Rotation

Vincent14

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Some of you guys must watch a different game than I do.  Anyone that does not currently have Damezi in the preferred rotation please explain to me why.

Now, on the broader issue.  This is why you don't use all 13 schollies.  There simply not enough minutes in a game.  Use that 13th scholly on a Sr. walk on who will help the team's APR.

As a sort of side comment, Demez had to work his way into the rotation. He did that with playing time.

Coming in from his frosh season, he was lost on D, he had not adjusted to the speed of the college game, he was out of position often, a number of people did not consider him as a player meriting real floor time. And look at him now. That's kind of the point here.

Part of the problem with depth though is it's not all the same. Sometimes depth is because you do actually have a deep team of skilled, talented players. But other times, depth is because not many guys on the team have separated themselves. 

I think there is a little bit of both happening with IU. I do think that the De'Ron Davis experiment should probably be over. I really, really like the kid and I do believe he can provide value in certain situations, but the injuries have just really set him back, and I don't think playing him at the expense of going small more often or the expense of seeing what Race can do with more consistent time is worth it. 

Same with Hunter and Anderson. I really like both kids, I really do. But, while Anderson has been more consistent, one thing holding IU back a bit is that neither has really separated themselves or forces Archie to choose one. Instead they share minutes and neither really has gotten into a defined role or flow. Again, this is one where going smaller could help. 

Phinisee

Durham

Anderson

Smith

TJD

Bench:

Green for Phinisee

Franklin for Durham

Hunter for Smith

Brunk for TJD

Thompson for Anderson (sliding Hunter to the wing and Race at the 4)

Then when you bring TJD back in, you play him and Race a few minutes together

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Some of you guys must watch a different game than I do.  Anyone that does not currently have Damezi in the preferred rotation please explain to me why.

Now, on the broader issue.  This is why you don't use all 13 schollies.  There simply not enough minutes in a game.  Use that 13th scholly on a Sr. walk on who will help the team's APR.

Agree completely. Heck, I have him starting. I'm not completely sold on that yet, but I desperately want a smaller lineup, but also don't think we should necessarily start all 3 of Phinisee, Green and Durham, so I had to move Anderson into my starting lineup based on his play. 

But yes, anyone not have Anderson in their rotation is watching different games than I am. 

I understand why coaches uses more players today and it is because they are afraid that the players will leave.  The kids are just no patient and wait  their turn in the rotation.  It was easier to stay old back in the day because kids would be willing to wait a year or two and then by their junior year they were in the rotation.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I understand why coaches uses more players today and it is because they are afraid that the players will leave.  The kids are just no patient and wait  their turn in the rotation.  It was easier to stay old back in the day because kids would be willing to wait a year or two and then by their junior year they were in the rotation.

I'm getting in HH's corner: come on.

There's plenty of reasons why that don't involve that. I know it's not the way things used to be, but it used to be accepted that the earth was made up of four elements. But we've discovered that maybe that wasn't the correct outlook, and we've moved on to the way things are. Maybe it's not the way we're used to, and maybe it's not as simple as it used to be, and maybe we don't like it, but it's the way it is.

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm getting in HH's corner: come on.

There's plenty of reasons why that don't involve that. I know it's not the way things used to be, but it used to be accepted that the earth was made up of four elements. But we've discovered that maybe that wasn't the correct outlook, and we've moved on to the way things are. Maybe it's not the way we're used to, and maybe it's not as simple as it used to be, and maybe we don't like it, but it's the way it is.

My main point when it comes to subbing is don't make whole sale changes when things are going well.  There was no need to sub in 4 new guys after 3:30 minutes of the game when NEB. called the timeout.  also in my opinion if you use more than 9 players it is just harder for players to get into a good rhythm and flow of the game.

Just now, IU Scott said:

There was no need to sub in 4 new guys after 3:30 minutes of the game when NEB. called the timeout. 

I just gave you one perfectly valid reason: travel/rest time.  If you're fairly certain that endurance is going to be an issue, why run kids into the ground? You might be right, maybe we get up by 15 and they go away.  Or maybe we get up 15 and they erode the lead to 7 by half.  Then in the 2nd half, your starters are maybe just a half step slower than they would have been...and maybe that winds up being the difference. 

I am not a fan of wholesale substitutions during game play.  Barring injury or unexpected foul trouble, subbing in 1 player at a time every 3 minutes or so gives people rest, but at the same time allows them the opportunity to get into the flow of the game.  

In a 9 player rotation with no substitutions made for foul trouble, you have key guys playing 12-15 consecutive minutes per half.

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree completely. Heck, I have him starting. I'm not completely sold on that yet, but I desperately want a smaller lineup, but also don't think we should necessarily start all 3 of Phinisee, Green and Durham, so I had to move Anderson into my starting lineup based on his play. 

But yes, anyone not have Anderson in their rotation is watching different games than I am. 

Mostly agree with your outlook, but would have Green starting (if/when healthy), with Rob as the primary ball handler / running point. Green's our best outside shooter and imo with Rob gives us the best chance to have the floor spread and hitting more shots from deep, along with good D, which Green usually brings. Demez hasn't hit very well consistently from deep so far, though he is a shooter and it's likely more about rhythm and time.

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Mostly agree with your outlook, but would have Green starting (if/when healthy), with Rob as the primary ball handler / running point. Green's our best outside shooter and imo with Rob gives us the best chance to have the floor spread and hitting more shots from deep, along with good D, which Green usually brings. Demez hasn't hit very well consistently from deep so far, though he is a shooter and it's likely more about rhythm and time.

I waffled back and forth on that. First time I typed it I had Phinsee, Green and Durham. I switched it to balance things a bit better and provide some veteran leadership off the bench especially since Green has thrived there. I'm not married to either one. 

I don't care how many players are in the rotation if their roles are defined.  I'd like to see Rob play over 30 minutes a game and  to play Fraanklin as the PG when he sits.  Al and DG seem to thrive when when they concentrate on scoring only and less so when they concentrate on running the team as PGs. Having DG, Al, DA, and Hunter playing the 2 and 3 most all of the time would be my preference however the minutes are split. I expect that Hunter will eventually find his shooting stroke and may be hard to keep off the court if/when that happens.  He is starting to look comfortable in the other aspects of playing college ball. 

Archived