Ochai Agbaji/AAU

rico

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

AAU as much as some hate it, is pretty much everything.    High school ball means little to nothing to college coaches

I totally agree hoosier_exotics! AAU, Prep schools and travel teams are vastly replacing the once highly coveted and locally talented high school teams.  Through my experiences of  being a high school teacher for over 24 years which includes 14 years of travel and high school softball coaching, I have seen a drastic decline in both the quality and interest in traditional high school sports. Student athlete and parents want the best of the best and high school sports just aren't that attractive anymore. It is very sad....My high school is a victim of several of those student athletes AND parents. They have decided not to share their hometown talents in front of their community, but instead represent themselves for a chance to get noticed...

The good news is that this is something that can be reversed.  All it takes is a few elite athletes to say..."You know what, that's not the route I want to go". Once others see that it does not have to be that way, more will follow.

Everything old becomes new again.  

27 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I totally agree hoosier_exotics! AAU, Prep schools and travel teams are vastly replacing the once highly coveted and locally talented high school teams.  Through my experiences of  being a high school teacher for over 24 years which includes 14 years of travel and high school softball coaching, I have seen a drastic decline in both the quality and interest in traditional high school sports. Student athlete and parents want the best of the best and high school sports just aren't that attractive anymore. It is very sad....My high school is a victim of several of those student athletes AND parents. They have decided not to share their hometown talents in front of their community, but instead represent themselves for a chance to get noticed...

My daughter played and unfortunately due  to injuries it never panned out for her...  but she was recruited by a couple big 10 schools and North Carolina. 

I specifically asked how much weight they put on high school basketball...  their response was all things considered,  that high school was about the last thing they looked at...  they were only looking for the grades and what kind of teammate you are..

They sighted the fact that politics and unqualified coaching in high school was a huge factor.

And they can go watch 20 kids in one stop, instead of traveling all over the place to see one kid at a time.

In my opinion high school sports will not make a come back, only fall into irrelevance.   Kids can play the summer and still get a full ride without play high school at all

58 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

They sighted the fact that politics and unqualified coaching in high school was a huge factor.

So the prevailing thought among college coaches is that AAU coaching is better than high school coaching?

Interesting. I can understand the fact that the AAU games have probably a greater amount of talent, but surprising to me about the coaching comment. Being from Indiana the politics aspect (the meeting in the barbershop in "Hoosiers" anyone?) I completely understand.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So the prevailing thought among college coaches is that AAU coaching is better than high school coaching?

Interesting. I can understand the fact that the AAU games have probably a greater amount of talent, but surprising to me about the coaching comment. Being from Indiana the politics aspect (the meeting in the barbershop in "Hoosiers" anyone?) I completely understand.

Not necessarily saying the coaching is better in either...  more along the lines of not knowing how to use players, or players being used out of position due to roster.

Also there are some very good coaches in AAU.. we were fortunate to have one for our daughter. 

18 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Not necessarily saying the coaching is better in either...  more along the lines of not knowing how to use players, or players being used out of position due to roster.

Interesting, a take I do not agree with.

At some point in the future I can see basketball going the way if European soccer. Pro teams have youth developmental academies for the top youth players. The kid who don’t make those academies, then can play for the local middle and high school teams. Then all the players that don’t get that pro contract when they turn 18 can go to college and potentially play. 

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Or think about the small school playing a 5'-11'' player in the post and using the 6'5" guard where he is best served?

If the said 5'11" player was an all state full back, but no, in the southern part of the state it's far and away your biggest player, regardless of college aspirations plays down low, especially defensively.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

If the said 5'11" player was an all state full back, but no, in the southern part of the state it's far and away your biggest player, regardless of college aspirations plays down low, especially defensively.  

Well, I don't live in the southern part of the state.  I guess we do it differently up my way.

8 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Also there are some very good coaches in AAU.. we were fortunate to have one for our daughter. 

I don’t think it’s as much to do about the coaching, but it’s more about seeing kids play against tougher competition.  Each AAU team is an “all-star” team comprised of players from the same area generally.  At these AAU events, they get matched up against other players of similar caliber, that they might not have had the opportunity to do during the high school season.  You can get a better feel for how the player will be able to handle the next level, whatever that may be.  

7 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I don’t think it’s as much to do about the coaching, but it’s more about seeing kids play against tougher competition.  Each AAU team is an “all-star” team comprised of players from the same area generally.  At these AAU events they get matched up against other players of similar caliber, that they might not have the opportunity to do during the high school season.  You can get a better feel for how the player will be able to handle the next level, whatever that may be.  

And who exactly, judges the caliber?  Honest question.

19 minutes ago, rico said:

And who exactly, judges the caliber?  Honest question.

Well obviously it’s the recruiting services mainly.  Overall they do a pretty good job of identifying the top ranked kids (1-15?).  At a certain point they start over valuing athleticism imo, but I can see why they do to a point.  This is where you start seeing guys fall through the cracks and shooters without great athleticism fall down the rankings.  Right or wrong, it’s the only viable resource we have to sort through the vast number of kids playing high school basketball.  There’s always going to be oversights.

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don’t know about that. I played at one of the smallest schools in the state and had an Indiana All-Star on my team that was 6’5. He would take bigger guys outside and shoot 3s or drive on them and post up smaller guys. It was about taking advantage of what the defense gave you. Of course we had a pretty good basketball program (most did in our area) but kids are put in position to succeed. Talented kids get the ball put in their hands as much as possible...to hide them down low does your team and them no good. Don’t get me wrong we took advantage of mismatches and sometimes he did have to guard opposing centers but he played out on the floor a lot.

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t know about that. I played at one of the smallest schools in the state and had an Indiana All-Star on my team that was 6’5. He would take bigger guys outside and shoot 3s or drive on them and post up smaller guys. It was about taking advantage of what the defense gave you. Of course we had a pretty good basketball program (most did in our area) but kids are put in position to succeed. Talented kids get the ball put in their hands as much as possible...to hide them down low does your team and them no good. Don’t get me wrong we took advantage of mismatches and sometimes he did have to guard opposing centers but he played out on the floor a lot.

But, but, but....that ain't how you play in AAU ball!  LOL

15 hours ago, rico said:

Or think about the small school playing a 5'-11'' player in the post and using the 6'5" guard where he is best served?

That was my best team. Exact scenario.  I always have said if my 5 11 center was even 6 3 we could have found a D1 school for him. Heart of a  champiom.  My 6 5 point guard just happened to be better QB than basketball player. 

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That was my best team. Exact scenario.  I always have said if my 5 11 center was even 6 3 we could have found a D1 school for him. Heart of a  champiom.  My 6 5 point guard just happened to be better QB than basketball player. 

Amen.

I get a kick out of people saying that a position in basketball is determined by height on a particular HS team.  It is not.  And fwiw, it will be a cold day in Hell before I believe an AAU coach knows more than what a HS coach does.

24 minutes ago, rico said:

Amen.

I get a kick out of people saying that a position in basketball is determined by height on a particular HS team.  It is not.  And fwiw, it will be a cold day in Hell before I believe an AAU coach knows more than what a HS coach does.

While in college I did 4 years coaching AAU to get a start. I can tell you that we beat a ton of teams that had MUCH more talent just because of the guys coaching the other team. Little to no instruction. Most were loaded with D1 talent we had all D2 kids. We coached them not just let them play. Most AAU coaches just let them play

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Amen.

I agree, but our view might also be clouded by the fact we're from Indiana where high school basketball is religion.

Other parts of the country where high school basketball is an afterthought an AAU coach might be on par.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree, but our view might also be clouded by the fact we're from Indiana where high school basketball is religion.

Other parts of the country where high school basketball is an afterthought an AAU coach might be on par.

True, but I only know what I am used too.

Archived