Austin Van Zyl 2019 PG interest

Indy1987

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Pretty bizarre stuff. Interested to read and hear more about... whatever is next. 

You've been around long enough, and close enough to recruiting to know that recruiting can get crazy at times.  Our members need to understand that.  And I just want to say.... thanks for all that you bring to Hoosier Sports Nation.

Heck, Moses Abraham was mentioned in a thread today.  And I had it on good authority (very good in fact) that when he left IU on his last visit that he told several players that he would be committing to IU. Once he was able to speak to his mom.  Only to have him commit to Georgetown, a few days later. 

I truly don't think that the lack of a backup point guard is the root of this offer.  Based on this kid's goals, he's not going to be happy in that role.  

So, the only things I can think of are:

• All of the injuries last year has Archie spooked.  But, he did coach one year at Dayton with 6 scholarship players.
  • Or, there is some roster 'adjustment' that we are not privy to yet. If so, that's disappointing, because I like the mix of who we had coming back combined with the roster additions.

4 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You can get a sense for all of the comings and going in the B1G next year here.  I didn't want to pick IU as high as fifth, but when you look at the talent lost and the lack of good recruits coming in, well...

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/big-ten-basketball-2019-20-key-roster-changes-and-first-prediction/

Thank you.  I can't put IU ahead of solid programs at this time so they are behind,  Michigan and sadly Purdue, along with a Wisconsin team returning a lot of solid program guys. Could see 6th or 7th, to 11th.  Guessing 8th or 9th, sadly, at this time.  

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Thank you.  I can't put IU ahead of solid programs at this time so they are behind,  michiganand sadly Purdue, alomg with a wsiconsin team returning a lot of solid program guys. Could see 6th or 7th, to 11th.  Guessing 8th or 9th, sadly, at this time.  

If IU finishes 8th worse in the B1G  next year in year three, there's going to be a real problem in Bloomington.

Couple that with not making a bowl game again? 

Turn out the lights.....the party's over for Fred Glass. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You've been around long enough, and close enough to recruiting to know that recruiting can get crazy at times.  Our members need to understand that.  And I just want to say.... thanks for all that you bring to Hoosier Sports Nation.

Heck, Moses Abraham was mentioned in a thread today.  And I had it on good authority (very good in fact) that when he left IU on his last visit that he told several players that he would be committing to IU. Once he was able to speak to his mom.  Only to have him commit to Georgetown, a few days later. 

I recall reading an article a few years ago about a high school football player that stated he had a scholarship offer to a very big program, and even had a "signing day" if I'm not mistaken. Come to find out, that school either never offered, or never even heard of the kid. So, crazier things have happened!

4 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

I recall reading an article a few years ago about a high school football player that stated he had a scholarship offer to a very big program, and even had a "signing day" if I'm not mistaken. Come to find out, that school either never offered, or never even heard of the kid. So, crazier things have happened!

Just found the story. Sorry, wasn't a VERY big program, but still D-1 nonetheless.

Kevin Hart to sign with D-II school http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7525340/kevin-hart-recruit-lied-california-golden-bears-sign-missouri-western-state

7 hours ago, CoachSS said:

If anyone thinks IU will actually finish 10th next year given what is happening at other Big Ten programs. 

This made me laugh. Thanks Indy

I know the early preseason rankings don't mean squat.  It is pretty sad to see us projected that low though.  I just don't see this team finishing in the top five.  This past season 2 or 3 wins was the difference in finishing 6th to 12th.  We were one loss from being in a 4 way tie for 9th.   

I hope like crazy we do better but my crimson colored glasses broke long ago.

Go Hoosiers!!!

31 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Yep. Can't say. That kind of thing does and has not happened.  However, still not takes away from what anyone of our great insiders are hearing, and are willing to share with us.

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. Can't say. That kind of thing does and has not happened.  However, still not takes away from what anyone of our great insiders are hearing, and are willing to share with us.

Here you go

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7525340/kevin-hart-recruit-lied-california-golden-bears-sign-missouri-western-state

18 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Hey! No conflict. Kid was never offered and has not been recruited by IU so my most original post is still dead on.... as far as I know..... in my little world. 

This is just the weirdest thing ever. Could he be trying to use these colleges as leverage to negotiate a better contract over seas?? No matter at least this isn’t a case of commitment or not...it’s just over an offer so I guess no reason to get worked up. Strange.

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

Bizarre. Strange. Confusing. 

I literally don’t know but I am adamant in that IU isn’t recruiting him. 

So incredibly odd. 

I would think a somebody from IU has to have been in contact to find out why the kid is spreading false information then. 

13 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Seriously. It has to. The next curveball will be a tweet saying he signed with Providence last November or something. 

If this isn’t true about the IU offer then I’m beginning to think he is just using the college route as a tactic to ask for more Euros from his team. Like if I don’t get what I want I’ll use my eligibility and go to college. Reaching out to a few teams then supposedly getting offers might scare them into compromising on a contract. I don’t know why else he would fake an offer unless he is trying to use it as leverage. My only thing is I wonder why we are getting conflicting info...as your insiders and the ones at rivals it appears differ. I know no one can be right 100% of the time but this is too weird. 

Archived