2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching how Joey Votto has fallen off the last couple of years makes you realize franchises like the reds give these long tern deals.  Gave him a 10 year 250 mil deal when Votto is 29 is a mistake that franchises can't make.  St. Louis was Smart to let Pujols leave and not give him that long of a contract.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep...and in a couple of hours he'll be done. 

He is on the air as we speak apologizing for it and he is going off the air and Jim Day is replacing him.  It was in a middle of the at bat and Castellanos hit a homerun and it was very weird

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He is on the air as we speak apologizing for it and he is going off the air and Jim Day is replacing him.  It was in a middle of the at bat and Castellanos hit a homerun and it was very weird

Not to keep saying the same thing over and over but he's done. Hope he saved his $. His career in broadcasting is over with that comment. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I never liked him but you hate to see someone's career end this way

I'm indifferent on him. Don't care either way. In this world you have to assume the camera is on you or the mic is on you for the last 20 years.

First though. His comments are so back a-- I don't want to suggest anyone being  ok with those comments because they were made off air. Secondly though....his saying those comments so freely says plenty about him and whoever he rolls with. You'd have to be so idiotic or so unaware....Reds probably would be better off without him.

It's not like the Reds have the greatest reps in the world in terms of past history. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm indifferent on him. Don't care either way. In this world you have to assume the camera is on you or the mic is on you for the last 20 years.

First though. His comments are so back a-- I don't want to suggest anyone being  ok with those comments because they were made off air. Secondly though....his saying those comments so freely says plenty about him and whoever he rolls with. You'd have to be so idiotic or so unaware....Reds probably would be better off without him.

It's not like the Reds have the greatest reps in the world in terms of past history. 

See how times has changed because the word that will get him fired I think was used on the Archie Bunker show.  I am trying to justify it at all and he should be fired but just shows that you have to be so careful you have to be  in todays politically correct era.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

See how times has changed because the word that will get him fired I think was used on the Archie Bunker show.  I am trying to justify it at all and he should be fired but just shows that you have to be so careful you have to be  in todays politically correct era.

Not sure which way this conversation is going. His words were offensive, dumb, and completely out of touch with anything that resembles decency.  Saying that someone has to be careful about their homophobic slurs says much about the person saying it as well as the people hiding those who say it. I'm out on this conversation. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Not sure which way this conversation is going. His words were offensive, dumb, and completely out of touch with anything that resembles decency.  Saying that someone has to be careful about their homophobic slurs says much about the person saying it as well as the people hiding those who say it. I'm out on this conversation. 

Did not say it was alright to say it but just that it was a word that use to be on network TV

No way he works in broadcasting again, at least not in a high profile position.  Maybe for small-time college athletics.

One thing that stands out to me is that it's just not what he said, but HOW he said it.  It's clear he was not simply repeating something someone else said as a way of sharing information.  The tone/inflection he used as he said it clearly indicates how he truly feels.   

Finally a day off for the Cubs. Need one before White Sox this weekend. I expect when (or if) Bryant returns he goes to the 2 hole and Happ remains our leadoff guy for rest of year. I'm not a Happ guy or fan but kudos to him. Ross has taken the pressure off of him by saying he's the CF each day and in turn is playing his best baseball as a Cub.

I don't know if it's being stubborn or what....but Baez will need to change something soon. He's probably going to see low and away 75% of the pitches and he continues to swing and miss. .189 average...

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Since you brought it up I will add. If Thom was not a straight, white, male does he still lose his job?

yep... I just want some uniformity across the board. 

I will reiterate again, I believe 100% Thom should lose his job, let's just make sure we aren't being hypocrites with these decisions. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I will reiterate again, I believe 100% Thom should lose his job, let's just make sure we aren't being hypocrites with these decisions. 

Agree...equal means equal, not only in freedom of speech/expression, but in the consequences for ill-spoken words.

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not to derail too.much and not to be controversial but just making a statement about where our society is today. Not saying it's good or bad just different.  A man will lose his job and probably never work that industry again for making a very inappropriate comment on air, thousands of people across this country are looting and destroying property both private and public and are heralded by many. Very few have lost jobs due to these illegal activities.  Once again just a statement.

Archived