Geronimo

Correct, it all starts with Kindergarten.  I.E, I turned 5 Aug 29 and the cutoff was Sept 1, 2 days later so I was the youngest to graduate in my class at 17.  For me, it meant being just avg in all 3 sports I played vs being a top player if I waited to enroll one yr later.  Just one yr at that age makes ALL the difference due to growth, maturity and biggest of all CONFIDENCE.  This is bigger than most parents want to believe and could be a difference in getting a scholarship.  It wasn’t meant for me but kids with an actual shot a something should really look at holding their kid back.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Different states have different rules on the birthday cutoff for first grade. I started school in Nh was always a year younger than my IN classmates. TX’s rules differ as well. And here in TX parents hold their kids back a year so they’re bigger for football, lol

And for some, there isn't a hard "cut". My son's birthday is in July, and the way Kentucky has it set up, they give the parents the option. We could. Have started him just after he turned 5, making him one of the youngest in his class. Or, what we wound up doing, started him just after he turned 6, making him one of the oldest in his class.

Funny you mention the football thing. Our district actually doesn't have football, but one of the middle school coaches from the other district in the county already told me he's going to recruit him. I guess being a 4'6" 2nd grader that's built like a brick $#&+house will do that. He actually thought he was in 4th or 5th grade. 😂

7 hours ago, coachv said:

he with the cannon arm in center field for my reds. haven't watched a game since 1994 when the players went on strike and never finished the season. bitter that way

Ha!  I could have written this post.  Grew up with the Big Red Machine, but completely walked away from the game  due to that strike (that was the second one, the first being in the early 80's when they split the season in two halves and the Reds missed the playoffs despite having the best record for the entire season).

Back on topic, it's looking possible that JG may be a diamond in the rough.

17 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Ha!  I could have written this post.  Grew up with the Big Red Machine, but completely walked away from the game  due to that strike (that was the second one, the first being in the early 80's when they split the season in two halves and the Reds missed the playoffs despite having the best record for the entire season).

Back on topic, it's looking possible that JG may be a diamond in the rough.

i also grew up with the big red machine. went to several games at crosley in my youth. particularly double headers. juicing up the ball and steroids also rendered hitting records and milestones meaningless so that further pushed me away. haven't watched so much as a highlight since 1994 and i was a true baseball junkie

Archived