Devonte Green Article

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In a very loose, stretched way, he reminds me of Yogi's development. Yogi was wildly out of control for his frosh and soph seasons, made some seriously "bone headed" plays (the leaving your feet in traffic thing after a wild drive with nowhere to go thing, etc.) and did not have a very consistent outside game early on,  but became our best offensive player, and eventually settled into a top flight point guard and future pro. I am not directly comparing Yogi and Devonte. But there are similarities. Devonte is very talented, he's growing into a very good offensive player and is already a very good defensive player, whiile struggling with consistency issues, decision-making being at the forefront. I think he's going to be very good next season.

Good comparison HH. That article explains so much about him and why his game is the way that it is. I don't get emotionally attached to the players often but I'm rooting for him big time. He's an absolute killer who just needs someone to back him and believe in him. Crean was perfect for him. He showed him some love and played him more towards the end and Devonte rewarded him. He was trending upwards and the worst possible coach landed in his lap.

He's a special player who's numbers don't drop off vs better talent. In important categories they significantly rise.....

2017: 43% 3 point shooter. 50% vs tier A teams. 49% vs tier A+B

2018: Awful fit for both.

2019: 41% 3 point shooter. 47% vs tier A teams. 47% vs Tier A+B

You've got to believe that trial run was good enough to force Archie to budge a little. Show him some love Arch and he'll start adjusting to you as well.

I've been bigging this dude up pretty significantly but it should be noted that he's a 9 pt and 3 asst player who's only started 12 games at IU. A huge jump is something like 11.5 and 3.5 with lower TO rates. Expecting him to run the team and score 15 a game is putting the cart ahead of the horse.

However though.....when I get this excited I really trust in my read.

I hope your right!!!! Nothing would be better then Devonte becoming the player to take control and be that consent shooter we have to have , the player who stops shooting that damn floater that he never makes. The guy that quits stretching out an making that stupid spin pass that get stolen half the time and never puts the receiving player in a position to make a play. The guy who has more assists then turnovers. Especially the uncontested turnover. The dibble off his foot or the crazy drive and throw it up for grabs . Are better yet the 30 ft three with 10 seconds on the shot clock. So after three years theirs always hope!

I mentioned this before when many.of.us were frustrated with Devonte, thought he was not engaged, and was a candidate to transfer.

Juwan single Devonte out as a teammate that TALKED HIM OUT of transferring. That does not sound like a guy not engaged. Maybe he is just a different type of guy and is hard for a fan to read. But that comment from Juwan carried a lot of weight.

Add to it, this article. His dad said 2 things.

1. Finish what you start.

2. He (dad) approved of how Archie is handling his son. He (dad again) said Devonte needs to grow up in some ways. And learning from Archie is a good way to do that.

Like I mentioned earlier, they are the odd couple that may just work out in the end. Regardless, they are both here and I am pulling for them both.

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have been in his corner for 3 years and at times he makes it very difficult to stay there. I see something in him that I don't in a lot of our guys over the years. I just hope is Senior year it is on display all the time. 

You and I see the same thing in Devonte and I've backed him the entire time as well. 

Can you try to explain what you mean by that? Are you talking about the good / bad Devonte?

On 4/5/2019 at 8:22 PM, JWoolsey said:

You and I see the same thing in Devonte and I've backed him the entire time as well. 

Can you try to explain what you mean by that? Are you talking about the good / bad Devonte?

Yes 90 percent good DG. I know what he is capable of I just want it to be a given of what we can expect. 

Archived