Maryland post game

rico

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Probably a good thing that I missed most of this game going to my great nephews first birthday party.  When I got into the car I think were down 8 at 46-38 and when  started watching ti was when Maryland started their run.  I have been hopeful that this season was going to be a lot better and thought the players would have gotten better from last year.  I am coming to the conclusion that this is just not a good team and they need to make drastic changes to the lineup.

Until Archi starts getting better shooters and players with higher basketball IQ this is what we will keep seeing.  It is time for Archie to have a come to Jesus meeting with these players and see who actually wants to play basketball for IU.  These players just don't seem to fit as a team and you can tell they don't have great chemistry on the court.  I know there is nothing we can do about the roster right now but after the season this roster needs an overhaul.

It's going to be up to the next coach- Archie Miller will not be at IU next season.  No idea who the hire is going to be.  Can't see Billy Donovan being a possibility, first of all OKC is playing far, far above expectations and second has anyone seen any indication he odesn't want to be there?  Might as well take a chance on a young unproven guy at this point, the Crean and Miller hires were a disaster.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Pat doesn’t want any coach bigger than the program.  He has made that very clear which of course any coach that wins big here would be.  He wants a yes man that wins 20 games and has us in the NCAA tournament most years but nothing more.  Trust me.

I don't know anything about Pat other than he's on the BOT but how can one man completely hold back the entire program? Aren't there other members that desperately want us to get back to glory like Buckner? What is he doing specifically to hold us back? Other than saying he wants us to be mediocre basically. 

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What did he prove at Dayton?  He had one fluke run to the Elite 8 in this third year, and two regular season titles in a mid-major conference.  Outside of that, he had early exits in the conference tournament and NCAA tournament pretty much every year.  Had mediocre offensive and defensive efficiency numbers and never landed an elite recruit there.  Plenty of midmajor coaches have had similar success and failed to cut it in a power conference.  

Especially when the philosophy is fundamentally flawed... Completely neglecting three-point shooting will never work at the highest levels.

I understand that you have philosophical differences with Archie’s coaching style, but I think this is somewhat dishonest. He won 2 conference titles and made the tournament 4 times. I can see why people might call the elite 8 run a fluke, but I think making the tournament consistently speaks more.  You said his defensive efficiency was mediocre, yet his teams finished top 30 the last 3 years. What do you consider mediocre? I would say top 30 is pretty good. How many mid major coaches also land elite recruits? He had landed guys that fit his system and played how he wanted. Which helped him win consistently. 

I think he could definitely put more emphasis on 3 point shooting recruiting wise, but he recognizes that 3 point shooting isn’t this team’s strength. Attacking the basket, getting the ball inside and getting to the line gives this team the best shot to win. Not being able to shoot really hinders that and it has to be addressed.

At this point, I’m with BGleas. I think Archie can coach and I see what he’s trying to do with the big lineup as well. I do, however, think the small lineup is the best lineup. If TJD were to increase his draft stock and leave early, it will greatly increase my worry for next year. I think we end up with the same record as last year and are a borderline tournament team. Making or missing  the tournament this year will determine how the next 2 years go and right now, it’s doesn’t look great.

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

For having a freaking bbq?  The ncaa is done as we know it.  In a year and a half all players are going to be making money.  No one is calling for fake classes, wheels for heels, prostitutes in dorms.

Isn't Auburn part of the FBI investigation

17 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I suspect you're correct about CAM.  IU just doesn't have a quick trigger unless the coach is breaking rules.

As far as next year, I don't know.  I can't see how our woeful shooting is going to improve just by "subtraction".

This might end up being a case where the trigger does get pulled early.

Crean got a huge pass with the rebuild.  And he actually showed improvement each year early on.    What does CAM have to show?  Aside from landing back to back Mr. Basketball's not much.

If we don't start winning CAM will be a lame duck unable to recruit.   I truly hope he gets this turned around but I have zero faith in this team right now.

Go Hoosiers!!!

5 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

I don't know anything about Pat other than he's on the BOT but how can one man completely hold back the entire program? Aren't there other members that desperately want us to get back to glory like Buckner? What is he doing specifically to hold us back? Other than saying he wants us to be mediocre basically. 

Glass and McRobbie were as bad but Glass is nearly gone and I believe McRobbie is gone next year.  One turd left to flush.

http://btownbanners.com/topic/12259-fred-glass-retiring/?page=19

Good discussion on Shoulders here.

3 minutes ago, bobtcat2 said:

It's going to be up to the next coach- Archie Miller will not be at IU next season.  No idea who the hire is going to be.  Can't see Billy Donovan being a possibility, first of all OKC is playing far, far above expectations and second has anyone seen any indication he odesn't want to be there?  Might as well take a chance on a young unproven guy at this point, the Crean and Miller hires were a disaster.

Is that not what we did with Archie

Part of my point is, I was really turned off when Glass opened his retirement press conference by saying the thing he’s most proud of is “doing it the right way”. I think that holier than thou mentality hurts IU basketball. I’m not saying IU should cheat, I’m saying ‘doing it the right way’ should be a footnote, not the lead. 

We won a ton of titles, we recruited great players, and we did it the right way. Not, we did it the right way, even if the results weren’t the best. Go win games and recruiting battles, then talk about doing it right. 

2 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

If we don't start winning CAM will be a lame duck unable to recruit.   I truly hope he gets this turned around but I have zero faith in this team right now.

Go Hoosiers!!!

This is where I’m at. If it doesn’t get turned around this season, and I don’t really see how it does unless there are some drastic changes, and even then I’m not sure the talent is there, then I don’t see how Archie recovers the lost momentum. It’s more about program momentum right now than anything else. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is where I’m at. If it doesn’t get turned around this season, and I don’t really see how it does unless there are some drastic changes, and even then I’m not sure the talent is there, then I don’t see how Archie recovers the lost momentum. It’s more about program momentum right now than anything else. 

Hmmm, plenty of time to get the ship under sail and heading in the right direction.

There is no way to defend this performance.

No heart

No passion

No will to win

That said, I hope we can shift the discussion away from 'coaching replacements' and focus on what needs to be done to get this team where it needs to be.

I, for one, think it's time to significantly shorten the rotation.

Rob, Justin, TJD, and Good Devonte need to be playing 30+ minutes.

Al, Joey, Race (despite his really bad day today), and Deron split minutes as the 5th-8th guys.

Damezi, Jerome, and Armaan should only be getting minutes when necessary, and should be on a very short leash when they do play.

I still think we play better going small ball.  I would hope that CAM can place his preferences aside and commit to this.  I also wish he would exercise his authority and sit players when they aren't running things to his satisfaction.  Play the end of the bench tonight if he has to in order to get his message across.  Certainly the score would not have been any worse.   He should also try and address some of his actions in the post game interviews so that as a fanbase we know what he is trying to accomplish..  Play the players that show that they will execute the game plan and play with IQ and tenacity.  W's will take care of themselves if he would just establish a culture that poor play will not be tolerated no matter your recruiting ratings.  

I still don't think we have instilled a winning culture into the program and to me that is the piece that is missing.  Having the best recruits is certainly helpful, but we also see every year a cinderella team in the NCAAT.  Tenacity and high IQ can overcome a lot of physical shortcomings in any sport.  Shorten the leash on some of the poor play.  RMK said CAM was a good coach so I will give him that but RMK wouldn't hesitate to bench the entire starting lineup if needed to get his point across and the fanbase would be behind him.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Hmmm, plenty of time to get the ship under sail and heading in the right direction.

I know you're right. Admittedly, I'm a bit frustrated. This team needs to go small to create space and driving lanes, feature TJD in the middle, and somehow Archie needs to figure out how to get his guys to play confident, not scared, on the perimeter (something he's been unable to do in 2.5 years).

Archived