Indianapolis 500

One other thing I'll throw in. Didn't want to mess up the NBA thread but if the Pacers win 2 more games vs Knicks you'll have a Memorial Day Weekend in Indy of Carb Day, Pacers hosting 2 home games, and the 500 all wrapped into one weekend.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm thinking we should be good for tomorrow, Thursday, Friday is hit or miss, Saturday should be good and Sunday/Monday are July temps.

Tough week for sure.

On a side note I'm with you on Dixon. When you talk with people they think oh he's got a couple or whatever. Nope. One only. Given the amount of laps he's led it's almost impossible for him to have only 1 title. Just goes to show Indy owes nobody.

Race Day is looking a little sketchy as of now, but this far out you can't trust the forecast.  Lord willing, I"ll be there Saturday.  Thankfully it's looking good like you say. 

• Like 2

Come on Mother Nature...give it a rest. I'm hoping it stops soon so they can get out there. This afternoon looks dry but cool. 

Tomorrow seems good but now Friday is looking like trouble again. They might have to add some more hours or more scheduled practice times over the weekend.

Don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but there's a really good doc on Netflix called 100 Days to Indy. Six episodes recorded during the 2023 season. Not long ago, a big problem for Indycar was that nobody knew the drivers. With a bumper crop of new talent the last few years, this has been a great watch, getting to know the face and some of the personalities beneath the helmets. Maybe some of y'all follow this stuff closer and know the guys better, for me this has been a perfect appetizer for the coming race.

• Like 1

Had a really good day at the track yesterday. Drivers and teams were changing up quite a bit because of I'm assuming lost time. They were running sims for qualifying as well as pack racing with other teammates. Should see the speeds go much higher today but keep an eye on Colton Herta. So far he seems to have the most speed over several laps of course things can change.

Notable changes for the track. Turn 4 mounds they added a ton of new TV's/Screens so people on the mounds can watch all the way around the track. They also added an automated food area where you walk in grab your stuff and walk out and your card is automatically charged. No lines for that part of things.

Overall a really good first day...glad to be headed back out on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Veekay was the star of the day today. 

Weird day for sure. All of the cars that were fast stayed up the charts but a guy like Herta getting booted in the final 20  for a car that was wrecked was good drama.

I'm not a Graham Rahal fan so take this comment with a grain of salt but him calling out Honda afterwards saying Sato had better stuff was pretty......we'll just call it suspect.

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I hate that there is basically zero drama for today. Siegel is clearly the slowest and will be the one not to make it. The pole will be one of the three Penske cars. I’m worried those three just line up now to tail and check out next Sunday. 

Weird thing about the track is just when we think we know what will happen something changes it up. On the surface I agree with you...Siegel will likely be out but somehow someway something will happen today to change things up.

PS...really impressed with Larson. I know he's out of the Tony Stewart mold of a drivers driver but for him to come in and get acclimated this quickly is impressive. Of course nothing can prepare you for 32 other comrades and a few hundred thousand watching you on raceday but so far so good.

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

@Seeking6, give some hope with this forecast. Everything I am seeing looks BAD. 

I already spoke to the big guy. All good....now if I was Kyle Larson I might be sweating things a bit but Sean Ash already said it's still far enough out to make any predictions. He said by Thursday we'll all know more!

PS...any of you guys on here from Columbus area? My uncle just got a place down there and he was curious if 500 is live or is Columbus still in blackout area for TV?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

@Seeking6, give some hope with this forecast. Everything I am seeing looks BAD. 

Ugh, you made me go look. Sunday doesn't look good at all. Maybe we'll get a window for Monday. Of course, this stuff can and does change day by day. Wondering if I should put in that PTO request for Tuesday just in case...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Ugh, you made me go look. Sunday doesn't look good at all. Maybe we'll get a window for Monday. Of course, this stuff can and does change day by day. Wondering if I should put in that PTO request for Tuesday just in case...

Things seem to be trending as of today for more rain now. Guess we'll see how it plays out. Interesting to see what Kyle Larson's camp does. He's already qualified for the playoffs but if IIRC each driver has to start each race unless Nascar approves a waiver.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Things seem to be trending as of today for more rain now. Guess we'll see how it plays out. Interesting to see what Kyle Larson's camp does. He's already qualified for the playoffs but if IIRC each driver has to start each race unless Nascar approves a waiver.

Just saw an article that McLaren is talking with Tony Kanaan about replacing Larson, if the weather forces a delay. I can confidently say I'd much rather cheer on TK one more time, so kinda hoping this happens now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Just saw an article that McLaren is talking with Tony Kanaan about replacing Larson, if the weather forces a delay. I can confidently say I'd much rather cheer on TK one more time, so kinda hoping this happens now.

If a team replaces a driver, do they have to go to the back of the grid, or do they keep their qualifying position?

1 hour ago, DWB said:

If a team replaces a driver, do they have to go to the back of the grid, or do they keep their qualifying position?

Someone can correct me, but I believe it's the car that qualifies, not the driver. So TK would start in the same spot.

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Someone can correct me, but I believe it's the car that qualifies, not the driver. So TK would start in the same spot.

That's what I thought, but didn't want to assume anything.

On 5/22/2024 at 11:04 AM, Maedhros said:

Just catching up again on this thread. My understanding per Indy Car rules states the first driver knocked out from Pole Day would step in. Of course we know the track has rules and other rules so who knows.