OT Suicide Prevention

btownqb

I posted a couple of years ago about my best friend committing suicide. Today is national suicide prevention day. I just simply wanted to let all of you know you are all loved more than you'll ever know by the people in your life. There isn't a day in my life that goes by that I don't think about my friend. I've come to terms that I cannot change what happened in his life, but maybe.. this post will help someone or help you all help someone struggling in their life. Please ask for help if you need it, please. 

FB_IMG_1568158408636.jpg

My wife’s first husband had a horrible accident, became addicted to pain meds, could never work again, and took his life. Left a 3 and a 1 year old behind. Happened right about now- mid September. About 40 years ago.

This is still a rough time of year for my wife but we work through it. The kids barely remember their dad so it doesn’t affect them as much. 

You are 1000% correct brown. Love them like it’s the last time you’re gonna see them. Love gets you through what you don’t think you have the strength to get through. Even just a little love, a little attention, can make a huge difference to someone who might be struggling.

Had an uncle walk out into the woods one day after work and took his life using a shotgun. My aunt was the one who found him. Cant imagine carrying the imagery of that around. 

Thing is not many knew he was struggling with depression. It's not something we thought he would do. 

Sorry to hear about your loss. 

Depressionn, anxiety, and other mental health issues don't mean that you are flawed, or that you have failed. They are physiological conditions that are treatable. Often times, they can actually be symptoms of an underlying problem.

5 years ago, I was fighting depression-like symptoms. I tried fighting through it on my own, but thankfully, I sought professional help. As it turns out, the depression was actually a co-morbidity brought on by.....ADHD. You hear so much about it being over-diagnosed that the diagnoses that get missed never come to light. I'm the antithesis of hyperactive and never struggled in school. But, because my brain would jump from here to there so often that it felt as if I was never completing anything, which was the primary feeling of my depression.

5 years later...no comparison. And all it takes is just daily medication. No different from a thyroid condition or other minor medical condition that is easily treatable.

Sorry for the ramble, but just to echo the above sentiments, if something doesn't feel right, get help before things get worse. No shame in it, and things may not be as bad as you think.

My best friend from high school drove out to the Morgan Monroe Forestry last year and took his own life. His wife called and asked me  if I had heard what happened to him. I had no idea and was naturally shocked and I'm still  left with many questions.  I naturally asked her why and she said he had many demons he was struggling with. I had been out of touch with him for a hand full of years, mainly because of distance. I think about him everyday and wish I had been in touch with him...Maybe I could have helped......maybe not. I will never know.

Archived