Perspective - A Telling Milestone

56 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It’s an almost impossible stat to look up for other teams, for the simple fact that it’s a classic cherry-picked stat to try and make a point. The “streak” can be pretty much entirely attributed to the injuries to three players: Davis, Hunter, and Thompson.  7 out of the 10 players in our rotation in 2017 didn’t miss a game.  In 2018, Green missed 4 games, Phinisee missed 3 games, and Durham missed 1 game.  Almost every team in college basketball has those kinds of minor injuries crop up throughout the season.  

But as an example, take MSU last year.  They’ve been without Josh Langford for an entire calendar year.  They went 4-1 down the stretch of the regular season while Nick Ward sat out a month after getting hand surgery, and they made the Final Four with Kyle Ahrens missing the entire tournament.  Those injuries were just as serious as anything we’ve dealt with over the last two seasons.

One huge difference between MSU and IU last season was that every player that Izzo had at his disposal was someone that he recruited.  They naturally fit into his system.  Meanwhile, more than half of the roster Archie had (Morgan, Davis, Green Smith, Durham, Moore, and McRoberts), were Crean guys.  You have to admit that makes a difference.   

It seems to me that in one corner who can see that injuries was part of the reason for the bad season.  These people are ones who want to wait and see on Archie and have not made a judgment if he is the right coach.  In the other corner are the people who don't want to even look at the injuries and think they are just an excuse. to me most of those people who are on the side of that Archie is not the right guy for the job and don't want o give him the benefit of the doubt.

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

As reported by Osterman of the Star, with Rob available against UCONN, that was the first game since Jan 2, 2018 that we have had all scholarship players available.

Think about that a minute, how many games is that?

Concussions, injuries, medical conditions, illnesses, suspensions, it’s just crazy how long that has lasted. 

Now — assuming we finally stay healthy — we’ll finally get to see what a full strength IU squad under CAM can do. 

Didn't read beyond this yet.  The headline should be all players dressed ready to play.  Hunter is probably a full year away from being healthy or have proper lower body strength.  Rob and Green are still playing through injuries.

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It seems to me that in one corner who can see that injuries was part of the reason for the bad season.  These people are ones who want to wait and see on Archie and have not made a judgment if he is the right coach.  In the other corner are the people who don't want to even look at the injuries and think they are just an excuse. to me most of those people who are on the side of that Archie is not the right guy for the job and don't want o give him the benefit of the doubt.

Seems to me both camps are correct if we're using MSU as the yard stick:

A.  CAM is HOF coach in the making.  Swept MSU last season despite myriad of injuries to key personnel and not close to having recruited players for his system in only his 2nd season

B.  CAM is the latest coaching failure.  Swept MSU last season.  Obviously had the talent but couldn't coach them consistently.  Lost program control during 12 game losing streak.  Lost in            

the inferior NIT.  

IMHO we aren't even close to knowing how CAM will do as our coach.  I'm only a fan, not a coach.  However, a blind man can confirm that the team is progressing overall.  Recruiting is better and we are getting interest from Indiana kids again.  The current players are progressing and playing better in the system CAM desires to play.  DEFENSE is actually being emphasized and being played again.  Offense is progressing.  IU doesn't have any fake classes for the players to attend.  To my knowledge, we haven't used hookers to attract players. The players we are recruiting seem to be of great character.  IU doesn't appear to be a target of the FBI or NCAA so there is no evidence we are playing in the gray zones of recruiting.  What exactly are we missing?

So the only complaint seems to be we aren't progressing fast enough so let's burn the place down and start all over again.  This is PRECISELY what RMK warned us about when CAM was hired.  Would the fan base give CAM the time he needed to build the program?  Well I grew up on IUBB during the RMK days.  In my lifetime, I don't know if ANYONE knows more about coaching the game than RMK.  RMK stated his approval when CAM was hired.   No won who knows RMK would ever accuse him of pumping sunshine.  If RMK was all for CAM then that's the only recommendation I need.  I'm weary of all the fire CAM calls.  He gets 5yrs from me before I begin down that road. 

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It’s an almost impossible stat to look up for other teams, for the simple fact that it’s a classic cherry-picked stat to try and make a point. The “streak” can be pretty much entirely attributed to the injuries to three players: Davis, Hunter, and Thompson.  7 out of the 10 players in our rotation in 2017 didn’t miss a game.  In 2018, Green missed 4 games, Phinisee missed 3 games, and Durham missed 1 game.  Almost every team in college basketball has those kinds of minor injuries crop up throughout the season.  

But as an example, take MSU last year.  They’ve been without Josh Langford for an entire calendar year.  They went 4-1 down the stretch of the regular season while Nick Ward sat out a month after getting hand surgery, and they made the Final Four with Kyle Ahrens missing the entire tournament.  Those injuries were just as serious as anything we’ve dealt with over the last two seasons.

With you, only to a point. 

We started the season with a key wing, Hunter, out for the season. Our star recruit, Romeo, played most of the year with a torn ligament in his shoooting hand, obviously significantly affected his shooting. Davis, injured. The streak then coincided with a bad concussion to our starting point in Rob, whose production obviously didn’t come back when he finally played again, and meanwhile our starting 2-guard in Green went through suspension.

You still think that’s mirrored in any other team? It’s just not. Yes other teams have guys injured, of course, and yes our situation with not even 1 game with all scholarship players available and repeat and continuing injuries and medical conditions and suspensions to all of our best players is pretty obviously unique. To say otherwise is to pretend for the sake of crying foul. 

As I  said earlier, no problem with taking the position we should’ve won anyway (though I disagree with that position), but to pretend the slew of significant injuries we went through and all the other crap didn’t have a (predictable) impact? Ok 

3 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

A.  CAM is HOF coach in the making.  Swept MSU last season despite myriad of injuries to key personnel and not close to having recruited players for his system in only his 2nd season

B.  CAM is the latest coaching failure.  Swept MSU last season.  Obviously had the talent but couldn't coach them consistently.  Lost program control during 12 game losing streak.  Lost in            

the inferior NIT.  

IMHO we aren't even close to knowing how CAM will do as our coach.  I'm only a fan, not a coach.  However, a blind man can confirm that the team is progressing overall.  Recruiting is better and we are getting interest from Indiana kids again.  The current players are progressing and playing better in the system CAM desires to play.  DEFENSE is actually being emphasized and being played again.  Offense is progressing.  IU doesn't have any fake classes for the players to attend.  To my knowledge, we haven't used hookers to attract players. The players we are recruiting seem to be of great character.  IU doesn't appear to be a target of the FBI or NCAA so there is no evidence we are playing in the gray zones of recruiting.  What exactly are we missing?

So the only complaint seems to be we aren't progressing fast enough so let's burn the place down and start all over again.  This is PRECISELY what RMK warned us about when CAM was hired.  Would the fan base give CAM the time he needed to build the program?  Well I grew up on IUBB during the RMK days.  In my lifetime, I don't know if ANYONE knows more about coaching the game than RMK.  RMK stated his approval when CAM was hired.   No won who knows RMK would ever accuse him of pumping sunshine.  If RMK was all for CAM then that's the only recommendation I need.  I'm weary of all the fire CAM calls.  He gets 5yrs from me before I begin down that road. 

Great post

3 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

the inferior NIT.  

“Wolverines!”

Archived