Jump to content

Best of each State lists for foodies, and other food lists!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Had to see what they had for Illinois. I figured it'd be Nick and Vito's. Good, but my favorite is Home Run Inn.

When talking deep dish, they mention Geno's and Pequod's, but I think Lou Malnati's is better than both of those.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Had to see what they had for Illinois. I figured it'd be Nick and Vito's. Good, but my favorite is Home Run Inn.

When talking deep dish, they mention Geno's and Pequod's, but I think Lou Malnati's is better than both of those.

I prefer Giordanos, Ginos East and Lou Malnatis in that order. Years ago, my office was across the street from a Home Run Inn and we would hit up their lunch buffet. My kids like Home Run Inn more than I do. Beggars is a good one too.

Mile, have we got your mouth watering yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I prefer Giordanos, Ginos East and Lou Malnatis in that order. Years ago, my office was across the street from a Home Run Inn and we would hit up their lunch buffet. My kids like Home Run Inn more than I do. Beggars is a good one too.

Mile, have we got your mouth watering yet?

There's a lot of great pizza in the Chicagoland area. We use to go the the HR Inn in Lemont, and on Friday or Saturday it was an hour wait. I'm just happy to get their frozen pizza ( at HEB along with Nick and Vito's too) down here in Texas. Damn good for frozen.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I prefer Giordanos, Ginos East and Lou Malnatis in that order. Years ago, my office was across the street from a Home Run Inn and we would hit up their lunch buffet. My kids like Home Run Inn more than I do. Beggars is a good one too.

Mile, have we got your mouth watering yet?

Making me homesick.  Love Home Run. Can get it in the freezer counters at the local grocery stores.  Always cut it into squares. 

And have ordered from Malaniti's for years. Up to four at a time. Just to have some in the freezer, when a deep dish hankering hits.  Kind of pricey. But worth the price, IMHO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Reacher said:

I prefer Giordanos, Ginos East and Lou Malnatis in that order. Years ago, my office was across the street from a Home Run Inn and we would hit up their lunch buffet. My kids like Home Run Inn more than I do. Beggars is a good one too.

Mile, have we got your mouth watering yet?

Love Giordano.  We are going to try Art of Pizsa in Chicago this weekend. Any good food recommendations for Chicago. Something that is kinda unique to the city. 

 

We The Pizza in DC is amazing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Love Giordano.  We are going to try Art of Pizsa in Chicago this weekend. Any good food recommendations for Chicago. Something that is kinda unique to the city. 

 

We The Pizza in DC is amazing 

Shane. I've always wanted to try the Chicken Vesuvio at Harry Caray's.   It is unique to Chi-town.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Shane. I've always wanted to try the Chicken Vesuvio at Harry Caray's.   It is unique to Chi-town.

That sounds good.  Heading to the Windy City Smokeout BBQ FEST. I will report back on my findings. Old Dominion will be in Concert then off to see the Reds and Cubbies.  My boys first trip to Wrigley

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That sounds good.  Heading to the Windy City Smokeout BBQ FEST. I will report back on my findings. Old Dominion will be in Concert then off to see the Reds and Cubbies.  My boys first trip to Wrigley

Seeing as you have Pizza and BBQ covered, and the kids may not appreciate Goose Island, you could try http://www.superdawg.com/. Not too far from O'Hare if you are flying in. Something quick and cheaper for a lunch.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Love Giordano.  We are going to try Art of Pizsa in Chicago this weekend. Any good food recommendations for Chicago. Something that is kinda unique to the city. 

 

We The Pizza in DC is amazing 

The obvious choice for me would be Portillos. A Chicago institution. Reasonable prices and good burgers, Chicago dogs, Italian beef, and if you can find one with a Barnelli's pasta attached, some pretty awesome pasta dishes (the Peasant Pasta and the Chicken Diavolo are both excellent). Very comfortable place to take kids too.

And their chocolate cake is killer...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The obvious choice for me would be Portillos. A Chicago institution. Reasonable prices and good burgers, Chicago dogs, Italian beef, and if you can find one with a Barnelli's pasta attached, some pretty awesome pasta dishes (the Peasant Pasta and the Chicken Diavolo are both excellent). Very comfortable place to take kids too.

And their chocolate cake is killer...

And with that...I remembered this...

https://www.portillos.com/portillos-is-headed-to-fort-wayne-indiana/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2019 at 7:09 PM, IUFLA said:

The obvious choice for me would be Portillos. A Chicago institution. Reasonable prices and good burgers, Chicago dogs, Italian beef, and if you can find one with a Barnelli's pasta attached, some pretty awesome pasta dishes (the Peasant Pasta and the Chicken Diavolo are both excellent). Very comfortable place to take kids too.

And their chocolate cake is killer...

Or, if you happen to have one of those low-calorie conditions, Portillos chocolate cake shake (or during summer, the lemon cake shake). A big hunk of their cake thrown in a blender with ice cream.

 

Yes, it's as obscene as it sounds but good God is it good. It's a DQ Blizzard in a fat suit. One of those things that you know how ridiculously bad it is for you, but is so good you don't care.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Or, if you happen to have one of those low-calorie conditions, Portillos chocolate cake shake (or during summer, the lemon cake shake). A big hunk of their cake thrown in a blender with ice cream.

 

Yes, it's as obscene as it sounds but good God is it good. It's a DQ Blizzard in a fat suit. One of those things that you know how ridiculously bad it is for you, but is so good you don't care.

I forgot about those...They are great. When I initially read the calorie count, I promised myself, "ok, this is a once in a lifetime treat, so go for it! "

And I've been true to my word...if I was a dozen cats...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been to what  was listed for Colorado.  Bagel Deli. Not far from my house. Really good. But got to say.  At least a dozen deli's close to me are equally as great.  We are not NYC. But, have a bunch of great deli's. Other than NYC, only other city that I think compares is Chicago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2019 at 12:45 PM, Drroogh said:

This article is factually incorrect. They didn't list Graeter's for Ohio. Quite possibly the best ice cream in the country.

A quart of Graeter's black raspberry chip will be one of the last foods I consume while on this planet if I have a say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Drroogh changed the title to Best of each State lists for foodies, and other food lists!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...