Players mind set today

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

My point on leaving early is that players of the 80's and 90's all had opportunities to go straight to the NBA or leave early but they decided not to.  Rookie contracts were higher then and kids still decided to stay 3 or 4 years.  To me the one and done rule has not really impacted this as much as you do.

I thought this wasn’t about the old days? Reality Scott, it’s an entirely different landscape and we haven’t even talked about how much more players earn today, changed in the CBA, etc. of course the one and done rule has played a real role, so too have the significantly different development opportunities in today’s NBA. 

Once again rookie contracts were not higher. Juwon Howard was in the same draft as Glenn robinson as the 5th and made like 1.5 mil in his rookie year.  Glen robinson signed a 10 year 68 mil deal which averages 6.8 mil per year.  Kidd the 2nd pick got 6 mil per year.  This year ayton got 8 mil as the top pick. You can factor in what a dollar gets you and length of contract but it is not really A factor in this discussion.  You could even argue the shorter contract is better unless you plan to be a bust. Just 2 years before Robinson got his contract Shaq made only 3 mil per year. Really other than Robinson and Larry Johnson drafts, top draft picks were getting around 3 mil a year it seems.  Even duncan in the late 90s only made around 3 mil. 

www. spotrac.com is a good sight for looking at cash earnings of players over the years. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/04/sports/pro-basketball-bucks-give-robinson-a-10-year-contract.html

Archived