Mid western Storm Humor!

Drroogh

Not to put light of natural disasters, I know many people who have experienced huge grief from storms. A girl I used to work with lost everything last spring, House, Car everything when a tornado ripped thru Talbotton, GA, and I myself had an F2 go between my house and my neighbors.

That being said I have found great humor with some peoples reactions to what Midwesterners would consider commonplace!!

Shortly after moving to Georgia I had some people making fun of northerners saying "You can tell who the yankees are, because they'll shovel the snow from their drive when everyone else knows it will melt by noon!" Of course I countered with "if that's true, why do all of the grocery stores sell out of bread, water and milk if there is just a threat of snow in the forecast?"

My daughter texted me from southern California one time in a very Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh MY manner, that the forecast was for heavy rain with lightening and strong winds. She said all of the Californians were freaking out!

Anybody, have any other experiences with non Midwesterners reactions to heavy weather? 

Have to add, last week I had to stop at a hardware store for some anti pest materials. (mice in the south don't like winters either) I had to keep myself from laughing as I was the only one of five people in line without a stack of these in their hands. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hard-Faucet-Cover-1981/204759083 It got to 21 that night, but seriously outdoor faucets not protected from freezing?

15 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

People who have lived in the Midwest their entire lives still freak out when it snows. Get more than a dusting and half the traffic will be driving under 10MPH.

You should try driving to work down here if there is just a misting of rain. 45 MPH all the way in! Two Three years ago Atlanta came to a complete stand still when they got hit with what 4 " of snow. Worked with a guy that said it took him almost 24 hours to get home! Yeah, it is completely beyond ridiculous here!

I can remember driving 30 miles into work in MI with that much snow on the road and most roads I was the first one thru. If you are used to it not a problem but yeah I understand that people who aren't freak out. I still have to laugh.

15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Good winter snowflake rated tires will help on ice.  Add in traction control, automatic4WD and antilock brakes and driving on ice today is nothing like what it was 20 years ago. 

Back in the day we put chains on or studded tires.

Archived