What are your favorite ethnic style foods ?

milehiiu

Don't have to limit your self to one.

So many to choose from.  Mexican. French. Chinese. Japanese. Italian. Greek.  Polish. So many more.

Gotta say. I love most. But shy away from the ones that are mostly hot, hot hot. Like Thai. 

What about you. Hoosier Sports Nation ?

Got to say, one of the most enjoyable meals  I ever had only reinforced that Thai is one of my favorites! Open wall thatched roof resteraunt with the typical powered canoe in the river beside us in the river below in Thailand only served to prove that Thai is one of my favorites!

Another most enjoyable meals I ever had, we overnighted in Frankfort Germany. As a mission group we are walking around enjoying the city but not having much luck finding a place to eat! We see a placard for a resteraunt in the basement of a building and lacking options we went down. Nobody in the resteraunt spoke English, one of the group understood German enough to say this is a meat plate. Out came a plate piled high with the various  sausages! Every one, was better than any  I had ever had before or since!

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

So many to choose from.  Mexican. French. Chinese. Japanese. Italian. Greek.  Polish. So many more.

Gotta say. I love most. But shy away from the ones that are mostly hot, hot hot. Like Thai. 

The only one I eat is Italian

Couldn't pick one. There's good food to be found all over the globe.

One that's not seen as much but is really, really good is Bosnian. As you'd expect given the geography, it's got elements you'd see in Greek, Russian and Turkish foods. Very hearty, very rustic. Cevapi are a sausage that are somewhat similar to Greek gyro.

Big fan of German, Italian, Russian, even some British/Irish.

One that I'm not a fan of is Indian. Can't stand the flavor of curry.

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I like all sorts as well but funny you bring up Thai. There's a place along the Monon that has Thai food. Eat there often....really growing on me. Like you say....hotter the better. 

9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Couldn't pick one. There's good food to be found all over the globe.

One that's not seen as much but is really, really good is Bosnian. As you'd expect given the geography, it's got elements you'd see in Greek, Russian and Turkish foods. Very hearty, very rustic. Cevapi are a sausage that are somewhat similar to Greek gyro.

Big fan of German, Italian, Russian, even some British/Irish.

One that I'm not a fan of is Indian. Can't stand the flavor of curry.

I was absolutely with you as I have a friend from Kosovo, but when you said British?   Has to be some of the blandest food in the world!:cheers:

54 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I was absolutely with you as I have a friend from Kosovo, but when you said British?   Has to be some of the blandest food in the world!:cheers:

Can be. Then again, you can find some bland food all across America too.

Real homemade Shepherd's pie is anything but. And nobody in the world fries fish like the Brits.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

My favorites would be Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, and anything from the Mediterranean. 

Also, cajun/creole food. It should be it's own food group.  

I forgot about Cajun/creole. Right behind Korean for me. Love ravigote sauce on anything. Favorite Cajun restaurant: Parrains in Baton Rouge.

On 11/24/2019 at 11:43 AM, Drroogh said:

Must admit I had to look ravigote sauce up. Now that I have I am going to have to make some up!

Thanks!

There used to be a restaurant in Naperville, Il "Heaven on Seven" (Cajun/creole cuisine) that made a dish with grilled shrimp, andouille sausage, and white rice covered with warm ravigote. One of the best entrees I've had anywhere.

Unfortunately, they closed a couple of years back, and the one down on Wabash in downtown Chicago doesn't have the same menu.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There used to be a restaurant in Naperville, Il "Heaven on Seven" (Cajun/creole cuisine) that made a dish with grilled shrimp, andouille sausage, and white rice covered with warm ravigote. One of the best entrees I've had anywhere.

Unfortunately, they closed a couple of years back, and the one down on Wabash in downtown Chicago doesn't have the same menu.

Ton's of great Polish places in the Windy City. One great buffet. And plenty of deli's.

Thank goodness for these two in Metro Denver.

Polish Bar & Restaurant

Dinner Menu - CRACOVIA Polish-American Restaurant & Bar

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Ton's of great Polish places in the Windy City. One great buffet. And plenty of deli's.

Thank goodness for these two in Metro Denver.

Polish Bar & Restaurant

Dinner Menu - CRACOVIA Polish-American Restaurant & Bar

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever been to a strictly Polish restaurant. I think that's one I've missed. 

And looking it up in Houston, I have limited options. Polonia over in Spring Branch looks like it might be good.

Or maybe just wait until I visit my daughter in Naperville. She's always up for a new restaurant.

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever been to a strictly Polish restaurant. I think that's one I've missed. 

And looking it up in Houston, I have limited options. Polonia over in Spring Branch looks like it might be good.

Or maybe just wait until I visit my daughter in Naperville. She's always up for a new restaurant.

Place in Houston looks legit. Should you give it a try. I recommend ordering the Bigos.  Side order of Pierogies.

Archived