Are you ready for some college football?

Definitely!! 

I'm ready to (hopefully) see IU take the kind of leap forward that brings a warm front of fair weather fandom into both the stadium and IUFB forums everywhere. Lol 

Conversation gets rather lonely among my circles of friends when IUFB comes up locally. I have to make long distance calls for 90% of it ..

When I bring up IUFB among my Bloomington people, it almost feels like my impression of what making a recruiting pitch feels like.  

I guess I have just been thinking a lot of what the IU fanbase might look like should they finally have a true breakout year - in the internet age. Hoping for the best but I want to make it perfectly clear I wear 35 years(since being old enough to recognize ANY sport)  of 100 percent loyalty on my sleeve and will even more when I see  a corner turned. Although it would be absolutely awesome to see IU eventually have a huge, interested fanbase there would most definitely …..be some laughter when Im alone.

I find fickle natures amusing, personally., .

Having been laughed at for being a diehard IUFB fan dozens of times there are PRECIOUS FEW things in life I want to see more at this stage. Forgive the tone Just saying what I know other IUFB diehards can probably relate to. Having grown up in/playing  sports, myself, as a late bloomer who missed the bus on becoming a class prospect  ,I had a chip on my shoulder I would go out and take out on everyone I played who knew me as I was before the light came on.    However as a fan watching others, it is a more helpless sense of loyalty driven frustration. Completely different when something is out of your own hands to try to rectify in any way. But it won't feel any less good if/when the time comes to see the rewards of staying tuned in.

Another thing to be honest about .Since you are one of the first diehards I think of who I hope get another chance to see IU really have some true undeniable success,  I have never saw it . I saw the Mallory days, and recall hearing the older people around me who did follow,  talking of how much better 67 was with the Rose Bowl team... How much better 79 was with the Holiday Bowl team.  To the older crowd who was around for the distant few IUFB Glory Days. Until/unless that level happens ever again  I will continue to envy the fact you were born before I was!!  XD

I'm beyond ready for some college football, and whether any of this with IU happens or not specifically in 2019, it's coming …. If not now, then very soon. Until then time to buckle up and enjoy IU perhaps being slept on while it lasts.  GO HOOSIERS!! 

2 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Definitely!! 

I'm ready to (hopefully) see IU take the kind of leap forward that brings a warm front of fair weather fandom into both the stadium and IUFB forums everywhere. Lol 

Conversation gets rather lonely among my circles of friends when IUFB comes up locally. I have to make long distance calls for 90% of it ..

When I bring up IUFB among my Bloomington people, it almost feels like my impression of what making a recruiting pitch feels like.  

I guess I have just been thinking a lot of what the IU fanbase might look like should they finally have a true breakout year - in the internet age. Hoping for the best but I want to make it perfectly clear I wear 35 years(since being old enough to recognize ANY sport)  of 100 percent loyalty on my sleeve and will even more when I see  a corner turned. Although it would be absolutely awesome to see IU eventually have a huge, interested fanbase there would most definitely …..be some laughter when Im alone.

I find fickle natures amusing, personally., .

Having been laughed at for being a diehard IUFB fan dozens of times there are PRECIOUS FEW things in life I want to see more at this stage. Forgive the tone Just saying what I know other IUFB diehards can probably relate to. Having grown up in/playing  sports, myself, as a late bloomer who missed the bus on becoming a class prospect  ,I had a chip on my shoulder I would go out and take out on everyone I played who knew me as I was before the light came on.    However as a fan watching others, it is a more helpless sense of loyalty driven frustration. Completely different when something is out of your own hands to try to rectify in any way. But it won't feel any less good if/when the time comes to see the rewards of staying tuned in.

Another thing to be honest about .Since you are one of the first diehards I think of who I hope get another chance to see IU really have some true undeniable success,  I have never saw it . I saw the Mallory days, and recall hearing the older people around me who did follow,  talking of how much better 67 was with the Rose Bowl team... How much better 79 was with the Holiday Bowl team.  To the older crowd who was around for the distant few IUFB Glory Days. Until/unless that level happens ever again  I will continue to envy the fact you were born before I was!!  XD

I'm beyond ready for some college football, and whether any of this with IU happens or not specifically in 2019, it's coming …. If not now, then very soon. Until then time to buckle up and enjoy IU perhaps being slept on while it lasts.  GO HOOSIERS!! 

Great post!

I was 9 when the Hoosiers went to their only Rose Bowl. Vaguely remember the game....knowing we'd have a difficult time stopping OJ.

I was a student in Bloomington in 1979. That was a great year, given how bad we were the year before. In 1978, on my birthday, I sat in the rain and watched us get pounded by Nebraska 69-17. I had put up with the Lee Corso jokes and corniness for so long that entering '79, I was extremely skeptical that we would be competitive. We were only blown out once in 79--to Ohio State, although we still could not win the Bucket against a highly rated Toiletmaker team. Probably the most fun I have had as an IU football fan.

I lived in Madison when Wisconsin went to the Rose Bowl in 1993, for the first time in a long time. About half the city left for Pasadena, and those that stayed behind partied well into the next morning (guilty as charged). The Rose Bowl game and parade are bucket list items for me, however as I have told my wife, only if the Hoosiers are playing. Hopefully happens again in my lifetime.

As a long-suffering IU football fan, I'm hoping to see us turn the corner this year and get to a bowl - and win the damn thing. I'm also ready to see us beat OSU or Michigan, which I have never witnessed. (Became a fan in 1989 when I was a freshman.)

22 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Great post!

I was 9 when the Hoosiers went to their only Rose Bowl. Vaguely remember the game....knowing we'd have a difficult time stopping OJ.

I was a student in Bloomington in 1979. That was a great year, given how bad we were the year before. In 1978, on my birthday, I sat in the rain and watched us get pounded by Nebraska 69-17. I had put up with the Lee Corso jokes and corniness for so long that entering '79, I was extremely skeptical that we would be competitive. We were only blown out once in 79--to Ohio State, although we still could not win the Bucket against a highly rated Toiletmaker team. Probably the most fun I have had as an IU football fan.

I lived in Madison when Wisconsin went to the Rose Bowl in 1993, for the first time in a long time. About half the city left for Pasadena, and those that stayed behind partied well into the next morning (guilty as charged). The Rose Bowl game and parade are bucket list items for me, however as I have told my wife, only if the Hoosiers are playing. Hopefully happens again in my lifetime.

Thanks!  I appreciate you recalling your fondest experiences as an IU Student / diehard IU FB fan too!   .My dad's cousin actually played as a reserve RB on that 1978 team -  the year I was born. He actually caught his only career TD pass that season and had his only one rushing in '77.   

I sincerely  hope you get to check those off your Bucket list!!! Not JUST out of personal  selfishness of wishing the same for me but just being able to relate to sticking by something and getting angry and hopeful and all else in between - yet the payoff continues to elude. 

Just feeling generally glad things currently look hopeful -direction-wise although far from satisfied,  and I bet '79 was a real thrill to witness personally given how few saw it coming - the way you described. 

I always found inspiration for loyalty as a fan watching how good people felt when a long streak of misfortune finally ended in any sport .The closest I have came to having a long time wish satisfied was seeing the Triple Crown by American Pharoah in 2015.  The Cleveland Indians still have not given me a little bit of closure in MLB but my sports/life bucket list has shrunk over the years down to wanting to see IU have a great team and the Pacers winning a title in my lifetime  .lol 

To hear the talk of folks who lose hope and suggest it will never happen again give way to euphoria in the moment it did - it was so simple for my mind to automatically swap in IUFB in place of Horse Racing - Or even the Cubs fans I know after their WS - in  the same context of long sports droughts with anything I followed by a payoff . I'm a far bigger IUFB fan than Horse Racing but I yelled pretty loud -  finally seeing a Triple with my own eyes  and had a real good time watching a 4 legged animal break a drought far away from home .I can only think how much further I would go celebrating something just as new but having a much larger emotional investment ..and with IUFB - there are also the actual money investments made into being a fan in IU gear, game tickets, cable bills just to see them play any of their TV games -  and, so much more to date. It's worth it now but wont compare to how worth it all would feel getting to see newfound success even if just once. Although sustained would be highly preferable. In internet age when people distort how close IU really has felt to turning the corner in the past it would add value..The "best" part outside of IU fans, IMO  is most college football media would actually have to do some research on IU instead of more rinse repeat making their jobs way too easy- with things like predicting where IU might finish the year after .To see the National media fail to grasp explanation of how Indiana came from "out of nowhere" would be oh so satisfying,Lol .  

Tough game for my Canes last night. Plenty of fixable mistakes. Feel much better after 1 game with Manny than I did last year in year 3 getting throttled by LSU. 2 True freshman starting at Left and Right Tackle for Canes, Redshirt Freshman Center....with first start for Williams who looked pretty poised.

Sloppy play for both sides. To be expected for an opener I guess. 122 degrees on the field at kickoff didn't help matters....even by Florida standards it was hot. I don't think Florida is Top 10....and looking at the schedule. Canes have a chance to run a long stretch of wins off. They should be favored in every other remaining game. 

Archived