NCAA Approves Paid Endorsements

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just going to be very interesting to see how the NCAA navigates all this. Going to be a lot of questions and questionable things moving forward. Also, not sure how enforcement will happen. All I do know is I hope IU takes a proactive stance moving forward. No matter if I like it or not etc etc taking a wait and see or pushing back or slow adoption of these new rules will only set us further behind the schools that have always been at the edge of what is acceptable if not crossing it. We can't afford to get further behind the UK,KU, UNC, Dukes of the world.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Just going to be very interesting to see how the NCAA navigates all this. Going to be a lot of questions and questionable things moving forward. Also, not sure how enforcement will happen. All I do know is I hope IU takes a proactive stance moving forward. No matter if I like it or not etc etc taking a wait and see or pushing back or slow adoption of these new rules will only set us further behind the schools that have always been at the edge of what is acceptable if not crossing it. We can't afford to get further behind the UK,KU, UNC, Dukes of the world.

IU better be proactive about this - starting now. Kids they are recruiting now will most likely be able to take advantage of NLI in their junior or senior years. 

One place where I think it might hurt college sports in general is that the big donors to the athletic department will stop donating money.  They will instead spend their money for player endorsements for their companies so the athletic department will lose money.  If they lose money it could lead them to eliminate the non revenue sports and hurt a lot of kids who are there for both sports and education.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

One place where I think it might hurt college sports in general is that the big donors to the athletic department will stop donating money.  They will instead spend their money for player endorsements for their companies so the athletic department will lose money.  If they lose money it could lead them to eliminate the non revenue sports and hurt a lot of kids who are there for both sports and education.

Also if the athletic department loses donation how will that effect the facilities these athletes use to get better.  If they have less money then it will be harder to find the millions of dollars that is needed to keep your facilities at the top.

My biggest questions:

When will the first player skip high school sports to sign an endorsement and go straight to college with cash?

Who will be the first player to get in trouble for tax issues? 

Who will be the first school to push copyright issues when a player uses a logo, name, etc?

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also if the athletic department loses donation how will that effect the facilities these athletes use to get better.  If they have less money then it will be harder to find the millions of dollars that is needed to keep your facilities at the top.

Donors like getting their names on buildings and facilities(should I list the ones at IU?).    And if that doesn't happen I'm sure a company would love to have naming rights to facilities.  It's already happened at many schools.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

6 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

NC senator to introduce legislation to tax scholarships if an athlete accepts outside endorsements.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/10/29/nc-sen-richard-burr-suggests-taxing-scholarships-athletes-who-cash-likeness/

Go Hoosiers!!!

This has been my fear. You want to be employees....watch what happens. Not just with taxes. I want the kids to earn but opening a giant box here with so many scenarios. Given the NCAA's incompetence over the years no they know the best way to manage.

11 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

NC senator to introduce legislation to tax scholarships if an athlete accepts outside endorsements.

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/10/29/nc-sen-richard-burr-suggests-taxing-scholarships-athletes-who-cash-likeness/

Go Hoosiers!!!

Some how, I just knew this would be like opening up a can of worms.  Thank you California.  Not only are your drivers.... the worst.  Now... look at what you have done.

This is a step in the right direction.  IU needs to be extremely proactive on this.  The amount of money that can flow in recruiting needs to be optimized.  Our basketball players in particular have high potential to reap rewards.  We need clever leadership to optimize this.  This should be a recruiting boon for us because we simply have extremely high fan interest (eyeballs).

What we cannot do is be reactive.  We need aggressive leadership on this.

Archived