Will there ever be another "Pistol Pete" ......

.... in college basketball ?

Calbert Cheany still is the B1G all time scorer.

And Maravich is still the all time scoring leader in NCAA history. Despite playing before the 3 point rule, and freshman rule.  He did it in just three years.

Pete Maravich 

I doubt we will ever see the likes of Calbert or Pete in the college game ever again.

What do you think?  Hoosier Sports Nation.

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

.... in college basketball ?

Calbert Cheany still is the B1G all time scorer.

And Maravich is still the all time scoring leader in NCAA history. Despite playing before the 3 point rule, and freshman rule.  He did it in just three years.

Pete Maravich 

I doubt we will ever see the likes of Calbert or Pete in the college game ever again.

What do you think?  Hoosier Sports Nation.

No because great players at big schools won't be in school long enough.  There were players this year at S. Dakota St and another small college player who moved into the top 10 in scoring.  I have noticed that in the last 25 years that players don't have as high of a scoring average as some did in the past.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No because great players at big schools won't be in school long enough.  There were players this year at S. Dakota St and another small college player who moved into the top 10 in scoring.  I have noticed that in the last 25 years that players don't have as high of a scoring average as some did in the past.

You raise a very good point.  NBA greed.  Steal a great shooter from the college game. Showcase him, instead of allowing him to finish his college career. 

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You raise a very good point.  NBA greed.  Steal a great shooter from the college game. Showcase him, instead of allowing him to finish his college career. 

If someone would break the record it would be from a small D1 school who probably don't have the size for the NBA.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If someone would break the record it would be from a small D1 school who probably don't have the size for the NBA.

I agree. However. A great shooter out of high school theses days, IMHO, would be scarfed up by a high major.

Still more reason, why we won't see another "Pistol Pete" in my day.  And it is a shame.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I agree. However. A great shooter out of high school theses days, IMHO, would be scarfed up by a high major.

Still more reason, why we won't see another "Pistol Pete" in my day.  And it is a shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_career_scoring_leaders

List of the top 25 leading scorers in D1 history.  Clemons from Campbell and Daum from S. Dakota St graduated last year and only 5 others came from the 2000's.  Also 8 of the top 25 on the list never had the 3 point shot so someone like Maravich had the 3 pointer he would have a way larger lead on this list.  Also look at the games played and you see Maravich did this in 83 games where players today plays over 130 games in a 4 year career.  Some on this list only play 3 years because freshman was not eligible to play in that era.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_career_scoring_leaders

List of the top 25 leading scorers in D1 history.  Clemons from Campbell and Daum from S. Dakota St graduated last year and only 5 others came from the 2000's.  Also 8 of the top 25 on the list never had the 3 point shot so someone like Maravich had the 3 pointer he would have a way larger lead on this list.  Also look at the games played and you see Maravich did this in 83 games where players today plays over 130 games in a 4 year career.  Some on this list only play 3 years because freshman was not eligible to play in that era.

Thanks for that link. I really appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

No one will ever approach Maravich.  Players at smaller schools will occasionally exceed Cheaney's total because they are not NBA prospects.  

Agree. I just wish some of our younger members would have been able to see the magic that was "Pistol Pete".  Most every time, he took the court, I was looking for something special. And he rarely failed to perform. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Agree. I just wish some of our younger members would have been able to see the magic that was "Pistol Pete".  Most every time, he took the court, I was looking for something special. And he rarely failed to perform. 

I know you don't like the NBA, but you should try watching some of the guards in it and you might be surprised at the resemblance. 

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Plus, they would probably also have to play for a bad to mediocre team. Maravich took almost 40 shots per game. Curry averaged fewer than 20 attempts at Davidson 

36 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Plus, they would probably also have to play for a bad to mediocre team. Maravich took almost 40 shots per game. Curry averaged fewer than 20 attempts at Davidson 

And play for their Dad.

Like Pistol Pete as much as anybody (and I think the overlooked part of his game was his passing...great court vision) but he did have some built in advantages.

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I know you don't like the NBA, but you should try watching some of the guards in it and you might be surprised at the resemblance. 

I don't see much in the NBA that resemble him. What I do see is players that carry the basketball ,on every single dribble almost, who pick the ball up in their hand and then hesitate and then start dribbling again making it almost impossible to guard. I see constant isolation basketball with pick n roll that places over sized bigs on smaller guards with no chance to guard them and then there is the walking violations that occur on almost any given possession and in the end it doesn't even resemble basketball...much less the ball Pete and many other greats played just a few decades ago. Sure there is the drama of the games and yes I do still tune in...but it is not similar to anything from a generation ago...and that is too bad imo. This is why I prefer to watch good high school and college basketball (although that is getting harder to find as well).

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't see much in the NBA that resemble him. What I do see is players that carry the basketball ,on every single dribble almost, who pick the ball up in their hand and then hesitate and then start dribbling again making it almost impossible to guard. I see constant isolation basketball with pick n roll that places over sized bigs on smaller guards with no chance to guard them and then there is the walking violations that occur on almost any given possession and in the end it doesn't even resemble basketball...much less the ball Pete and many other greats played just a few decades ago. Sure there is the drama of the games and yes I do still tune in...but it is not similar to anything from a generation ago...and that is too bad imo. This is why I prefer to watch good high school and college basketball (although that is getting harder to find as well).

Image result for old man yells at cloud gif

I don't disagree, but I couldn't resist.

28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Image result for old man yells at cloud gif

I don't disagree, but I couldn't resist.

Sad thing is I'm 40! But 40 is the new 70 lol. My dad had a Pistol Pete Training/Drill tape that I used to watch and practice to growing up. I'm telling you some of the best basketball drills for a young ball player you could ever teach. I wore it out til the VCR couldn't play it any longer. Of course I was thrilled to see game footage when the internet came around many years later. What a treat! Now that my dad has passed it is these memories to this day that I cherish! Jack Nicklaus and Pistol Pete instruction videos....so many afternoons watching together and then going out into the back yard to practice.

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

How about Mike Davis's son, Antoine, up at Detroit?

Plays for Dad? Check. Has the green light? Check. Plays for a mediocre team? Check. Not really an NBA prospect at this point? Check.

I can see Antoine staying 4 years as long as Mike is there as well. He got up 20 shots per in his freshman season. I can see that rising. He'd have to average about 30 per game to come close, but I can see that happening too. Factor in the 3 pt shot, and who knows?

On 8/30/2019 at 3:55 PM, milehiiu said:

how is the nba going to not allow a college player to finish his college career?

On 8/31/2019 at 11:17 AM, dgambill said:

Sad thing is I'm 40! But 40 is the new 70 lol. My dad had a Pistol Pete Training/Drill tape that I used to watch and practice to growing up. I'm telling you some of the best basketball drills for a young ball player you could ever teach. I wore it out til the VCR couldn't play it any longer. Of course I was thrilled to see game footage when the internet came around many years later. What a treat! Now that my dad has passed it is these memories to this day that I cherish! Jack Nicklaus and Pistol Pete instruction videos....so many afternoons watching together and then going out into the back yard to practice.

if you're 40 the internets have been around since you were a kid. thanks for making me feel so old whippersnapper

34 minutes ago, coachv said:

how is the nba going to not allow a college player to finish his college career?

No way.  As the OAD  rule stays in place. Can't force any player to finish a college career. Even if the OAD goes away.  Just think the chances increase exponentially, for each year a player stays in school.  Getting closer to a degree should motivate some to stay in school to get that degree.  Just my opinion.

Archived