The five most hated rivals in IUBB history ?

Swap out Louisville with Michigan State, and Notre Dame with Michigan.

As far as Duke goes, some rivalries are defined by just a few moments...the 1992 Ted Valentine game and an underdog IU team in 2002 keeps Duke on my personal list.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree...I think IU has more of a rivalry with the Michigan teams and Illinois than Duke...just not enough history there.

Like I said I view all the conference teams as rivals because each of those game means a lot for the conference championship.  After that of course would be UK and UL and not as much Notre Dame but if you asked this question in the 80's then ND would be right up there.  To me when we played them on a yearly basis on campus is a lot better than once every two years in Indianapolis.

My list is something like this...

UK

Michigan

OSU

MSU

PU

Some might be surprised at how low I have PU on the list, but it's mostly because I view IU as a national program and IMO those other schools are more threats to our national status and how IU is viewed nationally. Typically, IU is not battling PU for a 4* recruit from Virginia, but we might be battling each of those other schools for that recruit. I guess I just look at PU as more of a regional program compared to those others. I view the Michigan, MSU, OSU group as more of a threat in terms of being viewed as the 'premiere' Big Ten program. 

Not sure if that makes sense, but it's how I view it. 

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said I view all the conference teams as rivals because each of those game means a lot for the conference championship.  After that of course would be UK and UL and not as much Notre Dame but if you asked this question in the 80's then ND would be right up there.  To me when we played them on a yearly basis on campus is a lot better than once every two years in Indianapolis.

Rivals, sure.  But which game is going to be approached with more intensity by both players and fans....Indiana vs Northwestern in late January or Indiana vs Duke in a B10/ACC challenge game?

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Rivals, sure.  But which game is going to be approached with more intensity by both players and fans....Indiana vs Northwestern in late January or Indiana vs Duke in a B10/ACC challenge game?

I go by what game has the most importance and to me any conference game is more important than a non conference game in early Dec..  Like I said yesterday about the 89 season where we lost 3 non conference games big early but went onto winning the conference.  Even though we won the conference we got a 2 seed and UI got the 1 seed because of the two games they beat us in conference.  if we won at least one against we would have gotten the 1 seed in the Midwest and played in the Hoosier Dome instead we got moved out West.  Even losing those non conference games did not have really any bearing on the season.

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I go by what game has the most importance and to me any conference game is more important than a non conference game in early Dec..  Like I said yesterday about the 89 season where we lost 3 non conference games big early but went onto winning the conference.  Even though we won the conference we got a 2 seed and UI got the 1 seed because of the two games they beat us in conference.  if we won at least one against we would have gotten the 1 seed in the Midwest and played in the Hoosier Dome instead we got moved out West.  Even losing those non conference games did not have really any bearing on the season.

Back then there was a balanced schedule.  The regular season conference title mattered.  Not so much now.  Different time in '89........this is '19.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Back then there was a balanced schedule.  The regular season conference title mattered.  Not so much now.  Different time in '89........this is '19.

I still think today the first goal every year should be winning the conference because that will allow a better chance in the tournament.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still think today the first goal every year should be winning the conference because that will allow a better chance in the tournament.

That is because you are stuck in 1989.  Time to move on.  Unbalanced schedules and a CT in the B1G now.  

5 minutes ago, rico said:

That is because you are stuck in 1989.  Time to move on.  Unbalanced schedules and a CT in the B1G now.  

Maybe it does not mean anything to you but it still does to me so I will still think it is the most important thing.  So you are saying being one of the top 2 teams in your conference is not beneficial in your seeding in the tournament.  Also are you saying the seed you have in the tournament does not impact on how well you do in the tournament.  Also it does not matter what era you are in because winning the conference should always be priority one for any team in any conference.  I would rather win the conference than have a couple of big wins in the non conference.  How did those huge wins against UNC and KU help Crean's last team since they did not make the tournament.

These are the last 5 champions and how they finished in the conference and how they did in the conference tournament.

19 UVA 1st and lost in semi finals of tournament

18 Villanova 2nd and won conference tournament

17 UNC 1st and lost in semi finals of tournament

16 Villanova 1st and lost in the championship game of tournament

15 Duke 2nd and lost in the semi finals of tournament.

to me it kind of shows how you finish in your conference leads to great results in the NCAA Tournament.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree with this. Win the conference title or at least compete for it (top 4ish every year) consistently, winning every few years, and you'll consistently have a really good tournament seed which increases your chances for a deep run every few years. It's what MSU does. They're in the top few finishers in the conference every year, which means high seeds in the tournament every year, which means deep runs every couple/few years, etc. 

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

These are the last 5 champions and how they finished in the conference and how they did in the conference tournament.

19 UVA 1st and lost in semi finals of tournament

18 Villanova 2nd and won conference tournament

17 UNC 1st and lost in semi finals of tournament

16 Villanova 1st and lost in the championship game of tournament

15 Duke 2nd and lost in the semi finals of tournament.

to me it kind of shows how you finish in your conference leads to great results in the NCAA Tournament.

Meh, you are just pulling data that supports your stance.  I didn't say I wouldn't like to win the regular season title...I am saying it isn't as important as it once was.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Meh, you are just pulling data that supports your stance.  I didn't say I wouldn't like to win the regular season title...I am saying it isn't as important as it once was.

I totally disagree with that and that is fine.  You told me not to live in the past so I just went to the last 5 champions and it shows that winning the conference is very important.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I totally disagree with that and that is fine.  You told me not to live in the past so I just went to the last 5 champions and it shows that winning the conference is very important.

What about all the teams that finished top 2 in their conference and didn't win the NCAA championship? Of course the NCAA champion is highly likely to have done well in their conference since they're the best team in the nation and conference is a subset of that.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Swap out Louisville with Michigan State, and Notre Dame with Michigan.

As far as Duke goes, some rivalries are defined by just a few moments...the 1992 Ted Valentine game and an underdog IU team in 2002 keeps Duke on my personal list.

Exactly. While not a rival technically there are moments in time (both of which you listed) that will always mean a little more. Plus add to the fact that if Knight changed the way K did he would have had another 2-3 titles to his already Mount Rushmore status.

2 minutes ago, cybergates said:

What about all the teams that finished top 2 in their conference and didn't win the NCAA championship? Of course the NCAA champion is highly likely to have done well in their conference since they're the best team in the nation and conference is a subset of that.

Exactly and that is why I think the teams in your conference is more of a rival than non conference teams.  I am just stating to me that winning the conference is the most important thing during the regular season and far outweighs what you do in the non conference.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well let's go back to your favorite decade...the 80's.  And specifically '83, '85, '88, and '89.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Well let's go back to your favorite decade...the 80's.  And specifically '83, '85, '88, and '89.

Well the game was a lot better back then but that has nothing to do with today.  I am done arguing with you on this point because we will not agree on this topic.  I just can't believe you don't think that actually winning th conference is that important.  It does not matter if it was the 70's or 80's or today that is the most important goal for the season.  Winning the conference totally outweighs anything you can do in the non conference and you can still over come a few losses early in the non conference and still get a good seed in the tournament.  You can have a great non conference but don't do well in conference you will more than likely not do well in the NCAA tournament or you might miss it all together.

Archived