High school recruit signs with pro team

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not sure haven't really looked into it, but Mudiay was already committed and expected to enroll at SMU.

From what I have read and listened to, Mudiay could not pass entrance requirements.  But I have been wrong many times.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rico said:

From what I have read and listened to, Mudiay could not pass entrance requirements.  But I have been wrong many times.

It's possible - but same thing was said about, for example, Bledsoe, along with many others and as quoted above, he and his family shot it down. Keep in mind he was going to play for Larry Brown, at SMU (which he picked over multiple top flight programs). Parish reported simply "real or imagined" eligibility issues. We'll never know, but any talking head reporting that this kid is setting a precedent isn't really doing his job.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's possible - but same thing was said about, for example, Bledsoe, along with many others and as quoted above, he and his family shot it down. Keep in mind he was going to play for Larry Brown, at SMU (which he picked over multiple top flight programs). Parish reported simply "real or imagined" eligibility issues. We'll never know, but any talking head reporting that this kid is setting a precedent isn't really doing his job.

I think they are just talking recent history with the NBA rule.  I really haven't delved into it myself, nor do I care.  Kid gonna play pro ball overseas.

Looks like ESPN is still promoting Zion and Duke on ESPNU the las couple of weeks because they are showing a lot ofpm tonight they are showing our game against Duke their games from the previous season.  I think it is suppose to be showcasing the top draft picks in this years draft but all the games feature Duke.  By the way if any one is interested at 8PM tonight they are showing our game against Duke.

On 5/29/2019 at 5:00 PM, IU Scott said:

Looks like ESPN is still promoting Zion and Duke on ESPNU the las couple of weeks because they are showing a lot ofpm tonight they are showing our game against Duke their games from the previous season.  I think it is suppose to be showcasing the top draft picks in this years draft but all the games feature Duke.  By the way if any one is interested at 8PM tonight they are showing our game against Duke.

Talking about Zion.  Here is another example as to why the NBA MUST get rid of the OAD rule.

Check out Zion's course load, while at Duke :

Zion Williamson Is Gonna Shock the World 

31 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Talking about Zion.  Here is another example as to why the NBA MUST get rid of the OAD rule.

If I had a class load like that at IU, I could have maintained a consistent 4.0 GPA while maintaining a consistent 0.2 BAC.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

"Sexual Pleasures of the Modern World" & "The History of Hip Hop"?!!!

Duke has completely prostituted the academic process...hilarious and sickening at the same time.

I took History of Hip Hop at IU... Class was entirely online, lol.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:17 AM, IU Scott said:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article230888274.html

R.J Hampton signs with team in New Zealand instead of going to college

Looks like Kenyon Martin's son (a 3 * player) is skipping out on Vandy.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2019/06/05/vanderbilt-basketball-kenyon-martin-jr/1344659001/

21 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I honestly don't see anything wrong with his classes.  They are all in the performing arts genre, minus the history of sex, and to be honest he is a freshman who wasn't trying to graduate in 3 years.  And the fact that he is still there finishing up his classes means he at least took them seriously even if they were pretty light loaded.  Give the kid a break, i know half my freshman year classes at ISU were a pretty easy cakewalk for me too.  He wasn't trying to graduate so taking all elective classes that sound fun and easy (which are still collegiate approved classes) sounds like the way to go.  What would you do if you knew you were going to go pro after basketball season was over?  Its not like he is coming back in the near future to get his degree.

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I honestly don't see anything wrong with his classes.  They are all in the performing arts genre, minus the history of sex, and to be honest he is a freshman who wasn't trying to graduate in 3 years.  And the fact that he is still there finishing up his classes means he at least took them seriously even if they were pretty light loaded.  Give the kid a break, i know half my freshman year classes at ISU were a pretty easy cakewalk for me too.  He wasn't trying to graduate so taking all elective classes that sound fun and easy (which are still collegiate approved classes) sounds like the way to go.  What would you do if you knew you were going to go pro after basketball season was over?  Its not like he is coming back in the near future to get his degree.

Zion's course load is everything that is wrong with the OAD rule. Academic advisors help students through college so they can finish with a degree. Did Zion take legit courses ?  Of course he did.   But the courses Zion took had  nothing to do do with his working on a degree. All they had to do was to get him through one year of forced college, until he moved on to the NBA.  His not trying to graduate is the very reason the NBA needs to get rid of the OAD rule.   

And it is not about what I would do under similar circumstances. But rather, every thing that is wrong with making a mockery of having to be in college in the first place.  Zion could make up for it IMHO.  By setting up an endowment for "real" students, with just a portion of the millions he is sure to earn in the NBA and with endorsements.  However, I am not counting on that. 

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Zion's course load is everything that is wrong with the OAD rule. Academic advisors help students through college so they can finish with a degree. Did Zion take legit courses ?  Of course he did.   But the courses Zion took had  nothing to do do with his working on a degree. All they had to do was to get him through one year of forced college, until he moved on to the NBA.  His not trying to graduate is the very reason the NBA needs to get rid of the OAD rule.   

And it is not about what I would do under similar circumstances. But rather, every thing that is wrong with making a mockery of having to be in college in the first place.  Zion could make up for it IMHO.  By setting up an endowment for "real" students, with just a portion of the millions he is sure to earn in the NBA and with endorsements.  However, I am not counting on that. 

Why would he need to make anything up.  Just because he is forced to go to college.  Its not like he failed or stopped going to classes.  He took legit classes that, i doubt you or i know, maybe part of a liberal arts degree.  Or could be part of a performing arts degree.  We don't know, maybe he likes dance and acting.  But he owes no one anything.  He went to school.  Took the required number of classes for a whole year and is finishing out said year even though he is set to make like 100mil in the next few years.

Just my opinion though.  I respect your right to your opinion and even though it may or may not differ from mine

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Why would he need to make anything up.  Just because he is forced to go to college.  Its not like he failed or stopped going to classes.  He took legit classes that, i doubt you or i know, maybe part of a liberal arts degree.  Or could be part of a performing arts degree.  We don't know, maybe he likes dance and acting.  But he owes no one anything.  He went to school.  Took the required number of classes for a whole year and is finishing out said year even though he is set to make like 100mil in the next few years.

Just my opinion though.  I respect your right yours and that it may or may not differ from mine

Yep.  According to a great source of mine. A moderator of a Duke site I have known for over a decade now .  Zion is still on campus. Or has been. "Studying" for a final.  At least he did not skip out on the second semester, as so many other OAD's have done in the past.  Plus.. as I say, at least Zion took legit classes, rather than fake paper classes that were offered for 18 years at another ACC school. 

Report: 3,100 students took fake classes

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yep.  According to a great source of mine. A moderator of a Duke site I have known for over a decade now .  Zion is still on campus. Or has been. "Studying" for a final.  At least he did not skip out on the second semester, as so many other OAD's have done in the past.  Plus.. as I say, at least Zion took legit classes, rather than fake paper classes that were offered for 18 years at another ACC school. 

Meh, Duke really invented this stuff.  Seemed like it used to be that everybody on the team took Sociology.  

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Meh, Duke really invented this stuff.  Seemed like it used to be that everybody on the team took Sociology.  

Duke's Sociology program requires students to take statistics.  Much as IU required me to do while working towards my degree in business at IU.  As, the following story says, not exactly a puff course :

ESPN Dissin' Duke Basketball Over Degree Program 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Duke's Sociology program requires students to take statistics.  Much as IU required me to do while working towards my degree in business at IU.  As, the following story says, not exactly a puff course :

ESPN Dissin' Duke Basketball Over Degree Program 

Every player on the team Mile?  With the same major?

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/duke-basketball-and-ind-std-courses.30740/

34 minutes ago, rico said:

Well. The link that I posted said not all players chose Sociology as a major.  I will say this in reference to Statistics, which was a required course in the IU school of business for me... that many of my classmates put off taking it until late in their Junior year, or first semester Senior year.   I was convinced I would not pass the course, so I took it first semester Sophomore year.  Thinking that I would need at least two more years to pass the course.  Instead, I worked my butt off and was granted an A.  The only A in my class. We started the class out with over 100 students. Only 15 finished the class without dropping out. And I was only one of seven to pass. 

Then, when I would talk to other business majors who had not taken Stix yet... and told them I had already taken it. And told them I Aced the course, none of them believed me.

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I had a friend who took bowling and tennis one summer so regular students take easy classes as well

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I had a friend who took bowling and tennis one summer so regular students take easy classes as well

Funny.  At the school I went to P.E. was a freshman requirement.  I took golf and racquetball.

Just now, rico said:

But a lot of those quotes game from ESPN, but yeah there definitely is irony there.

"How dare you pretend to be an elite academic institution and allow your athletes to skate by. Hell, we quit pretending we were an academic institution period 20 years ago."

Archived