Homecourt

OLDIUFAN

One thing that has really seemed to go backwards is our homecourt advantage. Indiana used to be a place other teams didn’t want to play. Over the years it doesn’t seem to bother anyone. Even your own team. How can an Indiana team come into our gym and perform like it did the second half. 

I am old enough to remember even our down years the team played with pride an a toughness to make it hard for the other team to win at our house. 
These last five years are so not so much. The opposing team hit a few threes make a small run on us and we quit! Run to the bench Mommy, mommy, these guys are mean! Hey if Adam Schiff can  embellish so can I 😂😂

I said in either the game thread or the post-game thread.  I was at the game last night.  It was a big crowd, and one that came to it's feet multiple times during the game.  Each and every time, it seemed like the Arkansas players were more motivated by the crowd noise than the IU players.  Multiple times Archie waved his arms to get the crowd going, but not once did a player do that.  This team does seem to lack an emotional leader, and it would be a huge benefit if we had one.  

11 minutes ago, Bob said:

I am old enough to remember even our down years the team played with pride an a toughness to make it hard for the other team to win at our house. 
These last five years are so not so much. The opposing team hit a few threes make a small run on us and we quit! Run to the bench Mommy, mommy, these guys are mean! Hey if Adam Schiff can  embellish so can I 😂😂

I was fortunate to have lower level seats when Michigan came to town during Knights last year!! The look on the Michigan players faces when they came out on the court was priceless! We scored over a hundred and easily won!! We no longer have that advantage and that sucks!!

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I said in either the game thread or the post-game thread.  I was at the game last night.  It was a big crowd, and one that came to it's feet multiple times during the game.  Each and every time, it seemed like the Arkansas players were more motivated by the crowd noise than the IU players.  Multiple times Archie waved his arms to get the crowd going, but not once did a player do that.  This team does seem to lack an emotional leader, and it would be a huge benefit if we had one.  

That is terrible, how sad. How as an athlete of their level do you not get pumped up when your home crowd gets fired up. I don’t believe You can coach that into a player. I think the mistake is not recruiting the type of player who can elevate his game when he needs to. 
Unlike the football team. Even when we were 5/7 the last two years. You could see us getting better. Unless I am wrong, another year same problems. I really think our biggest problem is basketball IQ. No urgency to take care of the ball , an work it for a good shot. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

One thing that has really seemed to go backwards is our homecourt advantage. Indiana used to be a place other teams didn’t want to play. Over the years it doesn’t seem to bother anyone. Even your own team. How can an Indiana team come into our gym and perform like it did the second half. 

We are nothing like we once were  in passion or in toughness. My excitement is nothing like it once was not even close. Iu is a shell of itself and may never ever return. Too many bad hires and bad decisions.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

That is terrible, how sad. How as an athlete of their level do you not get pumped up when your home crowd gets fired up. I don’t believe You can coach that into a player. I think the mistake is not recruiting the type of player who can elevate his game when he needs to. 
Unlike the football team. Even when we were 5/7 the last two years. You could see us getting better. Unless I am wrong, another year same problems. I really think our biggest problem is basketball IQ. No urgency to take care of the ball , an work it for a good shot. 

DG might have the lowest basketball IQ of any player I've ever seen wear the candy stripes.  He's also our captain.  That's a problem.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I noticed that...the crowd was begging for a defensive stop 2 or 3 times in the second half when we were trying to build on the lead, and there was no player response...none...

Baffling...

Well back in the day we had two automatic wins in NW and UW whenever they cam to town.  Also back then since IU had way more talent than most of the other 9 teams in the league it made it easier.  Now the talent level from the top to the bottom are so much smaller there is less gimme games.  Also with these kids going around the country playing AAU ball or going to these basketball factories they are not intimidated by much any longer.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I can’t really speak to perceived lack of fight or moxey or whatever, but I do think it would help to have real extrovert motivator like a Bryant, a Vic. Have heard about the Geronimo kid having some of that but haven’t seen him play live. 

To me it sound like Hunter played with an edge in high school and even was tossed from a game which probably is not ideal but it shows passion.  It also sounds like Galloway has some of that in him as well.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it sound like Hunter played with an edge in high school and even was tossed from a game which probably is not ideal but it shows passion.  It also sounds like Galloway has some of that in him as well.

One of these days Hunter is going to get his full game back. I’m looking forward to that whenever it may be 

Decided to take a look at our home record over the past 10 seasons:

2010: 12-6 (.667)

2011: 18-1 (.947)

2012: 17-2 (.895)

2013: 14-4 (.778)

2014: 15-4 (.789)

2015: 17-0 (1.00)

2016: 14-4 (.778)

2017: 12-6 (.667)

2018: 15-6 (.714) (13-5 (.722) regular season)

2019: 9-1 (.900) with 9 home games left

Here’s hoping we can get the home losses back under 5 again.

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well back in the day we had two automatic wins in NW and UW whenever they cam to town.  Also back then since IU had way more talent than most of the other 9 teams in the league it made it easier.  Now the talent level from the top to the bottom are so much smaller there is less gimme games.  Also with these kids going around the country playing AAU ball or going to these basketball factories they are not intimidated by much any longer.

strong disagree

Culture shift. Miller gets it. He has started on the foundation. There are some pieces already in place thanks to him. Then, there are still some inherited circumstantial void fillers that with the current administrative backing, will pass only over time. Yes, the ones claiming to have their big boy, adult decision making pants on. 

IU over the years, has given birth to many top flight professionals very well capable of maintaining and even strengthening the identity attached to the brand. One of them is Chris Reynolds.

Oops. Wrong thread 🤷‍♂️ 

The powers that be don’t want IU basketball to be what it was. They don’t want anything to do with the Knight era. Until we have somebody in a position of power that embraces the past we  will be what we’ve been the last 20 years. I still have hope for, Archie, but I’m not sure how good he is now. The team that made me fall in love in love with IU was the 91-92 team and I was 7. I have watched the decline of the program and  I put a lot of the blame on the powers that be. I miss the IU I grew up with 

4 hours ago, Bob said:

No politics please.🙂

1 hour ago, Hoosier83 said:

The powers that be don’t want IU basketball to be what it was. They don’t want anything to do with the Knight era. Until we have somebody in a position of power that embraces the past we  will be what we’ve been the last 20 years. I still have hope for, Archie, but I’m not sure how good he is now. The team that made me fall in love in love with IU was the 91-92 team and I was 7. I have watched the decline of the program and  I put a lot of the blame on the powers that be. I miss the IU grew up with 

You’re exactly right with this.  IU wasn’t known for academics back then, it was known for its basketball coach and its basketball team.  The new bloods can’t stand the thought of that.  Only thing they have to realize is when IU basketball is good it brings in even more $$$$.  Win win for both.  Let’s hope we can get Chris Reynolds as our AD and start this thing in the right direction.

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

Culture shift. Miller gets it. He has started on the foundation. There are some pieces already in place thanks to him. Then, there are still some inherited circumstantial void fillers that with the current administrative backing, will pass only over time. Yes, the ones claiming to have their big boy, adult decision making pants on. 

IU over the years, has given birth to many top flight professionals very well capable of maintaining and even strengthening the identity attached to the brand. One of them is Chris Reynolds.

Oops. Wrong thread 🤷‍♂️ 

Just what are you seeing on the court that says the culture is changing?  I'm not seeing results. I'm not really seeing anything that says this is going the right direction. So what am I missing in all seriousness?

Archived