Do you Jerky?

Make it at home that is. We do.

Got a  dehydrator from Cabella's .  And a professional meat slicer, which we use both for jerky and Italian Beef.

My son does the marinades.

And it is better than store bought.  As well as much less expensive than store bought.

So... would love to hear from you. Do you Jerky ?

I do sometimes when I can get enough of the right cut of meat.  I need to do it more often.  I have a dehydrator but prefer to do it in the oven.

For a marinade I just make whatever sounds good at the time. 

No slicer but I have found the best knife for cutting meat, for me, is a fisherman's fillet knife. Especially good for breaking down whole chickens. 

28 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I do sometimes when I can get enough of the right cut of meat.  I need to do it more often.  I have a dehydrator but prefer to do it in the oven.

For a marinade I just make whatever sounds good at the time. 

No slicer but I have found the best knife for cutting meat, for me, is a fisherman's fillet knife. Especially good for breaking down whole chickens. 

All that works. A good sharp knife is as good as a professional slicer. And much less expensive. I have gone with a knife when I am too lazy to clean the slicer. 

Have seen many You Tube vids on oven doing Jerky. Unlike you. I prefer the dehydrator.  But then again... each to their own. Whatever works is for you is best.

As far as marinades. The sky is the limit.

Good jerky... ing to you.  Keep on experimenting. It only gets better and better.

14 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I’ve made it before in a dehydrator but it’s been a while. Do you use top round?

I’ve been thinking about trying it in my smoker soon. 

I have used top round.  The choice of meat varies.  Many options.  For me, two things to consider.  One. Fat content.  The less fat, the better.  Second... price.  I tend to go for what ever meat is on sale, or has been marked down.  Just the opposite of when I am buying a steak to grill. 

2 hours ago, BDB said:

Yes, I use ground turkey (93/7) and nesco jerky seasoning.  Hint: I double up on the seasoning.  Mix up the day before and pull it out of the fridge a few hours before putting it on the trays in the dehydrator.  I like the hot & spicy, the wife likes teriyaki. 

https://www.nesco.com/product-category/dehydrating/jerky-kits-seasoning/

I like spicy.  However, Teriyaki is great as well. And salty is a fav too.   We make up our seasoning, as we go. Marinating for less time, than over night is what we have discovered as best.

Thank you very much for the link. Appreciated. 

Archived