Geronimo

40 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Really hope he can pop at the midrange too! Kid definitely has athleticism, but so did Troy, Hanner, Noah and so on. 

None of those guys are going to be in the HOF....but one of these things is not like the others.  2 of these guys have been in NBA2k while the other one has only played it.

I get the point you're trying to make, but if Geronimo ends up being good enough to play in the NBA, I would consider that exeding expectations.

9 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

None of those guys are going to be in the HOF....but one of these things is not like the others.  2 of these guys have been in NBA2k while the other one has only played it.

I get the point you're trying to make, but if Geronimo ends up being good enough to play in the NBA, I would consider that exeding expectations.

I had the same reaction - Troy was really raw with athleticism coming in but really grew his game. Noah was dominant from the start but was all about himself and is one of the few very good IU players that few care for, because of his putting his own interest first — he was still very good though, just had no shooters around him. 

By all accounts Geronimo is a real team player who brings it in both ends of the floor, and is already developing his outside game.

Can’t really compare him to any former Hoosier as haven’t seen him play live, but posted earlier that one of my friends who watched Vic at DeMatha and is plugged in texted me to say we’re really going to like this kid and he’s better than Vic at this stage. 

That is high praise. He told me from the start, when Vic was at DeMatha, that he was very underrated and that he was going to be a really good college player 

6 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Keep in mind that he is 17 or maybe just turned 18...young for his class...still more time to grow and develop...would have been nice to have him and Cross,but it just wasnt going to play out that way

I’m just curious how that is young for his class? I turned 18, December of my senior year in high school. Isn’t it normal for kids to generally be 17 at the start of their senior year and turn 18 sometime prior to graduation?

2 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I’m just curious how that is young for his class? I turned 18 December of my senior year in high school. Isn’t it normal for kids to generally be 17 at the start of their senior year and turn 18 sometime prior to graduation?

I was 16 at the beginning of my senior year. Turned 18 my freshman year at IU.

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I wonder if I'll be the only oldster that at some point calls him Cesar Geronimo?

he with the cannon arm in center field for my reds. haven't watched a game since 1994 when the players went on strike and never finished the season. bitter that way

13 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

https://twitter.com/JeffRabjohns/status/1208209229917626375?s=19

Kid can really get up! Looking forward to seeing this next season 

wow. the top of his head was even with the rim. that's gotta be at least a 40" vertical. in a controlled test, he should easily add a few more inches to that. might give justin a run for his money. what was smith's measured vertical again? 46"?

2 hours ago, zerawkid said:

I’m just curious how that is young for his class? I turned 18, December of my senior year in high school. Isn’t it normal for kids to generally be 17 at the start of their senior year and turn 18 sometime prior to graduation?

I graduated with kids that were 17 years old..one of my best Friends growing up was 17 when we graduated ...im about 10 months older then him...i would consider him younger for your class

He's a little bigger than Vic which may help him with finishing early in his career...Vic actually really struggle to finish well his freshman year...He then finished better sophomore year but struggled a bit to shoot, put it all together as a Junior

That dunk by Geronimo is higher than I think I've even seen Vic or Williams get...We don't have an athlete like that on the team right now

7 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

He's a little bigger than Vic which may help him with finishing early in his career...Vic actually really struggle to finish well his freshman year...He then finished better sophomore year but struggled a bit to shoot, put it all together as a Junior

That dunk by Geronimo is higher than I think I've even seen Vic or Williams get...We don't have an athlete like that on the team right now

I agree, he effortlessly puts his head at the rim

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I turned 18 a week after graduatuon.  Was one of the 5 youngest in the class.  

"Beginning in the 2019-20 school year, kids who turn 5 on or before Sept. 1 of the school year will be eligible to start kindergarten"  

Right, and sorry, the only reason I am hammering this one home is because, generally-speaking, there are black and white rules that ensure that the vast majority of kids enter senior year at the age of 17 and graduate at 18. 

To the point of the quoted text above:

K - 5-6 years old

1st - 6-7 years old

2nd - 7-8

3rd - 8-9

4th - 9-10

5th - 10-11

6th - 11-12

7th - 12-13

8th - 13-14

9th - 14-15

10th - 15-16

11th - 16-17

12th - 17-18

Of course there are exceptions: kids whose birthdays are close to the cut off and/or advanced in their development, or in the other direction, a little slower and held back. Parents are successful often when wanting to get their kids enrolled early. However, the initial point I questioned was that Geronimo, currentmy a senior, being 17 or perhaps having just turned 18, smack dab in the middle of the school year, cannot be considered young for his class. 

Rarely do we come across a matter that simply can’t be argued reasonably away from the truth.

14 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Right, and sorry, the only reason I am hammering this one home is because, generally-speaking, there are black and white rules that ensure that the vast majority of kids enter senior year at the age of 17 and graduate at 18. 

To the point of the quoted text above:

K - 5-6 years old

1st - 6-7 years old

2nd - 7-8

3rd - 8-9

4th - 9-10

5th - 10-11

6th - 11-12

7th - 12-13

8th - 13-14

9th - 14-15

10th - 15-16

11th - 16-17

12th - 17-18

Of course there are exceptions: kids whose birthdays are close to the cut off and/or advanced in their development, or in the other direction, a little slower and held back. Parents are successful often when wanting to get their kids enrolled early. However, the initial point I questioned was that Geronimo, currentmy a senior, being 17 or perhaps having just turned 18, smack dab in the middle of the school year, cannot be considered young for his class. 

Rarely do we come across a matter that simply can’t be argued reasonably away from the truth.

Different states have different rules on the birthday cutoff for first grade. I started school in Nh was always a year younger than my IN classmates. TX’s rules differ as well. And here in TX parents hold their kids back a year so they’re bigger for football, lol

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Different states have different rules on the birthday cutoff for first grade. I started school in Nh was always a year younger than my IN classmates. TX’s rules differ as well. And here in TX parents hold their kids back a year so they’re bigger for football, lol

Fair, your point is well taken, and I know there are some exceptions, but, generally speaking, the VAST majority of kids schooled in America follow the timeline ascribed above. 

Most states present a cutoff for birthdates for kids entering kindergarten. Exceptions are made for far ranging reasons, but the general age structure per year is consistent. 

Archived