Rob Phinisee - X Factor

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Indiana's record with and without a fully healthy Rob Phinisee is incredible. Similarly, his stats in games where he is at 100 percent is noticeably different.

Good point on the Iowa game, did not realize the impact Phinissee had on Bohanon...and thereafter he exited the game. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think Phinisee’s concussion is the single biggest reason IU is on the bubble right now and not a tournament lock. 

I think I agree.  I think it was just hard to bring yourself to that conclusion because we weren't putting that kind of importance on him going into the season.  Important, yes, but not THAT important.

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Romeo was the headline of this class, and rightfully so. But when all is said and done, Rob will be looked at as the cornerstone.

I totally agree with you!  I'm also willing to kindly agree to disagree with the article about Rob being the X-factor. I just see it a bit different. 

Your reply of saying he is the cornerstone is closer to how I actually view Phinisee, yet that's slightly different from the point of the article.- which states he is the F-Factor. 

Which is why I like it so much. It essentially underscores my opinion on the team and the actual X-factor(s)..the Junior class.  

By the definition it isn't incorrect to suggest Rob is . He checks both boxes of the literal definition. I just think as the context is narrowed Rob doesn't fit all the way in basketball terms. 

X fac·tor

Dictionary result for X factor

noun

1. 1.
    a noteworthy special talent or quality.
    "there are plenty of luxury cars around, but the S-Type has that special X factor"
  2. 2.
    a variable in a given situation that could have the most significant impact on the outcome.
    "the young vote may turn out to be the X factor"

Rob(at 100%) has(had) already won plenty of trust and respect, and I think the argument laid out in the article essentially states why he is not the X Factor. . but in fact becoming more of a constant/regular starter .

Yes, stats are variables for an individual, but Rob the player has became more of a reliable quantity  for the team itself..In terms of comparing two separate players the individual variables for Rob fall into a consistent pattern when he is full go. 

The article is essentially correct in every way - in terms of the context of most of what we have saw this season. He was the X-factor in most of the (close wins), but I'm going to resist the understandable temptation to frame the season in terms of most of the games- and instead frame it in the context of ALL of the games. . Phinisee has been the variable that when added  has the most significant impact on the team either being "itself" or not- as we know it mostly. - in terms of wins and losses. His return has had the impact on the bottom line that one would come to know comes with returning a constant to the line-up. Rob has made himself a known quantity and that basically removes him from the X-factor argument the way I perceive the definition. I think missing Rob nad Rob's full form contributions  had the similar impact to what losing Romeo or Juwan would. You lose someone who you are starting to have a good idea what you expect to get most nights.Expectations are the operative basis with the whole X-factor argument. It divides into what one expects the team to be , and what they could be if _______ does what they are capable of, but has yet to show a regular tendency to emerge. So from the opener to mid-season Rob fit well.It's just thee more often he showed up big on both ends the more I expected that to come from Rob and we all have recently.It left ________ out there as the key to the team reaching it's full potential.I think it's full potential is more than close wins vs ranked opponents..

I just think Rob returning to normal has brought the constant back in line - a team that is capable of a close win against anyone. 

However there is one early season ranked game that bucks this trend. The Marquette game. 

That is the game where the team was more than what is commonly known as normal for this season-- and  the injury situation is why I feel there has only been one result so decisive against a ranked team this year.

Fitzner and Davis were the difference in that one.Green did not play, but Fitzner in hindsight stepped up that day . Fitzner could be argued to be as much of the X-factor as he is a guy who can come in get hot and the box score bottom line could experience a dramatic swing if Juwan, Romeo, Justin, Al, and Rob provide the constant the way starters should. .I just think it is more likely for either Green and or Davis to step up as we have saw lately since the roster started to recover to being more complete.

These are the games before the injury situation set in, and the 2 wins from last week where the roster was the most complete it has been all year.

Marquette: 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401082364

At Michigan State: 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401082389

Wisconsin: 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401082388

Michigan State: 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401082382

I'm not saying TDH is off base reaching his  point.  It's just my own perception of the X-factor revolves around including that Marquette game and this past week's 2 games to form a broader context.

It's also why I think that rare form Marquette game "version" of IU "lurks in the weeds" right now waiting to strike and surprise everyone-  It will look like 5 starters basically playing as we should expect, and the X-Factor Juniors both available and  playing well -  with them.  That is the true peak of this team. A peak we haven't saw at any point and has literally not been possible until this past week due to guys having to miss games. . It's only fair to slice this argument and season into 3 compartments :

1.What the team was for most of the early season with Rob, but with others out.

2. What they were without him, and others working back.

And

3.How they have looked with him and the roster mostly back to form again- with Juwan and Romeo going through some inconsistency - then I read between the lines. . 

Everyone has talked about how after _______ and ________ game the team was not normal. I think the team was not normal after the Marquette game and wasn't even full strength for it without Green.We shall see, right. 

And I also want to clarify all of this is aside of the fact Hunter didn't play and is taking an RS. It just wouldn't be sticking to the relevant to include him this season. 

I probably shouldn't wait until 3AM to start building on a talking point though.lol   I'm not even great at it when I have had sleep and actually off work. However I would be happy to clarify tomorrow or this weekend when I'm off. I hope I at least made clear where I'm trying to go with what I'm saying, though.

Not going to quote the whole post, but you make solid points.  Rob is more of a constant, however, since the injuries he has suffered, he could be considered somewhat an x-factor as he has missed so much time.  Could be what TDH is speaking to.  As to the grand scheme of things, I definitely agree the junior class and Justin Smith are the x-factors and will be here on out.

^^^ Jblaz.  WOW ! WOW! WOW!   Great post.  While some may not agree totally with your post....there's always that. Which is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself.   However, that's not the reason for my reply.  It's quite obvious that you took the time to think it through, put together a bunch of information, with supporting information. But most importantly it proves once again that you, along with so many other members are what makes Hoosier Sports Nation stand above so many other IU fan boards.  Hardly ever would you see something like this elsewhere.

Thanks to TDH for his article, and to you as well.  

10 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Indiana's record with and without a fully healthy Rob Phinisee is incredible. Similarly, his stats in games where he is at 100 percent is noticeably different.

I remember when Rob went out with his concussion thinking how important he was to the team as he was just developing his confidence. I think we discussed plenty about our concussion protocol but I'll say it again. Rob going out at that time was to me just behind missing Hunter for the season. Glad he's back. He's that important. 

5 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Great post, and most points I agree with.

I'll just say that for me, that Marquette game probably doesn't play out the way it did without Rob's X-factor (noteworthy or special talent) -- on the ball defense.  If you remember, Markus Howard committed several turnovers in the first five minutes that set the tone for the entire game.  Fitzner didn't hit his first 3 until the game was already 16-4. 

We saw it again at the end of the MSU game with Rob's defense.  That's what Rob is doing that makes him the x-factor IMO, along with having a propensity to make big timely plays.  

No opinion is wrong here though.  Just clarifying mine in light of your well thought out comments.

10 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Romeo was the headline of this class, and rightfully so. But when all is said and done, Rob will be looked at as the cornerstone.

I think this year was a lightbulb moment for me that players like Rob are more important for our program than any 5 star/one and done can offer if your culture isn't set in place. 

Just think of the way at various times that Phinisee, as a freshmen, has defended Markus Howard, Carsen Edwards, Cassius Winston and Jordan Bohannon. Bohannon is a good player and those other guys are all up All-American and POY awards. Phinisee's defense is invaluable to this team. 

52 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just think of the way at various times that Phinisee, as a freshmen, has defended Markus Howard, Carsen Edwards, Cassius Winston and Jordan Bohannon. Bohannon is a good player and those other guys are all up All-American and POY awards. Phinisee's defense is invaluable to this team. 

And Simpson. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Imagine him in 4 years.  National DPOY?

5 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Great post, and most points I agree with.

I'll just say that for me, that Marquette game probably doesn't play out the way it did without Rob's X-factor (noteworthy or special talent) -- on the ball defense.  If you remember, Markus Howard committed several turnovers in the first five minutes that set the tone for the entire game.  Fitzner didn't hit his first 3 until the game was already 16-4. 

We saw it again at the end of the MSU game with Rob's defense.  That's what Rob is doing that makes him the x-factor IMO, along with having a propensity to make big timely plays.  

No opinion is wrong here though.  Just clarifying mine in light of your well thought out comments.

Thanks, and great article as always to get this thread going to begin with!   I totally agree he's made the most significant impact to date on this team .

Zlinedavid's comment - Rob is the cornerstone of the class- just hit home for me about how reliable Rob is becoming and it fit different in my context of X-factor.  Rob's maturity and clutch play so soon in such a tough B1G on a team going through so much adversity in a short time-  is certainly uncommon in general.. He's been super impressive although he is making a lot of his contributions look regular for him. It is unexpected and his plays were the difference making  X-factor in the context you used for the Marquette game too! So that game worked for both of our points. Thank you though TDH,  for replying/clarifying your opinion further for me! 

Rob's play right out of the gates in his college career, is on par with the Freshman level of most of the best ever to play PG at IU  when he has been healthy. = showing just how reliable he is becoming. It was originally meant sincerely as compliment to Rob to argue against him being the X-factor right now despite nothing but agreement with where you're coming from. - in that way.

You're absolutely right still . There isn't a wrong answer between various players or aspects of the game.

Multiple truths and contexts can coexist in the same space in talking about X-factor for a basketball team, especially on a team with so much potential that is still latent

I'm a "buy" on your point since it totally fits side by side in the bigger thought driving where I'm coming from in general:

This team, including Rob as part of it-  still has unseen potential to make an even greater impact than we have saw to date.

It comes down to much much shows up on the same night - that will decide whether or not we see anything like that Marquette game again this year. I like the chances moving into this stretch if everyone stays in good health.

Someone posted early in the season a side-by-side chart of Rob P, Yogi, and I believe IT.  The chart was like after 3 or 5 games.  Given what we have seen from the freshman pg, it seems after four years, he may be spoken of in the same regards or better as those greats.  I look forward to seeing him develop.

7 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Someone posted early in the season a side-by-side chart of Rob P, Yogi, and I believe IT.  The chart was like after 3 or 5 games.  Given what we have seen from the freshman pg, it seems after four years, he may be spoken of in the same regards or better as those greats.  I look forward to seeing him develop.

I made that chart early on.  I've been meaning to revisit the numbers.

I can tell you that I don't ever recall Yogi having that complete of a game as Rob did tonight against Illinois, during his freshman year.

2 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I can tell you that I don't ever recall Yogi having that complete of a game as Rob did tonight against Illinois, during his freshman year.

I thought the very same thing.

15 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

This - plus Rob controls games in the clutch now like Yogi did as an upperclassman. 

Archived