Iowa Postgame Thread

27 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Got up this am and read through the whole thread - it's possible that the negative ones stuck out to me more, or maybe it was the shock of someone being ridiculous enough to blame Archie for this loss. Bohannon's shots would have been impressive for Steph Curry. Sometimes the other teams make plays and there's not much you can do about it. We just seem to have an extraordinary high number of those going against us this year.

To those saying that Romeo isn't a lottery pick - frankly, that just shows a lack of understanding of how the NBA works. They don't care that much about how guys do in college, as long as they're not complete disasters. The NBA drafts on potential, and Romeo has a ton of it. His outside shot will certainly get better, he's completely blowing by people when he drives, and he's one of the better finishers around the rim. His raw skills are very, very similar to Kobe's at the same age. 

Agreed on the rest of your post. RP looked fantastic last night, back to how he was playing at the start of the year.

I know I said in my post I get that the NBA drafts on potential. I get it. I’m saying I watched Eric Gordon and I could see what they were talking about. I didn’t see really any glaring project areas of his game. I see quite a few with romeo and I’m shocked that both are considered top 2’s in the nation coming out of HS and both locks for too 5-8 picks because I see two very different talents at the same age and I’m not saying based on “stats.” I’m saying Romeo almost never goes left. I’m saying romeo isn’t a good shooter. I’m saying romeo MENTALLY looks scared and lost at the ends of big games. I’m saying Romeo makes more bad decisions than a Eric did. Eric was clutch, confident, was said At the time that he needed to improve his handles for thr nBA and looking back he at AT LEAST as good of handles as Romeo has and went left more. Eric was a bowling ball with wicked speed for his size. I don’t see the same athletic ability in romeo as I did in eric...they aren’t worlds apart by any means but Eric gets the edge.

i might be able to think of one area Eric wasn’t as good as Romeo skill wise (I’m not talking about their teams I’m talking about purely skills related). I just assume that for a guard to be projected so high that we wouldn’t see THIS many weaknesses in a game. Big men sure. I get that. Raw big men who can jump, run like gazzels, etc that’s rawness you can work with. 

What im saying is if you are being compared to all time greats already I would’ve assumed you wouldn’t have that many holes in your game at this point. But again, I realize I’m the first to admit I’m not  the smartest basketball fan ever. Not claiming to be. But I know when everyone said “Eric is a one and done, top five pick caliber 5 star recruit,” I watched him and he went top 5 and everything planned out as expected. People made the same claims of Romeo (although they are different) I expected to see a player with less holes in their game than I’ve seen.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some final thoughts on this game:

- Free throw shooting.  This could have made all other factors moot.  There are rare exceptions, but I'm certain any player can be a good FT shooter if they put forth the time and effort.  There can be nights where your shot is just off a hair or you're getting cruel bounces, but how many missed shots have we seen this year that were closer to air balls than nothing but net?  The two Al missed after being fouled on the steal/fast break were just bad shots.  Screw the sandbox drills - spend that time shooting a couple of hundred FTs instead.

- Romeo.  From all accounts, a good kid.  Really good player for a freshman.  If he were a senior playing as he has, I don't think he'd be highly regarded however.  I understand that the NBA is a completely different animal compared to NCAA ball, but it's still hard to believe a college player that almost never has dominated a game is going to be a future savior for a pro team, and let's face it - a lottery pick is supposed to be an impact player.  If I'm a fan of a NBA team, paying the exorbitant prices they charge for tickets, I'm not going to be satisfied with my crappy lottery pick team selecting and paying a guy that doesn't improve the record (and not just 2 or 3 years from now).  Another observation is that Romeo has yet to deliver in crunch time.  Thinking back to last years H.S. championship game, he did receive some criticism for his play in the last minute or two of that game when Warren Central came back and beat his team.  In a perfect world, Romeo would spend another season (or two, or whatever it takes) shoring up the weaknesses in his game.  But the NBA with the megabucks involved, destroys that logic.

- Bright spots.  As I commented after the game, I think Race acquitted himself quite well.  He was active on defense (almost hyper compared to a couple of other previous starters) and had a positive impact on the game.  He still is a little shaky on offense with the ball in his hands, but considering this was like his 3rd game as a college player, overall very encouraging effort.  Fitzner was productive on offense, not spectacular, but definitely an asset.  Rob P was a very good freshman PG in this game.  I love that he's shown the ability to get to the rim.  I hate that he's not so good at finishing the layup or floater, but getting there is the hard part and I think he'll improve as time goes by.

- Effort.  The team didn't lose because of effort or intensity.  That hasn't been the case for most of our losses.  Lack of size and poor shooting are just a couple of this teams fatal flaws.

- The roster.  I prefer to stay away from suggesting players by name should or will be gone after the season.  I do believe it's likely that at least one of our current players who has gotten significant playing time will transfer.  Also, trying to not come out and name names, I'll say that a player who's not a freshman and hasn't lost time due to injury who can't even get in the game at this point in the season, is probably in over his head at this level.  Not a knock on such a player or his character, it just doesn't seem plausible that there will be much playing time for him here going forward.

- Finally.  I'm not predicting it, but how nice would it be to go on a run in the BT tourney and pay a couple of these teams back for the slop they hit against us in the regular season?

8 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

We lost.  It sucks but Archie cost us this one.  He's not going any whereywhere for another year or so so we'd better get used to it.

I know you typically bend negative and you aren’t shy about it all. I agreed with you a ton on Crean. But this is just over the top. Archie did not cost us this game. That’s crazy. He coached a good game, had the team ready play, adjusted, etc.  He had a really good performance tonight. We lost this game because of free throws. 

9 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I know I said in my post I get that the NBA drafts on potential. I get it. I’m saying I watched Eric Gordon and I could see what they were talking about. I didn’t see really any glaring project areas of his game. I see quite a few with romeo and I’m shocked that both are considered top 2’s in the nation coming out of HS and both locks for too 5-8 picks because I see two very different talents at the same age and I’m not saying based on “stats.” I’m saying Romeo almost never goes left. I’m saying romeo isn’t a good shooter. I’m saying romeo MENTALLY looks scared and lost at the ends of big games. I’m saying Romeo makes more bad decisions than a Eric did. Eric was clutch, confident, was said At the time that he needed to improve his handles for thr nBA and looking back he at AT LEAST as good of handles as Romeo has and went left more. Eric was a bowling ball with wicked speed for his size. I don’t see the same athletic ability in romeo as I did in eric...they aren’t worlds apart by any means but Eric gets the edge.

i might be able to think of one area Eric wasn’t as good as Romeo skill wise (I’m not talking about their teams I’m talking about purely skills related). I just assume that for a guard to be projected so high that we wouldn’t see THIS many weaknesses in a game. Big men sure. I get that. Raw big men who can jump, run like gazzels, etc that’s rawness you can work with. 

What im saying is if you are being compared to all time greats already I would’ve assumed you wouldn’t have that many holes in your game at this point. But again, I realize I’m the first to admit I’m not  the smartest basketball fan ever. Not claiming to be. But I know when everyone said “Eric is a one and done, top five pick caliber 5 star recruit,” I watched him and he went top 5 and everything planned out as expected. People made the same claims of Romeo (although they are different) I expected to see a player with less holes in their game than I’ve seen.

I think you might be missing a few areas of strength for Romeo in your comparison to Gordon, particularly with respect to quickness, the ability to get to the rim, and rebounding/defense. All of the weaknesses you see in Romeo's game are going to be fixed pretty quickly once he's playing against top competition, too. He's not going to have an entire team sagging into the paint every time he drives, for example. Gordon and Romeo might end up playing the same position in the NBA, but they're going to be different players.

25 minutes ago, azhoosier said:

In the aftermath of this recent loss, it has become clear that what this team needs as much as the five star players like TJD and Brooks is a lights out shooter.  Jordan Bohannon proved just that last night. I know that if Phinisee makes the second free throw we would not be enduring yet another loss but Bohannon erased a lot of miscues on Iowa’s part and IU currently does not have that on this team. 

Maybe not Steph Curry, but I really, really think Ethan Morton would be a tremendous addition to the team.

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

I think you might be missing a few areas of strength for Romeo in your comparison to Gordon, particularly with respect to quickness, the ability to get to the rim, and rebounding/defense. All of the weaknesses you see in Romeo's game are going to be fixed pretty quickly once he's playing against top competition, too. He's not going to have an entire team sagging into the paint every time he drives, for example. Gordon and Romeo might end up playing the same position in the NBA, but they're going to be different players.

Bingo.

Basically all of the NBA scouts see what, for reasons that COMPLETELY elude me, some on here keep neglecting to see, almost as if it's on principle. Romeo is absolutely, unconditionally, and clearly a lottery pick, on genuinely exceptional fluid scoring ability. Hello. The NBA today, in particular, is hands-off guards and wings. Look at the scoring today. The NBA needs scorers and Romeo is a flat out fantastic scorer with a deceptively smooth game attacking the rim and inside the three-point line. Yes, his outside game is still developing. No, he is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a bad shooter. It's about range. His form is crystal clear. As the scouts have also repeatedly noticed, Romeo does not have the support. EJ had a better team around him, period. And I watched EJ and loved his game, but it's a different game and Romeo has plusses EJ in areas, just as EJ had plusses over Romeo in areas, in their frosh years. 

27 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Look up DeMar DeRozan. That’s probably what the scouts see Romeo as. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Bingo.

Basically all of the NBA scouts see what, for reasons that COMPLETELY elude me, some on here keep neglecting to see, almost as if it's on principle. Romeo is absolutely, unconditionally, and clearly a lottery pick, on genuinely exceptional fluid scoring ability. Hello. The NBA today, in particular, is hands-off guards and wings. Look at the scoring today. The NBA needs scorers and Romeo is a flat out fantastic scorer with a deceptively smooth game attacking the rim and inside the three-point line. Yes, his outside game is still developing. No, he is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a bad shooter. It's about range. His form is crystal clear. As the scouts have also repeatedly noticed, Romeo does not have the support. EJ had a better team around him, period. And I watched EJ and loved his game, but it's a different game and Romeo has plusses EJ in areas, just as EJ had plusses over Romeo in areas, in their frosh years. 

Can you break those down? I have tried in my mind and I don’t see it as simple as “Hey EJ has his good and bad things and so does Romeo, so it all pans out.” And no I’m not saying everything EJ was better at means Romeo sucked in that area nor the opposite.

ball handling: edge EJ

Shooting: EJ by a mile

defense: I have to give the edge to gordon here on more consistent effort alone

rebounding: I don’t see either having an edge but I’d listen to arguments of Romeo but there are more rebounds available for him to get on this team if stats are gonna be an argument for that

passing: I don’t see that being a strong side of either really

mental (clutch, confidence, etc): EJ by a TON here (biggest complaint for me)

slashing/finishing: slashing is all Romeo no doubt, finishing idk he gets the edge but if you mean finishing by crafty getting shots off yes, if you mean finishing as in he can take a hit and still finish I’m sorry but EJ gets that edge by a lot more. I remember guys bouncing off EJ when he drove hard.

Athletic ability: I’d be interested to hear someone share how in a combine EJ wouldn’t beat Romeo in basically everything measureable as far as athletic traits (vertical, speed, strength, broad jump, etc...I’d assume he’d take every category based on watching them as frosh to frosh seasons)

i know there’s tons more so I’m game. So far I’m just hearing a lot of “NBA scouts say he’s great...” ok granted. I’m literally asking for specific aspects to his game. Maybe the answer is “Badger honestly right now Romeo admittedly is all about what he could become if and when he adds all those things” then ok. But if EJ and him were both frosh and there was no history yet of EJ’s injuries I can’t inagine anyone drafting Romeo in front of EJ. Maybe they’d both be top five picks. :)

39 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

One other thing to consider: The NBA draft is a year-by-year situation. Reset button is pushed every time. Player X may have been drafted 4th one year, 14th another.

I get what you're saying about EJ and Romeo. The thing is, in this year's draft, are there more than 3 other 2-guards that clearly have more potential than Romeo?

7 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Can you break those down? I have tried in my mind and I don’t see it as simple as “Hey EJ has his good and bad things and so does Romeo, so it all pans out.” And no I’m not saying everything EJ was better at means Romeo sucked in that area nor the opposite.

rebounding: I don’t see either having an edge but I’d listen to arguments of Romeo but there are more rebounds available for him to get on this team if stats are gonna be an argument for that

slashing/finishing: slashing is all Romeo no doubt, finishing idk he gets the edge but if you mean finishing by crafty getting shots off yes, if you mean finishing as in he can take a hit and still finish I’m sorry but EJ gets that edge by a lot more. I remember guys bouncing off EJ when he drove hard.

Athletic ability: I’d be interested to hear someone share how in a combine EJ wouldn’t beat Romeo in basically everything measureable as far as athletic traits (vertical, speed, strength, broad jump, etc...I’d assume he’d take every category based on watching them as frosh to frosh seasons)

i know there’s tons more so I’m game. So far I’m just hearing a lot of “NBA scouts say he’s great...” ok granted. I’m literally asking for specific aspects to his game. Maybe the answer is “Badger honestly right now Romeo admittedly is all about what he could become if and when he adds all those things” then ok. But if EJ and him were both frosh and there was no history yet of EJ’s injuries I can’t inagine anyone drafting Romeo in front of EJ. Maybe they’d both be top five picks. :)

EJ his freshman year was a better long range shooter and more explosive athlete.  He also had some players with gritt and skill around him to help him free him up and take attention off of him.  This cannot be underestimated.  That team had a chicago legend as a point and a mcAA as a PF/C.  Your only as good as your point and best big.

Romeo is much better around the rim and is a longer athlete.  The length is an intangible that the NBA looks for.  He is also like I said much better around the rim.

Both have similar ball handling skills and hand/wrist injuries 

IMO none of this matters.

The NBA is looking for an ELITE skill that is immediately translatable to the league.  That will make you a lottery pick.

Langford has this, with the wingspan of a 7 footer and an ability to get to and finish at the rim.  You aren't even seeing the extent of his skills here because he is facing constant doubles/shows and a defense packed in the paint.  

Everything will be spaced out and there will be no doubles in the NBA.

Focusing on his game full time, wrist healed, he'll be a highly productive rookie.

1 minute ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

IMO none of this matters.

The NBA is looking for an ELITE skill that is immediately translatable to the league.  That will make you a lottery pick.

Langford has this, with the wingspan of a 7 footer and an ability to get to and finish at the rim.  You aren't even seeing the extent of his skills here because he is facing constant doubles/shows and a defense packed in the paint.  

Everything will be spaced out and there will be no doubles in the NBA.

Focusing on his game full time, wrist healed, he'll be a highly productive rookie.

Exactly what I was saying; however you have the ability to make it make more sense :) Must be that journalist perspective you bring.  100% agree

Just saw the highlights again on ESPN. On Bohannon’s three to tie the game in regulation, it is embarrassing how badly Devonte Green fell asleep defending Bohannon. He completely just stopped playing on the biggest possession of the game, which is how Langford ended up on Bohannon.

Green completely just stopped playing. It’s absolutely puzzling. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just saw the highlights again on ESPN. On Bohannon’s three to tie the game in regulation, it is embarrassing how badly Devonte Green fell asleep defending Bohannon. He completely just stopped playing on the biggest possession of the game, which is how Langford ended up on Bohannon.

Yep, he got himself turned around for no apparent reason.  He had one job -- to stick to Bohannon like glue.  Romeo's help was good although I would have liked to see him get as vertical as possible on that close out.  But that's a big risk to foul a 3-point shooter, and that play was on Green.

1 hour ago, Chad B said:

Romeo is still 6th in the CBS mock draft.  I am amazed.  He is a very good freshman, but I am not sure he has ever been the best player on the court in any game IU played this year. Future lottery picks take over college games. Romeo hasn't even come close to taking over a game this year.  

On the bright side I really think we have a very good point guard for the next three years. RP has not been the same since his concussion, but I saw enough early in the season to feel comfortable IU has a great point guard for the near future.

I loved the effort of the entire team the last couple of games.

There has been several players who thought they would go high in draft only to sit in the Green room well past when they thought they would go,I remember one year a player crying cause he fell to the second round,as the draft gets closer new names pop up or a foreign player moves up...alot can happen between now and May (deadline to declare)

14 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

slashing/finishing: slashing is all Romeo no doubt, finishing idk he gets the edge but if you mean finishing by crafty getting shots off yes, if you mean finishing as in he can take a hit and still finish I’m sorry but EJ gets that edge by a lot more. I remember guys bounThicing off EJ when he drove hard.

You're kind of making my point here. You have picked stats, ignoring the significant differences between the teams they played on and what help they had around them, and you go out of your way to slant the "stats" that favor Romeo. You want to make points that favor EJ, so you slant the stats. EJ was a great college player, and one of my favorites fwiw. He also had a much, much better team around him. Teams figured out that Romeo has a still developing outside game (which, btw, as scouts also have noticed, has been improving) and has basically no help other than Morgan, so they're swarming him. EJ did not play in the same situation, that's simply the reality. Btw, EJ's team also played a SOS of 6.08 vs. this year's team SOS of 10.74.

But within that reality, if you have to look at direct comparison stats to draw a conclusion, Romeo averages a full +2 rebounds per game. So you post you don't see either having an edge?Why argue on slanted stats or ignore those that cut against you? What's the point of that? You say EJ, shooting by a mile. On 2-point percentage, Romeo is at 55%, EJ shot 2's at 53% at IU. From the arc, EJ shot just under 34% on the season. That's not great 3-point shooting. It also was likely affected by his wrist injury, so it's not fair to compare directly, but while EJ is a good outside shooter, by no stretch of the imagination is he or was he ever a great outside shooter. EJ over his NBA career averages about 37%, he's just 32% this year, fwiw. Romeo, right now, is shooting only 27% from the arc -- again his shot has been improving over the past 10 or so games, and his shot form is very good, though. It's all about range. Vic shot in the 20's his soph year. Had the very same debates on here, people saying Vic can't shoot. Right. His junior year he shot in the 40s. His shot form was always there, the scouts saw it then too. He's now a better shooter than EJ, fwiw. No idea if Romeo will develop into a strong outside shooter -- could very well be a DeRozan - type scorer, not a bad thing, but I'd wager his outside shot will continue to improve as it already is.

The NBA scouts are paid to evaluate NBA potential, by and large, they know what they're doing, respectfully. 

As others have pointed out, Romeo has the wingspan, the smooth, fluid scoring game, an exceptional to-the-rim game, the athleticism, etc. that make him a lottery pick. He also has tremendous composure for a frosh. He's playing with the weight of Indiana expectation, on a team that is failing for lack of talent and confidence, and he's standing strong. Kid's a great player. He'll be fine in the League.

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Thats a little extreme- Green was playing; however, he anticaped the drive and opened up.  At that point off the top of my head there was 30/20 seconds and down by 2.  He was playing, just made the wrong read.  

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You're kind of making my point here. You have picked stats, ignoring the significant differences between the teams they played on and what help they had around them, and you go out of your way to slant the "stats" that favor Romeo. You want to make points that favor EJ, so you slant the stats. EJ was a great college player, and one of my favorites fwiw. He also had a much, much better team around him. Teams figured out that Romeo has a still developing outside game (which, btw, as scouts also have noticed, has been improving) and has basically no help other than Morgan, so they're swarming him. EJ did not play in the same situation, that's simply the reality. Btw, EJ's team also played a SOS of 6.08 vs. this year's team SOS of 10.74.

But within that reality, if you have to look at direct comparison stats to draw a conclusion, Romeo averages a full +2 rebounds per game. So you post you don't see either having an edge?Why argue on slanted stats or ignore those that cut against you? What's the point of that? You say EJ, shooting by a mile. On 2-point percentage, Romeo is at 55%, EJ shot 2's at 53% at IU. From the arc, EJ shot just under 34% on the season. That's not great 3-point shooting. It also was likely affected by his wrist injury, so it's not fair to compare directly, but while EJ is a good outside shooter, by no stretch of the imagination is he or was he ever a great outside shooter. EJ over his NBA career averages about 37%, he's just 32% this year, fwiw. Romeo, right now, is shooting only 27% from the arc -- again his shot has been improving over the past 10 or so games, and his shot form is very good, though. It's all about range. Vic shot in the 20's his soph year. Had the very same debates on here, people saying Vic can't shoot. Right. His junior year he shot in the 40s. His shot form was always there, the scouts saw it then too. He's now a better shooter than EJ, fwiw. No idea if Romeo will develop into a strong outside shooter -- could very well be a DeRozan - type scorer, not a bad thing, but I'd wager his outside shot will continue to improve as it already is.

The NBA scouts are paid to evaluate NBA potential, by and large, they know what they're doing, respectfully. 

As others have pointed out, Romeo has the wingspan, the smooth, fluid scoring game, an exceptional to-the-rim game, the athleticism, etc. that make him a lottery pick. He also has tremendous composure for a frosh. He's playing with the weight of Indiana expectation, on a team that is failing for lack of talent and confidence, and he's standing strong. Kid's a great player. He'll be fine in the League.

I didn’t think I used any stats? So not sure how I picked the ones that favored me and dropped the ones I didn’t. I didn’t use any. I wasn’t trying to compare stats because I know each team is so different. I’ve said multiple times now I’m trying to compare actual SKILLS vs SKILLS. And would love input on that. I got some from some people. Got some in your post. Thanks

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

.The NBA drafts on potential, and Romeo has a ton of it. His outside shot will certainly get better, he's completely blowing by people when he drives, and he's one of the better finishers around the rim. His raw skills are very, very similar to Kobe's at the same age. 

His drive to the right is the only thing that remotely compares to Kobe as 19 year olds.  The athleticism of Kobe was another level beyond next level.  He had killer instincts, could go left or right,  fadeaway was almost already perfected.  The athleticism and chip puts him on a whole other level.  Here's some 19 year old Kobe.  Its not close and is setting people up for another let down.  I have seen drastic improvement of Romeo bringing the ball up the court but as someone mike wells quoted on the nba level, he goes right 90% of the time.  He'll keep improving, I'm not ready to call a ceiling or call a bust bit I think the breaks need pumped.  

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

Thats a little extreme- Green was playing; however, he anticaped the drive and opened up.  At that point off the top of my head there was 30/20 seconds and down by 2.  He was playing, just made the wrong read.  

Watch it again, he completely relaxed. Bohannon passed the ball and faked a cut down the lane. Devonte straightened up and turned his head and got completely turned around. Inexcusable in that situation when defending that player. 

Archived