Indiana State Game Thread

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Tonight was a clear indication that I was wrong about this team.  I think it's just as much. if not more, attitude with the players than anything else. I get the feeling some of them simply do not care, or at least don't want to put forth the effort to be good.

Agree, though I also think it’s a talent issue. But, your point is great. I don’t want to sit here and go at players, but Rob Jonson has been so incredibly disappointing. It’s just one game, but he’s started this year the way he ended last year, and it’s not just poor play, it comes off as literal disinterest in being out there. 

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Archie is a heck of a coach and he’ll cobble this together, etc., but at the same time everyone wanted to downplay the losses of Bryant, OG and JBJ (who I addmitedly didn’t love), but this is an 18-16 team that lost their 3 best players and had a mediocre recruiting class. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think Archie is a heck of a coach and he’ll cobble this together, etc., but at the same time everyone wanted to downplay the losses of Bryant, OG and JBJ (who I addmitedly didn’t love), but this is an 18-16 team that lost their 3 best players and had a mediocre recruiting class. 

I agree, and I might go as far as to say a less than mediocre recruiting class.  How far behind or bad does Moore have to be to not see any time tonight unless he is hurt.  Smith has been playing poorly in all his games, the game seems to move to fast for him.  The bright spot at least tonight was Al, I thought he competed well, and many including myself thought he was the one we would get the least out of.  This team needs a consistent shooter, and as long as Hartman is out, I do not think we have one.  Reminds me of the Vonleh team that had a decent inside game with him, but no shooters to take pressure off the post.

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Sounds like Archie really hammered the team based on what you guys are saying. 

He was honest about what he saw, but took most of it on himself and the coaches, we need to do better we need to figure out who and how to start stronger.  Very refreshing based on what we have heard in the past.  

I really like this .  CTC had many cupcakes that were fools gold over the years.

This may sound weird, but ... Indiana will be better for having experienced this game tonight, now. Better to get exposed as early as possible than have played a cupcake and found more "fool's gold," in Archie's words. #iubb

2 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Of course I won't quit. I can't. I should though. I really don't enjoy it anymore. The 10 time outs a game really doesn't help. Do you guys actually watch non-iu games anymore? 

Yes I do and have watched many games tonight and I am watching UCLA/Georgia tech right now.  Dude it is a basketball game so it is something you should not get so upset about.  I am 47 and when I was younger I would let the outcome of IU games effect me but the older I get the less it bothers me.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Until the roster is full of Archie's players we will have trouble with defense.  We need more length and better perimeter quickness and kids who can keep their man in front of them.

I think right now Durham fits this mold, and it would appear Moore would as well  but he did not play at all today.

Didn't get a chance to watch or listen to it, but some thoughts based on comments here and box score:

1. We've heard the last few years from people on the board that a great coach could beat you with his team, trade players, and then beat you with your team.  No, we don't have tons of talent, but we have more talent than ISU.  Not a great start.
  2. We've also heard that another trait of a great coach is being able to coach to your team's talents.  If you don't have a lot of shooters, run plays to get guys to the basket, or get your post touches, or get out in transition.  It doesn't appear that our guys were put in good positions to take advantage of their skills and minimize their faults.
  3. Miller has had 8 months with this team.  There is no excuse for this game to be so bad.  Very poorly coached leading up to the game.
  4. No positives to take from tonight, but perhaps most importantly, this was a pawn getting captured.  It wasn't checkmate.  Miller still has plenty of time left to make a comeback from this.  It is possible to call this game what it was...an embarrassment...but still feel that Miller can be the right guy for the job.

Was out in NYC tonight and missed the game. Maybe that was for the best it seems. Doesn't seem like there was a lot went well on either end of the court. Going to try and keep some perspective and remind everybody how exciting last year's opening season win was only to watch it all fall apart throughout the season. Hopefully the reverse happens this year and this one can be a game best left forgotten. 

45 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Didn't get a chance to watch or listen to it, but some thoughts based on comments here and box score:

1. We've heard the last few years from people on the board that a great coach could beat you with his team, trade players, and then beat you with your team.  No, we don't have tons of talent, but we have more talent than ISU.  Not a great start.
  2. We've also heard that another trait of a great coach is being able to coach to your team's talents.  If you don't have a lot of shooters, run plays to get guys to the basket, or get your post touches, or get out in transition.  It doesn't appear that our guys were put in good positions to take advantage of their skills and minimize their faults.
  3. Miller has had 8 months with this team.  There is no excuse for this game to be so bad.  Very poorly coached leading up to the game.
  4. No positives to take from tonight, but perhaps most importantly, this was a pawn getting captured.  It wasn't checkmate.  Miller still has plenty of time left to make a comeback from this.  It is possible to call this game what it was...an embarrassment...but still feel that Miller can be the right guy for the job.

Yep. I'm with you on No.4. One game does not a season make. And one game does also not a coach's tenure make. Anyone here who is legitimately questioning what Archie is doing at the helm is rushing to judgement. Yes, tonight was awful. I forked up the money to buy tickets just so that I could see Archie's first game and because I happened to not be working. It's certainly a frustrating and disappointing result. But I guarantee that the disappointment felt by all of us here doesn't even compare to what every member of the staff/all the players are feeling. Lets see how the season unfolds before we all start losing our minds.

3 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Was out in NYC tonight and missed the game. Maybe that was for the best it seems. Doesn't seem like there was a lot went well on either end of the court. Going to try and keep some perspective and remind everybody how exciting last year's opening season win was only to watch it all fall apart throughout the season. Hopefully the reverse happens this year and this one can be a game best left forgotten. 

It was as frustrating of a basketball game that I have watched in a while. We literally had zero momentum the entire game. The crowd was never able to get into it, because it seemed like after every single bucket they would come down and nail a 3. Not much to cheer for tonight, unfortunately.

It's a very long season. Too much time left to get worked up now.

Archived