California's 'Fair Pay to Play Act'

tdhoosier

32 minutes ago, coachv said:

so only football and basketball players get paid? and football players at penn st will make 20 times what one at indiana makes. great idea

I thought that I read or heard somewhere that in order for a sport to be included in this, they had to produce at least $10 million a year in television revenue. That would pretty much count out the Olympic sports

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, coachv said:

the schools won't be sharing because they aren't the ones who will be paying.

Hypothetical scenario: Booster loves IU basketball. Booster donates money to IU basketball so they have better facilities and a bigger recruiting budget to get the best recruits. 

Under the law the booster will now be able give the money directly to the recruit for an endorsement of some sort. This booster does not give as much money to the athletic department. Multiple this by a thousand and across hundreds of colleges. It's a small piece of the pie the NCAA and it's universities will lose out on. 

58 minutes ago, rico said:

According to Wiki, Lily's net worth is a cool $2 million.

was she making endorsement money while at iu, i wonder? if so, did it have to be held in some kind of trust? if not, how was she able to maintain amateur status to swim in the ncaa? anyone?

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think it is so much the NBA who would not do the MLB model but it is the players association.  I heard the NBA commissioner talk about how a lot of the owners want to raise the age than lower it.

I am with you on some things Scott...one being the NBA model(or POS as I call it) is destroying the college game from all facets.

5 minutes ago, coachv said:

was she making endorsement money while at iu, i wonder? if so, did it have to be held in some kind of trust? if not, how was she able to maintain amateur status to swim in the ncaa? anyone?

The time frame suggests she was, but I have no idea.  

2 minutes ago, coachv said:

or they could build one around indiana and ship it down near alabama and mississippi where it belongs. just leave beautiful bloomington where it is

Nah, leave California where it is at and be sure the wall we build around it is high enough we don't have to listen to anything that state has to say.  

5 minutes ago, coachv said:

nike is very involved with the university of oregon. if this law goes through, nike can offer every basketball recruit 1 million per year for an endorsement deal to make sure oregon is the best program in the country. football, too. nike loves some track and oregon is already among the best. nike has virtually limitless funds for this. forget about donors. the bidding will be during recruiting. even if there is a stipulation that no endorsement deals can be signed before a recruit signs with an institution, that won't mean squat. if a recruit sees an obvious track record for endorsement money at a particular school, that will be enough.

these endorsement deals can also be put in place before a recruit signs. who would enforce how the money gets delivered to the athlete. the ncaa won't have any jurisdiction. no body of governance will have jurisdiction. just pure capitalistic highest offer wins. 

fair market value for an endorsement? throw that concept out the window. it's whatever the market is willing to pay. and those providing the money to the athletes in many cases will not care less if they get a return on their "investment". take a guy like t. boone pickens. was worth about a half trillion dollars. big oklahoma state guy. like wrestling, too. he could offer $200k to each wrestler on the squad. think for a moment okla. st. would not have the best team in the ncaa? now that he is gone, he could still leave a trust to do the same. he could set up a trust and make sure his entire estate gave 6 figure endorsement deals for every basketball, football, and wrestling athlete to be paid for the next 50 years. 

think about this. in some instances college athletes in major sports will be able to make more playing college than the nba or the nfl. say mark cuban offers james blackmon $300k to endorse wickets if he stays for his senior season. think he doesn't stay. 

open this can of worms and you will have the biggest clustercuss in college sports.

Thanks for the reply - this is exactly what I think needs to be debated. 

If that were to be the case, then why doesn't Oregon have the most lucrative Nike contract? Why do they pay OSU, Michigan, Texas, etc. more?  It's because Nike is a business, they sponsor the most valuable universities and their interests are divested. This law is not going to somehow spur companies to make stupid business decisions. 

52 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

If I was a millionaire? HELLLLLL NO. Call me cheap or not a 'true fan'. haha. That's hard earned money! Zion didn't even win a championship!

buy a corporation would. or an individual bazillionaire could set up a corporation to pay the player, thus making it a business expense. that would be a tax write-off as well

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks for the reply - this is exactly what I think needs to be debated. 

If that were to be the case, then why doesn't Oregon have the most lucrative Nike contract? Why do they pay OSU, Michigan, Texas, etc. more?  It's because Nike is a business, they sponsor the most valuable universities and their interests are divested. This law is not going to somehow spur companies to make stupid business decisions. 

Make no mistake about it Nike gives millions to Oregon.

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't see why it would have to lead to that, but, let's say that it does. Why do I care? I don't understand why those programs exist. Why does IUPUI spend a bunch of money recruiting kids and sending them all over the country, for them to miss class playing a game that in no way relates to their future profession? I think sports have a lot to offer kids, but if you haven't learned those lessons by the time you finish high school, are those extra 4 years going to help? I don't get it.

If a sports program is taking kids who are at the school anyway, for academic purposes, and happen to be pretty good at a sport, then great. But why should schools be spending a bunch of money on a golf team? Why should kids miss school for that? Why should kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to get into a school, now get in because they are good at a sport that is just going to suck up a lot of school resources and not return money or draw the real interest of anyone?

is this serious?

If so......man, that's just sad.

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I thought that I read or heard somewhere that in order for a sport to be included in this, they had to produce at least $10 million a year in television revenue. That would pretty much count out the Olympic sports

Good luck with Title ix.....

Well, unless the NCAA disbands and the football schools take over. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

While true, is this really going to happen? You're talking ONE MILLION DOLLARS (said like Dr. Evil). I know boosters are crazy but their not going to be blowing a million dollars year after year on a recruit that will attend college for 1 year. That's 'corporation' endorsement dollars; and the thing about corporations who have that much money to spend is that they have shareholders to answer to. 

The market will stabilize itself if boosters get involved. And you know what? The programs with a lot of booster money, are the same programs who already get the best recruits.

OSU's athletic budget was $109 million last year....and now think about the boosters supporting that.

You really think $1 million each for 3 or 4 5 star basketball recruits is out of OSU's reach? Really?

The Texas football program made more money than 10 NFL teams last year. JUST FOOTBALL....

Who are the next college basketball powers? Here ya go....

https://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10

Can't wait to get into a bidding war with Texas A&M, Iowa, Wisconsin, and South Carolina boosters over in state talent....

Archived