Penn State Postgame Thread

KDB

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe it did or maybe it didn’t hit Whop. The real question is, what was he doing even being close to that ball?

He shouldn't have made it close.   But it's his fault on a bang/bang play, but not the officials for screwing it up with access to replay?

Either get rid of replay or get the d%*# call right.   It's not rocket science. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I didn't see it at the time because they barely showed replays, but the other guy in the tackle lowered his helmet even worse.

Wow.  The refs missed 2 targeting call and we lost the ball and an all B1G receiver for the game.  These guys should be done in the

B1G.

Great game played by IU  As always not going to get the calls . IU  has to play mistake free game against all teams because no name recognition!  I KNOW AND THEY KNOW  IU OUT PLAYED THEM but still a loss for IU! Similar to an IU and PENN STATE   men's basketball game at IU we will get the calls.  

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What I worry about is by the time we finish these two very physical teams what will be left in the tank for Purdue.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Purdue is already running on fumes and has a good chance of getting blown out by Wisconsin and getting knocked out of bowl eligibility next week.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What I worry about is by the time we finish these two very physical teams what will be left in the tank for Purdue.

Thankfully we just had a bye week, and should still have a positive mentality with the season we've had so far.  It shouldn't be like 2 years ago when we had our bye week early on due to the hurricane in Florida.  You could tell our team was out of gas by the end of that season.  I think Allen has the team with a good mindset to keep rolling this year.

40 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Thankfully we just had a bye week, and should still have a positive mentality with the season we've had so far.  It shouldn't be like 2 years ago when we had our bye week early on due to the hurricane in Florida.  You could tell our team was out of gas by the end of that season.  I think Allen has the team with a good mindset to keep rolling this year.

Oh I’m not worried about the mind set. Just the grind of PSU and Michigan in back to back weeks that play a physical running smash mouth football and then possibility of losing two close heart breakers. No doubt we will be ready for Purdue just would rather played them while we were healthy and on a row.

3 hours ago, MPM said:

I’m disappointed in the play calling. No idea why you recruit tall receivers if you’re not going to take advantage when you have that huge advantage. I would’ve loved to see more long jump balls. Instead they opted to try and dink and dunk down the field. Guys played hard and felt like we were the better team. We can definitely beat Michigan.

i guess you could argue that penix would be better suited to take advantage of throwing deep balls to hale and westbrook but the production from those two seniors has been disappointing. i'm sure i'm not the only one who thought they were primed for big seasons. i'm not going to fault ramsey who has been nothing short of brilliant

3 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

They didnt even replay it as it should of been reviewed regardless.

nor did they review the hit ramsey took against nebraska, which was an even more blatant targeting. are they just not reviewing hits at all this year? i thought they were all about protecting players now

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

Wow.  The refs missed 2 targeting call and we lost the ball and an all B1G receiver for the game.  These guys should be done in the

B1G.

They were a mess.  They had multiple conferences trying to figure their crap out, threw at least 2 flags then waives them off.  Just a mess.  Don't recall one penalty on Penn st.  Looked it up.   1 for zero yards.  

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sorry, I don’t buy that.  DeBoer has kept defenses off balance all year.  His play calling often had Penn State bemused today. Considering PSU has a first rate program, we had them off balance. This is after nine games of tape to study and figure out our tendencies. When they were looking for a zig, we have them a zag. 

I literally give DeBoer an A plus.  He’s a fantastic coach.  

he is. we will be hard pressed to keep him after the season

3 hours ago, IU878176 said:

We are close.

Just like we were close under Wilson against UM a couple of times, against OSU, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Would be GREAT to have an actual win, rather than yet another “asterisk win”, against UM next week. I think we have a shot next week but UM seems to be getting better every week. Would have helped to play them earlier in the season.

true. michigan is looking like a runaway freight train. don't like our chances. even as nice as this season has felt, we could still go through the entire season without beating one good team. without beating an average team for that matter

3 hours ago, Andy06 said:

The only coaching decision I disagree with was the timeout and then the fake punt.  I don't think that was the intended call, but the coaches shouldn't put the team in that situation. 

Bigger issue was the lack of common sense on replay.   Philyor didn't touch the punt.   That hit that took him out was 100% targeting. 

there wasn't enough evidence to overturn whop's punt gaffe. he back peddled 10 yards only to let the ball bounce 10 yards in front of him. what the hell. a huge error. why targeting isn't being reviewed is something i don't understand

45 minutes ago, coachv said:

there wasn't enough evidence to overturn whop's punt gaffe. he back peddled 10 yards only to let the ball bounce 10 yards in front of him. what the hell. a huge error. why targeting isn't being reviewed is something i don't understand

You are right.  They weren't going to overturn the call on the field.  That's part of the problem with replay.   Get the call right or don't waste our time.   The ball rotation never changed,  he clearly didn't touch it.   I told my wife immediately they aren't going to change the call.

But Whop shouldn't have been close to the ball to begin with.

And like I said in the game thread, if that isn't targeting then they need to get rid of the rule.  That was cut and dry 100% targeting. 

7 hours ago, Andy06 said:

He shouldn't have made it close.   But it's his fault on a bang/bang play, but not the officials for screwing it up with access to replay?

Either get rid of replay or get the d%*# call right.   It's not rocket science. 

i don't think he touched it but there was no replay to prove he didn't. was an easy fair catch

Once whop, decided not to catch the punt, he should have gotten away from the ball. He knows that he just got catch in the moment. I think he considered run in scooping up the ball and taken off then at the last second changed his mine.  
How targeting wasn’t called , I don’t know. I think he was knocked out briefly. I don’t know how they miss that call. My question is. If targeting is called do we get the ball back. 
Was listening to Don Fisher for a while at half time. He talked about a obvious hold, I think on a qb scramble. After all that it really comes down to two plays. The botched punt in the beginning, and the fake punt! That’s on us. ! Obviously the fake punt was botched,because the kid acted surprised it was hiked to him. 

We’re 7/3 GO HOOSIERS! 

I don't want IU or Allen to get the reputation of crying over calls. With that said..when the Big 10 comes out and says today targeting should have been called....or this was a fumble or whatever MMQB mistakes they try to clean up I 'd like to hear Allen say thanks but no thanks. Get it right on Saturday. 

2-3 obvious calls....not bang bang calls.....changed the direction of game with either points or game ending injuries. Tired of these crews just being able to waltz in and out without any ramifications. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't want IU or Allen to get the reputation of crying over calls. With that said..when the Big 10 comes out and says today targeting should have been called....or this was a fumble or whatever MMQB mistakes they try to clean up I 'd like to hear Allen say thanks but no thanks. Get it right on Saturday. 

2-3 obvious calls....not bang bang calls.....changed the direction of game with either points or game ending injuries. Tired of these crews just being able to waltz in and out without any ramifications. 

Does the Big Ten ever review calls and reprimand refs. Can’t imagine them not reprimanding this group over the missed targeting no call. That’s dangerous 

5 hours ago, Bob said:

Does the Big Ten ever review calls and reprimand refs. Can’t imagine them not reprimanding this group over the missed targeting no call. That’s dangerous 

Can't speak to the football side of things.  But B1G did suspend "TV Teddy" from ever doing B1G BB games.  So... there is that. 

Archived