Conference Realignment

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

They will add teams….question is teams like Boise St and BYU who wanted P5 offers before would they see this as a step up now???  I think the question would be who do they pull in?? 

So if I'm Oklahoma State or Kansas or Texas Tech, my options are wait until the Big 12 offers some other mid level teams, or actively seek membership in another P5 conference?

I'd think that would be a no brainer for any administrator...

I know we see this differently, but I do enjoy the debate. Stirs the thought...

Edited by IUFLA

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So if I'm Oklahoma State or Kansas or Texas Tech, my options are wait until the Big 12 offers some other mid level teams, or actively seek membership in another P5 conference?

I'd think that would be a no brained for any administrator...

I know we see this differently, but I do enjoy the debate. Stirs the thought...

Oh...they were all seeking admittance to PAC12 and B1G10. So far the PAC12 said you don't add enough value....I suspect the B1G will say the same (Kansas and ISU) as their revenue share is even bigger. I think the case is pretty clear...hold it together and try to add some top level teams from the AAC and hope you can have on field success to keep you in the playoff picture every year and hold revenue levels....there are tons of articles out there but the tv contracts for G5 teams compared to P5.....is like night and day. We are talking tens of millions compared to barely a million for even the best members of the AAC. They can't afford to fall to that level...they are just going to have to tighten their belt and cut expenses. Honestly, Kansas has done the best in relating to that....of course they don't field a competitive football team either....so hmm. The easiest way to cut expenses is with coaching salaries....it will be interesting how long ISU and OKST etc can hold on to their top coaches (who are the biggest reason they have competitive teams). In a couple years I look for smart P5 programs to make big offers knowing the schools can't match to lure them away.

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh...they were all seeking admittance to PAC12 and B1G10. So far the PAC12 said you don't add enough value....I suspect the B1G will say the same (Kansas and ISU) as their revenue share is even bigger. I think the case is pretty clear...hold it together and try to add some top level teams from the AAC and hope you can have on field success to keep you in the playoff picture every year and hold revenue levels....there are tons of articles out there but the tv contracts for G5 teams compared to P5.....is like night and day. We are talking tens of millions compared to barely a million for even the best members of the AAC. They can't afford to fall to that level...they are just going to have to tighten their belt and cut expenses. Honestly, Kansas has done the best in relating to that....of course they don't field a competitive football team either....so hmm. The easiest way to cut expenses is with coaching salaries....it will be interesting how long ISU and OKST etc can hold on to their top coaches (who are the biggest reason they have competitive teams). In a couple years I look for smart P5 programs to make big offers knowing the schools can't match to lure them away.

I read the hopeful additions are UCF, Cincinnati, Boise St, and BYU...none of those teams catapult the Big 12 back into relevancy...

It'll be 3 years before Texas and Oklahoma vamoose for the SEC (at the end of the current Big 12 media contract). Wouldn't it be smarter for the still relevant teams to beg their way into the B1G, ACC, or Pac 12 even taking a lesser amount of money to do so? 

3 years a lot can happen, but if I'm a booster for any of the remaining Big 12 schools, I'm gonna do my damndest to stay out of what amounts to a lesser conference in the long run...

4 hours ago, rico said:

Could be but BYU is a national brand so to speak.

BYU football independence has been pretty darn successful. I read this article when I first started thinking who the Big 12 will go after....BYU would be a very very good get. By far the most successful school not already in a P5.

https://espn960sports.com/byu/byu-football-revenues-how-independence-is-sustainable/

IMO BYU and Boise would be the two biggest to get. Following up with Houston to help geographically in Texas to hold relevance as much as possible and then pick one of Cincy or UCF to be a travel partner with W Virginia. They may just choose to add two (BYU/Boise St) because adding more at the bottom end syphons funds from an already depleating top schools.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It'll be 3 years before Texas and Oklahoma vamoose for the SEC (at the end of the current Big 12 media contract)

In my opinion there is no way that Texas and Oklahoma are still playing in the Big 12 next year. They will be in the SEC by next season or the following at the latest. 

The SEC and Texas have to much money and influence, so they will make something happen.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

In my opinion there is no way that Texas and Oklahoma are still playing in the Big 12 next year. They will be in the SEC by next season or the following at the latest. 

The SEC and Texas have to much money and influence, so they will make something happen.

I am sure the Big 12 would welcome that.

25 minutes ago, rico said:

I have a feeling that both BYU and UCF will be better for the Big 12 than what Texas is/was?

I don't know, especially if it's all about money...

I think before Texas and Oklahoma leave, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St at the least try to find a new home, and the Big 12 turns into a modern day old CUSA...

Edit: And Kansas, K-St, Iowa St will keep looking to leave too...

Edited by IUFLA

On 9/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, IUFLA said:

I don't know, especially if it's all about money...

I think before Texas and Oklahoma leave, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St at the least try to find a new home, and the Big 12 turns into a modern day old CUSA...

Edit: And Kansas, K-St, Iowa St will keep looking to leave too...

Who wants them? Better together than joining another lesser conference. I don’t see a major conference taking them in.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:13 AM, rico said:

That would allow all of them to get a piece of the UT/OK revenue money...would be nice to see one of them come in and win the conference and the rest whip up on OK/UT on their way out....kinda make a statement about the level of competition going up with UT gone. Big middle finger lol.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

That would allow all of them to get a piece of the UT/OK revenue money...would be nice to see one of them come in and win the conference and the rest whip up on OK/UT on their way out....kinda make a statement about the level of competition going up with UT gone. Big middle finger lol.

I truly believe that BYU is a major get and UCF will not disappoint.

• Like 1