3D Officials

Just so tired of officials influencing games, it hit me that just maybe? The IU 3D virtual reality program funded by Mark Cuban could end up being the end of officiating as we know it? What if cameras all over the stadium created a live 3d play of the game  and officiated the game? ???

Eliminates the human error, doesn't it?  

I may be old, but technology  is not beyond me!

Interesting thought, but I don't think we're there quite yet. Thats a ton of computing power to process the video feeds, construct the 3D "model", then interpret the call and issue its "judgment" in real time.

I think it's theoretically possible, but there would be years upon years of development and testing needed from both the hardware and software ends.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Interesting thought, but I don't think we're there quite yet. Thats a ton of computing power to process the video feeds, construct the 3D "model", then interpret the call and issue its "judgment" in real time.

I think it's theoretically possible, but there would be years upon years of development and testing needed from both the hardware and software ends.

And twenty years ago nobody REALLY thought cars could drive themselves better than most humans. Sounds like a good sports sci-fi movie in the making! Add in RICO's gambling twist.. Where are some of those IU journalism majors when you need them?

Aren't we going a bit far here? Isn't one of the attractions to sports not only the joys of winning, but lamenting the loser, especially under difficult circumstances?

Roy Jones Jr was more famous after the 1988 Olympics for getting cheated out of the gold medal than if he had won. Now I realize there's a difference in getting out-and-out scammed out of something, but bear with me here.

Why do any of us know who Jim Joyce is? Don Denkinger? 

I suppose if you ask me about Ted Valentine I'd have a much different opinion than the average college basketball fan, and I guess that does expose the hypocrisy we are guided to with our biases. But part of sports is the human element.

And it's not like players and fans don't make mistakes in key moments. How do Georgetown fans view Fred Brown? Cub fans Steve Bartman? Cowboys fans Jackie Smith? Michigan fans Chris Webber?

I know losing hurts. I said in another thread that IU losing to UK in 1975 was personally a dark day. But to let computers and replay take over all aspects of arbitration in sports is wrong. If it was up to me, I'd take all replays out of all sports. Let the chips fall where they may...

It's the "human" thing to do...😁

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Aren't we going a bit far here? Isn't one of the attractions to sports not only the joys of winning, but lamenting the loser, especially under difficult circumstances?

Roy Jones Jr was more famous after the 1988 Olympics for getting cheated out of the gold medal than if he had won. Now I realize there's a difference in getting out-and-out scammed out of something, but bear with me here.

Why do any of us know who Jim Joyce is? Don Denkinger? 

I suppose if you ask me about Ted Valentine I'd have a much different opinion than the average college basketball fan, and I guess that does expose the hypocrisy we are guided to with our biases. But part of sports is the human element.

And it's not like players and fans don't make mistakes in key moments. How do Georgetown fans view Fred Brown? Cub fans Steve Bartman? Cowboys fans Jackie Smith? Michigan fans Chris Webber?

I know losing hurts. I said in another thread that IU losing to UK in 1975 was personally a dark day. But to let computers and replay take over all aspects of arbitration in sports is wrong. If it was up to me, I'd take all replays out of all sports. Let the chips fall where they may...

It's the "human" thing to do...😁

Fade to the bar scene where the friends are lamenting the use of computer officials. I think this movie has legs!

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The game is played by humans and the game should be officiated by humans.  I wish people would stop trying to make all sports so sterile and unenjoyable to watch by trying to make everything perfect.

As Ted Valentine knows, people really tune into see the officials

Image result for picture of Ted valentine

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Quantum computing.

We might be closer than one would think.  Not that I am for it.

A lot of fans do not realize they want the correct call mainly when the incorrect call hurts their own team more than the other team .

When it helps their rooting interests, few of that team's fans sit around and say

"Man, I wish that ref hadn't blown that call that let the door for my team's comeback stay open " 

Beer.....recognizes bias. Lol  I'm okay with them getting some right and some wrong. I also think teams who lose when it comes down to refs , got beat by their own undoing well before it fell on a ref. So it goes hand in hand, for me with not caring to see the quest for automation continue into sports any further at all. 

Archived