2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Like the Bears with Fields, time to “Fish” or cut bait…

The data is in on Fields. It’s a pity because the Bears could have stacked a lot of talent around him with the draft.  I was curious what the Bears record against the Packers was since Favre got there.  15-50.  31 years.  I wonder what kind of historical precedent there is for that in pro sports.  Ten in a row under LaFleur.  

But, it might sound crazy to the naysayers, but the Bears are sitting in a great spot to surge for a good decade.  Lot of ammo even without trading away the first pick.  They can be really tough if they play it all right and it’s almost hard to screw up.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The data is in on Fields. It’s a pity because the Bears could have stacked a lot of talent around him with the draft.  I was curious what the Bears record against the Packers was since Favre got there.  15-50.  31 years.  I wonder what kind of historical precedent there is for that in pro sports.  Ten in a row under LaFleur.  

But, it might sound crazy to the naysayers, but the Bears are sitting in a great spot to surge for a good decade.  Lot of ammo even without trading away the first pick.  They can be really tough if they play it all right and it’s almost hard to screw up.  

I always think the Bears have the ammo to be good, but they always prove me wrong. It seems like it's one of those organizations that are just always destined to not be anything other than middle of the pack at best. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I always think the Bears have the ammo to be good, but they always prove me wrong. It seems like it's one of those organizations that are just always destined to not be anything other than middle of the pack at best. 

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Plus check out our schedule next year. AFC South and NFC West plus 2 other 4th place teams in Washington, Carolina, and New England with 2 of those being at home.

We could very well take that jump next year but we need to find 2 WR's, Center, and maybe another TE to compliment Kmet as well as secondary if we don't sign JJ.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Plus check out our schedule next year. AFC South and NFC West plus 2 other 4th place teams in Washington, Carolina, and New England with 2 of those being at home.

We could very well take that jump next year but we need to find 2 WR's, Center, and maybe another TE to compliment Kmet as well as secondary if we don't sign JJ.

AFC South is a pretty tough division going forward 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just speaking for myself  it would have been great if Fields thrived because my Lordy the Bears could have surrounded him with several premier talents with the trades from last year and, potentially, this year. 

And I also think he’s very tough to deal with if you get him in the right system.   I don’t think Getsy and Eberfus deployed him right.  The right coach acquiring him will have a plan and he can do better.  

I am also concerned about Williams’ data when under pressure (e.g., the asinine picks against ND).  

But ultimately, I think Williams is a more legit passer and has some magic to his game with improvisational skills and arm talent.  Fields’ record, stats, and skill sets don’t provide the ammo to pass on a first pick in the draft QB.   If you hit on Williams, you get 10-15 years and that sets you up to acquire talent at more predictable positions which are easier to execute on.   That’s my thinking.  Bears can be a sleeping giant waking up.   They probably can’t go wrong.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

Also with the Bears’ second number one they can still get a major talent at receiver.  It’s tough to turn down MHJ but there’s other guys, to wit:

2. WR MALIK NABERS, LSU

BIG BOARD RANK: 5

Turn on the tape, and it won't take long to realize Nabers moves differently than his peers. His body control and route-running potential are already good enough to stand out in the pros. He's a future focal point of an NFL passing attack.

Click here to see PFF's full top 275 big board

3. WR ROME ODUNZE, WASHINGTON

BIG BOARD RANK: 10

Odunze brings top-tier size, speed and strength to the receiver position. He has consistently dominated at the catch point this season and can reportedly run 4.3-4.4 at around 215 pounds.

• Like 1

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Also with the Bears’ second number one they can still get a major talent at receiver.  It’s tough to turn down MHJ but there’s other guys, to wit:

2. WR MALIK NABERS, LSU

BIG BOARD RANK: 5

Turn on the tape, and it won't take long to realize Nabers moves differently than his peers. His body control and route-running potential are already good enough to stand out in the pros. He's a future focal point of an NFL passing attack.

Click here to see PFF's full top 275 big board

3. WR ROME ODUNZE, WASHINGTON

BIG BOARD RANK: 10

Odunze brings top-tier size, speed and strength to the receiver position. He has consistently dominated at the catch point this season and can reportedly run 4.3-4.4 at around 215 pounds.

Odunze at 9 if we decide to trade back and have to miss on MHJr and acquire more picks would be ideal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Odunze at 9 if we decide to trade back and have to miss on MHJr and acquire more picks would be ideal. 

100%.  Would have loved to get three first rounders like Washington got for Griffin but that’s trumped by getting a potential star QB IMO.  Most important position in sports.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

100%.  Would have loved to get three first rounders like Washington got for Griffin but that’s trumped by getting a potential star QB IMO.  Most important position in sports.  

Still don't know where I'm at. First thing first though. Getsy needs to be gone today...and I still feel like adding talent to Fields is better than Williams/Maye,etc....

That play call yesterday at end of 1st quarter after Roschon got 8 we brought out Tonyan, Jones, Johnson and Taylor. He should be fired for that personnel alone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Still don't know where I'm at. First thing first though. Getsy needs to be gone today...and I still feel like adding talent to Fields is better than Williams/Maye,etc....

That play call yesterday at end of 1st quarter after Roschon got 8 we brought out Tonyan, Jones, Johnson and Taylor. He should be fired for that personnel alone.

Should have said Washington paid for Griffin.  A trade would definitely allow for really stacking the roster all over.  Getsy just overthinks things and gets too cute but most importantly I really don’t see an offense designed around the strengths of the QB. That to me is the fundamental problem.  Look at Steichen and how he designed his offense both in Philly and Indy.  A mind like that could do wonders for Fields.  Personally I think he could get that elsewhere.  

Defensively, what’s tougher than dealing with a QB who is physical but can also sling it a la Josh Allen.  We’ve all watched defenses where you’re terrified of that guy.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yeah I'd prefer to build up the team around Fields as well and Getsy needs to Getsy the heck out of town. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We generally agree on everything, but I would add another good DE.

And....Getsy sucks!

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

We generally agree on everything, but I would add another good DE.

And I must add....Getsy sucks!

That's why a trade with Raiders (if willing to send Crosby) could be an option. We add Crosby opposite of Sweat and that's a top 5 D next year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's why a trade with Raiders (if willing to send Crosby) could be an option. We add Crosby opposite of Sweat and that's a top 5 D next year.

I’m not a Bears or a Raiders fan.  But no way in hell I’m trading Crosby if I’m the Raiders.  Has this been rumored somewhere?  I agree it would be a great get for Chicago but it would be one of the more stupid things the Raiders could do IMO. 
I suppose it’s a little early for this to be a rumor.  Fans just dreaming?

Edited by thirdgenhoosier
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

Yeah I'd prefer to build up the team around Fields as well and Getsy needs to Getsy the heck out of town. 

And pick up his 5th year option at $25 million? Poles already passed on 1 superstar QB, can’t imagine he does it a 2nd time. 

31 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I’m not a Bears or a Raiders fan.  But no way in hell I’m trading Crosby if I’m the Raiders.  Has this been rumored somewhere?  I agree it would be a great get for Chicago but it would be one of the more stupid things the Raiders could do IMO. 
I suppose it’s a little early for this to be a rumor.  Fans just dreaming?

Just saying there might be trades out there that include teams and players (like DJ Moore last year) where it's not going to be just the Commanders, Patriots,etc...involved. Could be a deal like I said for with Raiders and Crosby. Could be the Saints and Olave. Could be the Raiders and Adams....and all of these will involve at least another #1 in 2025. 

• Like 2