High school recruit signs with pro team

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rico said:

Hopefully this kid sets a precedent for others to follow.  And I hope the NBA took notice.

The thing is if these kids was notoriety or fame going this route won't get them that.  It also won't help their brand entering the NBA in a year because the fans will all but forgotten who this kid is when he enters the draft.

I also read a story a few weeks back that mentions that a lot of the NBA executives actually would prefer the age limit be increased to 20 years old instead of getting rid of one and done format.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is if these kids was notoriety or fame going this route won't get them that.  It also won't help their brand entering the NBA in a year because the fans will all but forgotten who this kid is when he enters the draft.

I also read a story a few weeks back that mentions that a lot of the NBA executives actually would prefer the age limit be increased to 20 years old instead of getting rid of one and done format.

Well, they are getting paid.  If they impress, so be it.  If they fail, so be it as well.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, they are getting paid.  If they impress, so be it.  If they fail, so be it as well.  

I couldn't care less if more kids do this because I don't like the direction the college game is going right now anyways.  To me everything in college is trying to make it more and more like the NBA game which is not what I want out of the college game.  If I want to watch the NBA then I will watch the NBA and since I don't care for the NBA that well then leave the college game alone and keep it like the college game.

Just wish more young men felt like this.

"My dream has never to play in college. My dream has always been to play at the highest level. I see this a my first step in that direction. "......R.J. Hampton. 

I am not sure if the academic rules have change.  However it was not that long ago, When Bobby Knight complained about OAD's who would take a minimum of courses the first semester, and then just coast the rest of the academic year, before entering the draft. 

If this kid wows in Australia will he not have the love and support of an entire continent, if he continues to grow and becomes a star in the NBA? 

I think its too early to write the end of the story on this one.  

I too would love more kids to go pro out of college.   Makes too much sense,  get paid while working and training around the clock with other pros. Marketing dollars will come rolling in with an impressive start in the NBA. 

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where he is drafted and his play on the court will determine his fame. Look at Luka... 

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If this kid wows in Australia will he not have the love and support of an entire continent, if he continues to grow and becomes a star in the NBA? 

I think its too early to write the end of the story on this one.  

I too would love more kids to go pro out of college.   Makes too much sense,  get paid while working and training around the clock with other pros. Marketing dollars will come rolling in with an impressive start in the NBA. 

He won't get marketing dollars by playing over seas that he would get with a year in college because nobody over here will care what he is doing in New Zealand.  Just like I don't watch the g- league I wouldn't watch games from over seas even if it was available.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Where he is drafted and his play on the court will determine his fame. Look at Luka... 

He got his fame from his rookie year in the NBA and was not that well know in this country until then.  If he played a year in college everyone here would already have know who he was and would have gotten the endorsements the minute he declared for the draft.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

He won't get marketing dollars by playing over seas that he would get with a year in college because nobody over here will care what he is doing in New Zealand.  Just like I don't watch the g- league I wouldn't watch games from over seas even if it was available.

You an expert on marketing dollars over seas?  You have no idea what the Kiwis will pay.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Im talking about his future.  If and when he makes the nba and evetually rises to star level, he'll make his money.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im talkimg aboit his future.  If and when he makes the nba and evetually rises to star level, he'll make his money.  

It did not help Brandon Jennings and he was as highly ranked recruit as this kid is.  I am saying even if Zion would be a huge bust in the NBA he has already made 100 of millions of dollars from his one year at Duke.  If Zion would have went to New Zealand and played a year he would not be as huge of marketing tool as he is since he went to Duke.

Just now, IU Scott said:

It did not help Brandon Jennings and he was as highly ranked recruit as this kid is.  I am saying even if Zion would be a huge bust in the NBA he has already made 100 of millions of dollars from his one year at Duke.  If Zion would have went to New Zealand and played a year he would not be as huge of marketing tool as he is since he went to Duke.

I guess you didnt read what i said and im not going to repeat it

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I guess you didnt read what i said and im not going to repeat it

I know what you said about if or when he becomes a star in the NBA he will get his money.  What I am saying is if he is a bust over there and he doesn't get drafted highly then he lost out on a lot of money than he would if he had a successful year in college.

Plenty of factors involved in this one. Short vs Long $. Risk of being forgotten for a year vs being on national TV 2 times per week for 6 months. If he turns out to be a star in 3 years the $ will take care of itself. However if he turns into others who have followed this path and doesn't turn into a star....he will have missed the window of 9 figure shoe deals like Zion will sign this summer. 

To me there is still far more upside for the elite of elite by going to school for one year but to each their own. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know what you said about if or when he becomes a star in the NBA he will get his money.  What I am saying is if he is a bust over there and he doesn't get drafted highly then he lost out on a lot of money than he would if he had a successful year in college.

Sooooooo.......you like OAD's?  You talking in circles.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Ok.  We are all talking in if code.  I'm interested to watch how each and every one of these plays out. 

Brandon Jennings, even if he went to Duke, was never going to be as good as Kyrie and make the money Kyrie has made.  Nothing wrong with Brandon Jennings, his talent, or his decision to go to play in Italy a year.  Dude is a solid NBA player of 9 seasons now.  Just no once in 10 year talent.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ok.  We are all talking in if code.  I'm interested to watch how each and every one of these plays out. 

Brandon Jennings, even if he went to Duke, was never going to be as good as Kyrie and make the money Kyrie has made.  Nothing wrong with Brandon Jennings, his talent, or his decision to go to play in Italy a year.  Dude is a solid NBA player of 9 seasons now.  Just no once in 10 year talent.  

No code on my end.  Just trying to figure out what side of the fence Scott is on.  He doesn't like OAD's but now it appears that he is chastising a kid for going over seas.  ????????  What is up with that?

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Sooooooo.......you like OAD's?  You talking in circles.

No I said I hope other will do this but saying if they think this is going to be a bigger benefit than going to college I think they are wrong.  I wouldn't care if every player who already has it in their mind that they will leave after a year go this route because it will make the college game better.

Archived