Lester Quinones Commits to Memphis

Hoosierdave

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you like how they recruit why not go over and join the big blue nation.  It is funny that they get all of these top players and yet Cal has only one championship to show for it.  I will never want IU to recruit like UK or Duke does because I don't want to see us be a one and done factory.  Give me the system like UVA and Villanova any day of the week.

The whole point of the post was about message boards turning kids off on programs Scott. My point was it does not seem to have any affect for programs like that.  No I do not like how they recruit for th record. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I wonder if Penny or Archie have been told either way of Lester's choice. If not,....I wonder what Archie is doing to pass time the day before his announcement. Does he stay in contact through phone calls or texts in hopes that he can somehow sway him? 

I saw that Lester said on Instagram Live he FaceTimed the coach of the school he chose to inform them of his decision..

LQ said in an interview not too long ago that Penny FaceTimes him daily.. Not very encouraging.

Archie also doesn't strike me as the FaceTime type of guy. Lol.

9 minutes ago, KDB said:

I saw that Lester said on Instagram Live he FaceTimed the coach of the school he chose to inform them of his decision..

LQ said in an interview not too long ago that Penny FaceTimes him daily.. Not very encouraging.

Either way, kids have changed their mind last minute.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Either way, kids have changed their mind last minute.

That is why I asked if either coach had been informed yet.....I just don't see Archie and staff sitting on their hands. If there is any inkling of an opportunity for IU, Archie seems like the kind of guy that will go out swinging....

14 minutes ago, KDB said:

Archie is always wearing an iWatch though so I'm sure he FaceTimes on occasion.  Still no chance on this one.

Well Arch did his best but as several have said it was a little to late.  I’m not trying to get anything started but keep your eyes and ears open for someone that was very interested in IU, that is already committed and who is being recruited over to possibly have second thoughts. Nothing happening yet but some chatter starting that a certain French fry condiment could be up for sale again.  Don’t get too excited just yet though, gotta see how the other dominoes fall first.  May be a moot point but something to watch.

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Where do IU players stay on campus?  According to a UK site, one of the Wildcat Lodge options is a single room as part of a suite.  Gotta say, that sounds better than a tiny 2-person dorm room.

Rabjohns said in th he podcast that even with Cook Hall, the new players lounge etc., IU is still behind the big boys in amenities.

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Don’t, not yet anyway.

I was also told it was his DADS decision not his to go to that other college. Not sure if I ever shared that or not.  

No surprise Cal lied to him and recruited over him first chance he got.  I won't get too excited just yet as I'm still pretty turned off about the press conference comments.  I realize he's a kid, but it's just so refreshing how well IU commits have interviewed.

Sounds like ol' dad did him no favors.

17 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Well Arch did his best but as several have said it was a little to late.  I’m not trying to get anything started but keep your eyes and ears open for someone that was very interested in IU, that is already committed and who is being recruited over to possibly have second thoughts. Nothing happening yet but some chatter starting that a certain French fry condiment could be up for sale again.  Don’t get too excited just yet though, gotta see how the other dominoes fall first.  May be a moot point but something to watch.

Whether this happens or not I appreciate you bringing this up. It has to cross a kids mind. Just does. Kentucky has received more verbals, players returning....no way it can't at least cross his mind. Stuck on the bench or playing/contributing right away. 

26 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I posted something a while back wondering if Keion was having second thoughts...I won't get too excited 0708...thanks for the update!

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well that is the problem because only 1% of all college athletes become professional athletes.  I think today to many kids believe the hype and think they will play in the NBA but they re no where good enough to go to the NBA especially early on.

If you think like that...then sure...you will never make the NBA. Only 3% of HS kids make it to D1. If you are a top 100 recruit in your class you are already in the top 10% of your class...why wouldn’t you think you can be in that top 1%?? People with the mental makeup to be that successful are confident in themselves...of course they believe they will make it. You want confident players on our team correct??

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I went to USI on a partial academic scholarship.  Without question, a big reason I went to college was to get an education and in return, a good job when I got out.  Without question, I felt the university prepared me well for the business world and I had no difficulty getting a job when I graduated.  A few important distinctions here...

Scholarship recipients were expected to help with the fundraising drive each year so I, along with a bunch of other students spent time manning the phones and dialing for dollars.  I didn't like it, but since I got reduced tuition, I did it as a way to say thanks for the assistance.

Unlike D1 basketball players, I had to pay part of my tuition and all of my living expenses.  No monthly stipend either.

As a part of my appreciation for the education I got, along with the tuition assistance which helped pay for it, I donate regularly when students call me soliciting donations.  I probably do it partially in sympathy for students having to make the calls.

Had I received a full ride and a stipend as well, I would feel that much more obligated to give back to the school that was so good to me.  I'm guessing today's D1 package at public schools like IU is worth $40-50K/year.  If I'm being paid like that by my current "employer", you'd better believe I'd feel very obligated to do a lot more than simply prepare for my next job.

...and given the odds, most of these kids going to college to prepare for making a living playing basketball would be better served preparing for life after basketball.  That's just the reality of how the odds are stacked against them having the kind of career success that would allow them to retire after their playing days were done.

I can guarantee the money generated from our athletes more than makeup for their scholarship. Basketball and football revenues which wouldn’t exist without athletes is a huge part of the money that pays for the other scholarships for students and other non revenue sports. I appreciate what you do for the school it’s obviously not D1 and more limited in generating revenue but these athletes more than pay back their scholarship at a school like IU. Not only that but if they do go to the pro they generate millions more in promoting the school and yes we see many players come back and donate to the school. I think it’s a reciprocal benefit for both athlete and university. So I don’t think a kid using the university in an attempt to go pro is a problem at all...we should want all of ours to do it...it will benefit the program in publicity and university in money in the long run. You don’t see UK complaining about it...those kids barely finish a semester and are gone and yet the school greatly benefits for many many years from having them. Sure it upsets many hardcore fans...but that’s not caused the majority to stop showing up.

31 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This is NOT happening. Come on. Be better than this

35 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

SHWING!

catsupintheclouds.jpg

5 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

This is NOT happening. Come on. Be better than this

I understand the skepticism, but you wrote this like you're family.  It's surely possible that he's not happy with how crowded his position is getting, right? 

Unlikely...we get that.  0708 even said as much, so I'm not sure I understand why you're being so aggressive here?

41 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Johnny Juzang is likely announcing his commitment to UK tomorrow. I’ve also heard Cal is still recruiting other guys for next years team too but can’t remember the names.

I will tell you this....down here in Kentucky Brooks is an after thought...granted I don’t think they appreciate how good he can be but most don’t see him getting major minutes and the main thing they like is his versatility...but he gets no pub...he doesn’t move the needle. He will have to play great to earn time on the court...I think he can...but it won’t be easy.

Archived