Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I 100% believe this. It doesn't matter if we think every team has their crazies. IU fans are getting the press and the reputation on this.  I would also submit that we are naturally biased against thinking we are particularly bad.  I think IU fans as a whole are considerably worse than average when it comes to interactional behavior with players and recruits. Nothing to back that up but my eyes but I see a lot of irrational and immature behavior...less so in this forum but we're not immune here either.

I agree  , there isnt much on this forum. But Facebook and twitter is brutal!  Again, if a parent or recruit comes here or another forum and is digging, that one thing.  Direct messages are completely different animal

I've said it before, but we are a self sabotaging fan base. From the coaches all the way down to recruits 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate Twitter and I hate the way recruiting works these days.  Yeah, fans suck when they go directly after these kids but man, I also hate posts like his, "hit me up with all of that affirmation and adulation that I deserve..."

Yuck on all counts and get off my lawn.

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes recruits and their families check out twitter and message boards and we will keep losing recruits because of it(Brooks).

Sorry to disagree. That's just an excuse. Like others have said anyone troll can do what they want. These kids and their families know how social media works and if basing the most important decision of your life on what people say on social media I think that there are bigger issues the families need to deal with.  Everyone has to have an excuse and that is an easy one. The fact that for 8 weeks we were the worst team in the country is what open a door that was sealed pretty tight for the lure of CAL and company to knock it down. The idea of OAD played to father and that was the end of story. Social media had no play in this decision

5 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I agree  , there isnt much on this forum. But Facebook and twitter is brutal!  Again, if a parent or recruit comes here or another forum and is digging, that one thing.  Direct messages are completely different animal

It is not right to go after the players, but I will say that some of the issue within the fanbase is attributable to how this program is marketed and how that is diametrically opposed to how it is run.  Loyal customers get salty when they realize they have been sold a bill of goods.  The Indiana fanbase has been marketed to as consumers of a "blue blood" program when in reality the A.D. has run it like a mid-major mixed with a money making scheme.  The chickens are unfortunately coming home to roost.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Sorry to disagree. That's just an excuse. Like others have said anyone troll can do what they want. These kids and their families know how social media works and if basing the most important decision of your life on what people say on social media I think that there are bigger issues the families need to deal with.  Everyone has to have an excuse and that is an easy one. The fact that for 8 weeks we were the worst team in the country is what open a door that was sealed pretty tight for the lure of CAL and company to knock it down. The idea of OAD played to father and that was the end of story. Social media had no play in this decision

Just going by what I have read many times and twitter post from Brook's mom.  Nobody liked to hear it but some need to get their head out of the sand and realize that fans can have a negative effect on recruiting.

I have 2 kids 23 and 20 that are all over social media, myself never have never will but I know that most on it post to get likes and then check it constantly to find out just how liked they are. Its an ego boost thats all. I used to joke and tell my students that I believed social Media to be the anti Christ, the most powerful way to spread evil. Not so sure I was that far off. I can tell you important life decisions are not made on what others say about people on social media. If thats what made up their mind then peace and don't let the door hit you on the way out, and have fun in the place where they truly eat their own!!

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just going by what I have read many times and twitter post from Brook's mom.  Nobody liked to hear it but some need to get their head out of the sand and realize that fans can have a negative effect on recruiting.

So because they said it on social media its true. Then maybe what others have said about them is true also right? 

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It is not right to go after the players, but I will say that some of the issue within the fanbase is attributable to how this program is marketed and how that is diametrically opposed to how it is run.  Loyal customers get salty when they realize they have been sold a bill of goods.  The Indiana fanbase has been marketed to as a "blue blood" but has been run like a mid-major.  The chickens are unfortunately coming home to roost.

I dont disagree with you at all.  Just saying, as a fan base the negativity does not help. It all hurts, it may be small things but it all adds up to mediocrity.  And one hell of a tough place to coach! Dream job we are far from

Just now, HOOSIER1321 said:

So according to you guys a bunch of us should just make twitter profiles of the teams we are recruiting against and bash the kids and then we will win these kids over?

A lot of people do and don't think rival coaches doesn't use this in negative recruiting as well.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Paul Bianccardi and he says he heard form families that they monitor twitter and message boards

Can Brooks mother spell Kentucky then? Because they have the worst social media monsters of any fan base by far. You could take the hate and stupidity of our fans x100 and then add up all of them from every B1G school and their would still be more idiot Kentucky fans saying hateful horrible things on the internet and twitter than us. It’s called a narrative...she starts a narrative about how bad IU fans are to deflect the fact he isn’t staying home to play for us and instead going the OAD route. Make all the excuses she wants that’s fine but everyone knows the crown belongs to Kentucky for awful idiot fans and it isn’t even close.

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Nail meet head.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Also going by what I hear Bianccardi has said on TV about this topic.

I can tell you that when people break up or change jobs or stand you up on a date what ever the case is that involves hey we dont like you. The answer most times is not the real reason but let me find a reason to make myself look better and for you to not feel bad.  When the girl says I can't go out with you i need to wash my hair, it really means you are not in my league and you are ugly. and when a recruit says I was dead set on coming to your school but man those fans on social media I can't go there means someone gave me an offer I couldn't refuse or your program is not heading in the direction that best suits me. I want to get to the league ASAP and i am not sure you will help me. There are lots of ways to say it but the truth usually is not what is said. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It’s called a narrative...she starts a narrative about how bad IU fans are to deflect the fact he isn’t staying home to play for us and instead going the OAD route. 

I think with Brooks you are right.  That was deflection.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Can Brooks mother spell Kentucky then? Because they have the worst social media monsters of any fan base by far. You could take the hate and stupidity of our fans x100 and then add up all of them from every B1G school and their would still be more idiot Kentucky fans saying hateful horrible things on the internet and twitter than us. It’s called a narrative...she starts a narrative about how bad IU fans are to deflect the fact he isn’t staying home to play for us and instead going the OAD route. Make all the excuses she wants that’s fine but everyone knows the crown belongs to Kentucky for awful idiot fans and it isn’t even close.

That is probably true but the IU fans are the ones that have been brought up and getting the bad publicity.  Just because UK does it does not make it the right thing to do and we should follow them.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A lot of people do and don't think rival coaches doesn't use this in negative recruiting as well.

every single program has people that act that way. We notice because its us. Coaches use every angle they can,like I said there are still many saying CAM and staff won't be here in 4 years. Doe not mean its true. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is probably true but the IU fans are the ones that have been brought up and getting the bad publicity.  Just because UK does it does not make it the right thing to do and we should follow them.

Nobody thinks that...that would be awful but let’s be real...it didn’t change Brooks decision..you can’t honestly think that.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Of course they are because we all thought he was coming here and they pulled a 180 and to not look like the bad guy that informed the staff he was coming let me find an angle to not be the bad guy and at the same time blast the fan base that I just jilted.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

every single program has people that act that way. We notice because its us. Coaches use every angle they can,like I said there are still many saying CAM and staff won't be here in 4 years. Doe not mean its true. 

I’m just going to stop because you have this covered...you are so right on. Continue the good fight man!

We absolutely live in a "fake news" society and with that the "truth" gets skewed and distorted.  The problem is a lot of people believe everything they read and see on Facebook or Twitter.  If it is on the internet it must be true......which is far from the truth.

Archived