about CTC. 

CTC and CAM are not aligned at all in their commitment to defensive output. 

Incidentally, that’s when the slide began for this team, when we started to wane on defense. Not sure why they have become so exposed on defense, but it’s been about as tough to watch the defensive lapses as it has to watch them regress in terms of finding their offensive identity.

Archived