2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

I agree. The unnecessary roughness call when Mahomes was still in bounds, RUNNING TO THE FIRST DOWN MARKER was idiotic. They have got to do something about this in the offseason. Once a QB turns himself into a running back, they should be treated as such. 

NFL Rule #1:  We need to protect our QBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

Pierce still seems like a bit of a 1 trick pony to me, but so was Cris Carter. 

He is, decent slant runner... but but but, that might compliment Pitt, Downs, Mallory, AR, JT moving forward...lots of other boxes checked by those dudes. 

Jelani Woods. Get your ass in shape. 

20 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ballard was never the issue, homie. ;)

I don’t think he’s the worst GM in the league, but let’s win a division title or a 2nd playoff game before we get our Pom poms out.

I will say that if the Colts cash position adversely affects his ability to sign FAs, then that does put him at a disadvantage  in the draft. 

What a disaster:

Team sources described a “Hunger Games” culture at Bank of America Stadium. Coaches said they believed other staff members were text messaging Tepper behind Reich’s back about issues they saw with the team. In one instance, general manager Scott Fitterer and an offensive coach went to Tepper with a coaching suggestion for the quarterback.

“People just finger-pointing hoping they don’t get exposed,” said one assistant.

Days before Thanksgiving, with the team spiraling and Young getting pummeled, Tepper told Reich to fix the rookie’s footwork. Fitterer and others had told Tepper that Young’s feet were the cause of some of the Panthers’ protection issues. They believed Young wasn’t dropping back deep enough on his pass sets.

Tepper has been criticized for micromanaging and getting hands-on with football decisions. Prior to the 2019 season, he persuaded then-head coach Ron Rivera to switch to a 3-4 defense — which Tepper was familiar with as a former Pittsburgh Steelers minority partner — and drove the team’s interest in Deshaun Watson before the quarterback was traded to Cleveland in 2022.

Tepper’s instruction about Young’s footwork came after weekly conversations between Tepper and Reich on Young’s development and early struggles.

https://theathletic.com/5105215/2023/12/06/carolina-panthers-frank-reich-firing-david-tepper/

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

What a disaster:

Team sources described a “Hunger Games” culture at Bank of America Stadium. Coaches said they believed other staff members were text messaging Tepper behind Reich’s back about issues they saw with the team. In one instance, general manager Scott Fitterer and an offensive coach went to Tepper with a coaching suggestion for the quarterback.

“People just finger-pointing hoping they don’t get exposed,” said one assistant.

Days before Thanksgiving, with the team spiraling and Young getting pummeled, Tepper told Reich to fix the rookie’s footwork. Fitterer and others had told Tepper that Young’s feet were the cause of some of the Panthers’ protection issues. They believed Young wasn’t dropping back deep enough on his pass sets.

Tepper has been criticized for micromanaging and getting hands-on with football decisions. Prior to the 2019 season, he persuaded then-head coach Ron Rivera to switch to a 3-4 defense — which Tepper was familiar with as a former Pittsburgh Steelers minority partner — and drove the team’s interest in Deshaun Watson before the quarterback was traded to Cleveland in 2022.

Tepper’s instruction about Young’s footwork came after weekly conversations between Tepper and Reich on Young’s development and early struggles.

https://theathletic.com/5105215/2023/12/06/carolina-panthers-frank-reich-firing-david-tepper/

Yeah Harbaugh ain’t putting up with that. He can go to Chicago and rule the roost. 

19 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

What a disaster:

The guy has a brilliant mind for investing but it sure seems like he craves drama in running an organization.  It doesn’t seem like it’s his managerial skill that is superior, it’s just that he’s a savant with markets.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The guy has a brilliant mind for investing but it sure seems like he craves drama in running an organization.  It doesn’t seem like it’s his managerial skill that is superior, it’s just that he’s a savant with markets.  

“Mr Tepper, how about I let you manage my Fidelity account, and you let me manage your football team?” 

• Haha 1

That was some ugly stuff last night. Especially from Steelers and Mitch. Every time I watch him I have to cringe knowing not only did we draft him at #2 but we moved up to do so. He's just not good and the whole vibe of the Steelers doesn't feel for team oriented. Tomlin has his hands full.

Best thing though about last night. With the Patriots winning their 3rd I'm feeling pretty confident the Bears will have the #1 overall next year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Screw the Steelers.  I enjoy watching them lose…every time.  F them and their Terrwubble Towels.  😂😂😂

100% 

I do absolutely love Mike Tomlin. I've listened to him talk about perspective/coaching philosophies a couple of times. Can't get enough of his talks. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, rico said:

Pittsburgh needs to draft a QB.

Them and a few others. Can't wait to see the asking price for #1 pick this year. Problem for me looking forward though is this. Can you pass on Harrison Jr? Bears might only be able to move back a couple of spots max with likely order being Bears (via Carolina), Patriots, Cardinals...all 3 teams may or may not need a QB. Jets (if Rodgers is elsewhere), Giants, Commanders, all sitting at 4 wins. 

This years #1 is different because there are 2-3 QB's that most teams would be happy with. Maybe not the same haul as last for the Bears considering our need to not miss on MH Jr. and best Left Tackle in the draft.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Them and a few others. Can't wait to see the asking price for #1 pick this year. Problem for me looking forward though is this. Can you pass on Harrison Jr? Bears might only be able to move back a couple of spots max with likely order being Bears (via Carolina), Patriots, Cardinals...all 3 teams may or may not need a QB. Jets (if Rodgers is elsewhere), Giants, Commanders, all sitting at 4 wins. 

This years #1 is different because there are 2-3 QB's that most teams would be happy with. Maybe not the same haul as last for the Bears considering our need to not miss on MH Jr. and best Left Tackle in the draft.

I can’t see the bears passing on drafting a qb. Brad Biggs the bears beat writer usually has good info and he even started hinting at bears are taking QB. My guess is they trade Fields for a 2nd round pick if he plays decent to end the season. Braxton jones their 5th round pick from last year has actually been doing fairly well at left tackle….I think bears need a center and another lineman for depth and they might actually have a good o-line. I do wish both their #1 picks were in top 3 so they could get qb/Marvin Harrison jr though!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I can’t see the bears passing on drafting a qb. Brad Biggs the bears beat writer usually has good info and he even started hinting at bears are taking QB. My guess is they trade Fields for a 2nd round pick if he plays decent to end the season. Braxton jones their 5th round pick from last year has actually been doing fairly well at left tackle….I think bears need a center and another lineman for depth and they might actually have a good o-line. I do wish both their #1 picks were in top 3 so they could get qb/Marvin Harrison jr though!

I dunno.  I think the Bears "best" scenario is that Fields shows he belongs as a NFL starter coming down the stretch and they keep him and use their 1st round picks on other pieces.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rico said:

I dunno.  I think the Bears "best" scenario is that Fields shows he belongs as a NFL starter coming down the stretch and they keep him and use their 1st round picks on other pieces.

I don't disagree with you about that being the best case scenario...but I have been watching him for 3 years...and while he has made some improvements, but I'm still not convinced he is "the guy". I think he still struggles with reading a defense at an NFL level. I do think part of the problem has been the Bears OC trying to make him into a pocket passer similar to Aaron Rodgers etc., when he clearly isn't that. I think that's why it has been so difficult to evaluate him. Now, if he plays stellar in the last 5 weeks, I reserve the right to change my mind, but I am not too optimistic. If the Bears do move on from him...I wouldn't be shocked if he had some success in a different system/team.

• Like 2