Nebraska is not too bad....

12 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Wofford won today too.  I remember them winning at Mackey some years back too when Purdue was supposed to be good.

Wofford has evolved into a decent mid-major program. 5 tournament appearances in the last 10 years, and won 30 games for the first time last year.

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

After the Nebraska game I saw the post 

“Yeah we’re not very good.”

i guess OSU isn’t very good, I guess Minny is great. I guess PU isn’t very good —Well, 1 out of 3 anyway 😁

See, and this is why they play the games. I came away from the game not feeling great about the way we played, especially on defense. However, there were, and always are, a myriad of factors that contribute to an outcome. Sports don’t tend to follow a script in general. At times there are truly dominant teams and things are more predictable. Our fan base badly wants us to be superior, year in and year out. I want that, too. However, we aren’t yet and until then, sometimes specific matchups, short turnarounds, big nights from opposing players, well coached and inspired efforts from opposing teams will lead to close games and losses along the way. 

If we knew we were gonna win every game, would it stay interesting for very long?

54 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

No B10 team has won on the road in conference play so far !! Pee yew got clobbered on the road last night ! (LMAO )

Interesting take you have there htd.  All along, I have been thinking no B1G team has lost a home conference game. But we both agree as to what happened to Purdue.

I still don’t feel great about the performance Friday. Yes, Nebraska is better than we thought (though even that is kind of puzzling), but IU should still handle them much better at home. I do take into account the quick turnaround and tough travel conditions for IU, but it still took Archie way to long to adjust to the way Nebraska was defending IU and the defensive effort (though possibly impacted by tired legs) was not good. 

As a good team, you’d just hope to win that game going away at home. On the road, sure any win is a good win, but IU should be better at home. 

I didn't watch the NU/PU game and just saw the results.  Admittedly I was surprised, but that was based only on seeing 1 NU game (against us).  I was unsure about Hoiberg, but right now he's looking like a great hire for them.  He's made over their roster in only a few months and got them playing at a very good level.  It's the kind of turn around we hoped we might see when Archie took over, albeit an unreasonable one (especially given the rumors that he was given restrictions on roster/recruiting changes). 

That Mack kid was eating us up and it's a bit gratifying to see it not be a case of an unknown stepping out of the shadows to have a career game against us, only to disappear back into obscurity after torching us.

I saw one of the post-NU game pressers with CAM and he made the point that in the two B10 games thus far our defense was "shredded".  For him to phrase it like that was refreshing - no sugar coating, or deflecting (pun intended).  Our "D" was pretty good against FSU, so it's kind of a head scratcher.  Maybe the B10 is far better than predicted this year, IDK.  Whatever the case we're 10-1 and still in the conference logjam early in the season.  Hopefully we can work on things and with Rob healthy, begin to develop cohesion and an identity.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

No doubt. I just hope our fans allow this team a little breathing room. We will have our ups and downs but as long as we keep our head above water we should be where we want to be come March.

You know there are part of this fan base that will never give this team room to breath.  They will be here after every loss complaining and telling us that Archie is not the guy for the job.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You know there are part of this fan base that will never give this team room to breath.  They will be here after every loss complaining and telling us that Archie is not the guy for the job.

Yep, and you don't even need to see who posted it. You can tell who it is by the negative tone. Same thing every game.

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I didn't watch the NU/PU game and just saw the results.  Admittedly I was surprised, but that was based only on seeing 1 NU game (against us).  I was unsure about Hoiberg, but right now he's looking like a great hire for them.  He's made over their roster in only a few months and got them playing at a very good level.  It's the kind of turn around we hoped we might see when Archie took over, albeit an unreasonable one (especially given the rumors that he was given restrictions on roster/recruiting changes). 

That Mack kid was eating us up and it's a bit gratifying to see it not be a case of an unknown stepping out of the shadows to have a career game against us, only to disappear back into obscurity after torching us.

I saw one of the post-NU game pressers with CAM and he made the point that in the two B10 games thus far our defense was "shredded".  For him to phrase it like that was refreshing - no sugar coating, or deflecting (pun intended).  Our "D" was pretty good against FSU, so it's kind of a head scratcher.  Maybe the B10 is far better than predicted this year, IDK.  Whatever the case we're 10-1 and still in the conference logjam early in the season.  Hopefully we can work on things and with Rob healthy, begin to develop cohesion and an identity.

The defensive breakdowns are a bit of a headscratcher, but for me I continue to see it as flowing, at least partly, from our running the 3-big lineups. That causes us to lack the quickness and mobility needed to defend against higher level D1 teams, teams with D1 wings and mobile forwards. 

Archived