The class that saved coach K

IU Scott

Did anyone else watch the show on ESPN last night about the class that saved coach K.  It was the class with Alarie, Bilas Henderson and Dawkins and without them coach K probably would have not survived as coach at Duke.  I know we have talked on here numerous times on how being patient with coaches can pay off in the long run and use coach K as an example.  This class came in on year 3 of coach K at Duke and the first two years were really bad.  This class first year was bad as well and ended with a 43 point loss to UVA in the conference tournament.  Bilas said he went out to dinner with Alarie and his girlfriends family and the father was a big booster at Duke,  This guy told the players that there were a petition to fire coach K so it was close that coach K was going to be fired.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I haven't watched a game on ESPN in about a year.  In anything. 

I'd rather just listen to Fisch call it via radio rather than watching while the obscene greasy tallow-catches they employ prattle on. 

Not me I would rather be able to see the game than listen to it.

I watched it. It had some interesting moments while also being a virtual commercial for K/Duke. I got pulled in because I was interested to hear about the recruitment of highly ranked players and  and hear what swayed them to go to Duke in spite of Duke having a losing program (at that time).

It confirmed what you have said a number of times in that K had a very poor start and was on the verge of being fired. It is also interesting, however, that the class that “saved him” was the number one ranked class in the country (i.e. he did not turn it around by developing hidden gems that became seniors).   

It remains to be seen if we hired K (by that I mean a coach that turned things around....not unrealistic/historic Coach K results) or Lickliter/Croce/Smart. I’m sure hoping we have a turn around coach.

26 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I haven't watched a game on ESPN in about a year.  In anything. 

I'd rather just listen to Fisch call it via radio rather than watching while the obscene greasy tallow-catches they employ prattle on. 

You are missing out. Not watching the Great Dan Dakich.  A legend in his own mind.  Or as he would say....."I know".   LOL

I did not watch the show.  However, there is a strong case to be made to be patient for a coach your school believes in.  And be supportive.  Tom Crean burned out, IMHO. Who knows what was going on behind the scene at the time prior to his departure.  It may have been the right decision at the time, for him to start over, again. However, in contrast,  I believe it was something like 15 years at UCLA, before John Wooden won the first of his many National Championships. Can go either way.  Crean did take us to a sweet 16.  Wooden got UCLA in the NCAAT a few times in his 15 years or so, before winning his NCAAT's.  Who's to say that would not have happened with Coach Crean ?  We don't know for sure.  However, again, IMHO. It is much too early to pull the plug on Archie, even though he is still searching for his first NCAAT as IU's HC. 

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

At this point, ESPN might as well change their call letters to D-U-K-E.   That network is unbearable IMO.  Other than the games they control, I try to avoid them for the most part.

I was watching the really interesting documentary about the history of college and professional football they aired last night.  Then they immediately segued to this Coach K documentary, and it was a race against the clock for me to find the remote before I vomited all over my living room.

Unfortunately for me, by the time I heard Jay Bilas talking about how Coach K was the only coach who made him pay for his own dinner during his recruitment, it was too late.

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

RMK had a great deal to do with K getting and then keeping the Duke job. When Knight cut ties for several years it hurt K more than most know.  It also drove him to be the best. 

This.⬆️...that classes performance helped in saving K's job..but a phone call from RMK to Dukes AD at the time also saved it.

Archived