Indianapolis 500

I do hate that for Graham, but that is Indy. For my money, there is nothing more dramatic in sports than Bump Day at Indianapolis. 

In regard to the Rahal team, they miss having a guy like Sato or Oriol Servia on the team who is above average in setting up the cars. Graham is a good shoe, but not a premier set up guy like the other two I mentioned. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I do hate that for Graham, but that is Indy. For my money, there is nothing more dramatic in sports than Bump Day at Indianapolis. 

In regard to the Rahal team, they miss having a guy like Sato or Oriol Servia on the team who is above average in setting up the cars. Graham is a good shoe, but not a premier set up guy like the other two I mentioned. 

So glad somebody brought up Servia. That guy knew the track as well as anyone. Never won....but you could put him in 9th row parts and with 10 to go he'd be there in 7th. Almost clockwork.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

So glad somebody brought up Servia. That guy knew the track as well as anyone. Never won....but you could put him in 9th row parts and with 10 to go he'd be there in 7th. Almost clockwork.

I read a blog one time by a guy who covered IndyCar. He said if he was starting a brand new two car team one of the two drivers he would hire would be Servia because of his ability to set cars up. He would be better to have on that team than Back of the Pack Jack. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I read a blog one time by a guy who covered IndyCar. He said if he was starting a brand new two car team one of the two drivers he would hire would be Servia because of his ability to set cars up. He would be better to have on that team than Back of the Pack Jack. 

No knowledge of the intricacies of the track. I remember Tony calling AJ's guys once saying they needed to float it into 1 higher because of the speed they would carry into 2 and beyond. With that said.....many of pools won because of guys like Servia. They just know the place. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Wilson is out for Sunday after today’s wreck. I’m guessing we see Hildebrand or Karam in that car. 

Just saw this morning that back in 2010 at Iowa Graham Rahal filled in for them before. Wouldn't be a total shock to see him announced in 45....but I could see Hildebrand for sure too.

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just saw this morning that back in 2010 at Iowa Graham Rahal filled in for them before. Wouldn't be a total shock to see him announced in 45....but I could see Hildebrand for sure too.

I thought about GR, but then there is the Honda/Chevy thing that would have to be worked out.  

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I thought about GR, but then there is the Honda/Chevy thing that would have to be worked out.  

I thought almost all the drivers had a "personal services" contract with the owners, as opposed to their own car brand deals. I suspect Bobby Rahal could certainly work out an arrangement with the other owner. Most of those guys are friends anyway. Many of them help each other in ways we don't always see in the media. I knew an owner/driver a long time ago and he shared a couple of things some of the big time owners did for him.

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

I thought almost all the drivers had a "personal services" contract with the owners, as opposed to their own car brand deals. I suspect Bobby Rahal could certainly work out an arrangement with the other owner. Most of those guys are friends anyway. Many of them help each other in ways we don't always see in the media. I knew an owner/driver a long time ago and he shared a couple of things some of the big time owners did for him.

Whatever the case, Rahal it is.  I'm glad it worked out for him.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Less than 5,000 seats remaining per Doug Boles. Would be funny if he gets his sellout and lifts the blackout, but then it probably also sends the wrong message that the blackout worked.

Heard last night they were expecting 325,000. Hopefully they don't shut down General Admission sales like they did at the 100th.

14 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Weather is looking good. Looks like we are going to avoid the heat which is good for comfort and the racing. 

If you or anyone else is headed out I'd suggest allowing a lot of extra time. Carb Day crowds today are really big and with Boles saying attendance on Sunday will be the largest in 25 years (with 100th in 2016 being the exception) expect longer than normal lines. 

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If you or anyone else is headed out I'd suggest allowing a lot of extra time. Carb Day crowds today are really big and with Boles saying attendance on Sunday will be the largest in 25 years (with 100th in 2016 being the exception) expect longer than normal lines. 

I don’t even try to drive out on race day. I pony up the extra $ to take the shuttle bus from the airport. The only year I made the drive as 2021 when there was no bus service. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I don’t even try to drive out on race day. I pony up the extra $ to take the shuttle bus from the airport. The only year I made the drive as 2021 when there was no bus service. 

We've got a route that has worked for years. Only year it backfired was in 2016 and from the sounds of it we might be having one of those days again. 

If I can get to Lafayette I head North. Hang a left at The Recovery Room Lounge on 19th and take that West thru all the neighborhoods to Luett Ave. There are businesses and parking for $20 and it's literally a 10 minute walk to turn 2 entrance. 

Arrgh, it happens every year I don't go. I saw Homefield Apparel tweet dreaming about the moonlight on the Wabash, which led me down a YouTube rabbit hole of Jim Nabors videos from years past, and now I desperately wish I was going on Sunday. The latest CrimsonCast didn't help either, with Scott talking up the pageantry and ceremony for that entire hour plus leading up to the green flag. Couldn't agree more. Now I'm going to bottle this feeling of FOMO and pour it in to planning for next year. I'm already excited, even if first I'm going to be jealous of you who will be in Speedway this weekend.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Arrgh, it happens every year I don't go. I saw Homefield Apparel tweet dreaming about the moonlight on the Wabash, which led me down a YouTube rabbit hole of Jim Nabors videos from years past, and now I desperately wish I was going on Sunday. The latest CrimsonCast didn't help either, with Scott talking up the pageantry and ceremony for that entire hour plus leading up to the green flag. Couldn't agree more. Now I'm going to bottle this feeling of FOMO and pour it in to planning for next year. I'm already excited, even if first I'm going to be jealous of you who will be in Speedway this weekend.

That's always our thing. We've been out to track a few times for practice and quals already and we thought about missing 500 because we've got long days Saturday and Monday....but we squashed that because we'll always miss all the build up, traditions, flyovers, first few laps, and the crowds for another year if we don't go.

• Like 1

Draft Kings has a +250 boost on betting the winner. The betting boost had me looking at who all qualified and I saw the name Sting Ray Robb. I had to look that guy up, turns out it is his real name? Rookie driver, +15,000 to win so the boost wouldn't matter much there lol.

Debating a bet on Helio for the heck of it. Just talking low dollar bets here, nothing serious lol.