Around the B1G/NCAA

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

They're really good. They are what I want in a roster. 

We are getting closer to that.  They just have so much skill at every position.  They all can shoot the 3, they all rebound very well, defend at a high level.  I feel that next year with Romeo we could have a lineup similar.  Obviously Brunson is heads and shoulders ahead of any PG IU will have next year, but Phinesse/Green, Romeo, Hunter, Smith , Morgan is very similar to what Nova plays. Long, athletic, shoots well, rebounds, and could play great D.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone can do everything. Literally. Back to the basket scorers are honestly not needed. 

I tend to agree, give me shooting, ball handling-decision making, length, athleticism, quickness and rebounding with commitment to the defensive end and you can beat anyone. That’s a lot to put together but it is the model imo 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Caught a graphic near the end of the game.  A list of their best free throw shooters.  Did not have enough time to count them all.  Maybe six ?  And the worst free throw shooter on the list was hitting at 70%.  Everyone else was in the 80%.   Something to die for, going down the stretch in a tight game.  Pick your poison, trying to catch up.

1 minute ago, bstall76 said:

We are getting closer to that.  They just have so much skill at every position.  They all can shoot the 3, they all rebound very well, defend at a high level.  I feel that next year with Romeo we could have a lineup similar.  Obviously Brunson is heads and shoulders ahead of any PG IU will have next year, but Phinesse/Green, Romeo, Hunter, Smith , Morgan is very similar to what Nova plays. Long, athletic, shoots well, rebounds, and could play great D.

I would agree with that. The FR big off the bench, Rountree, he's the only one that's not overly skilled. 

Fwiw.. they have no SRs (almost unimaginable) but Brunson and Bridges will both come out. 

They have 3 kids signed.. all in the top 50. One is a top 25 player and he's a PG. The others are a 6'7 PF and a 6'6 wing. 

They'll be really, really good again next year bring back 6 of their top 8 and add those 3 kids in. DiVincenzo has star written all over him, as does Spellman. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I tend to agree, give me shooting, ball handling-decision making, length, athleticism, quickness and rebounding with commitment to the defensive end and you can beat anyone. That’s a lot to put together but it is the model imo 

Completely agree. That’s the formula. 

4 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I am skeptical that we’ll land Romeo but he would immediately fit in and take this team to the next level imo. With Morgan and Smith alone that’s a dangerous and committed group - adding the Green and Phin and frankly Al - who looks like a kid primed for a strong soph season, and that’s a team that can harass you on both ends 

I would agree with that. The FR big off the bench, Rountree, he's the only one that's not overly skilled. 

Fwiw.. they have no SRs (almost unimaginable) but Brunson and Bridges will both come out. 

They have 3 kids signed.. all in the top 50. One is a top 25 player and he's a PG. The others are a 6'7 PF and a 6'6 wing. 

They'll be really, really good again next year bring back 6 of their top 8 and add those 3 kids in. DiVincenzo has star written all over him, as does Spellman. 

Yeah crazy to think no seniors.  DiVincenzo is impressive, I had no idea he was as athletic as he is until todays game and the follow slam and the drive that he slammed home.  They are going to be good next year as well.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Caught a graphic near the end of the game.  A list of their best free throw shooters.  Did not have enough time to count them all.  Maybe six ?  And the worst free throw shooter on the list was hitting at 70%.  Everyone else was in the 80%.   Something to die for, going down the stretch in a tight game.  Pick your poison, trying to catch up.

The 5 they had on the court.. 1 was at 70% the other 4 were at 80% or more. 

Nova has won 134 games the past 4 years.. most by any program. 

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That is how I feel as well because they when with 3 to  year players who were not even top 20 players coming in except for Brunson who has been there 3 years.  They have won more games in a 4 year stretch than any team has tying Duke for that record.

12 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Yeah crazy to think no seniors.  DiVincenzo is impressive, I had no idea he was as athletic as he is until todays game and the follow slam and the drive that he slammed home.  They are going to be good next year as well.

Before the game they talked about how 6 of the players on Villanova ha red shirted for various reasons but it has helped them adjust to the college game.

Nova won't win their next game if they shoot the way they did today.

I think that they won with defense and 2nd chance points. At one point, Tech was 6-21 on layups- certainly some were contested, but some were flat out misses. 

I don't think either Duke or Kansas will be as weak around the basket. I don't think either will allow 20+ offensive rebounds either.

IMO, Nova is going to have to shoot a lot better than they did today to beat either team that they will face 

Something about Jay Wright and Beilein, as they’ll be getting a ton of praise over the next week, deservedly so, is that Michigan and Villanova were very patient with them. Beilein was around 15ish games over .500 his first four years, missing the tournament twice, and it took Jay Wright four years to have a 20 win season at Villanova. Both have missed the tournament a few times and had years where they had bad first/second round exits. 

I just bring it up because as we evaluate Archie and as some hope for instant success, these programs knew they had “their guy” and were patient with them, not overreacting to a bad loss or bad season. IU, the fans, etc., have to decide if Archie is “the guy”, but if we think he is, and so far I do, then patience is going to be very key. We have to let him build a culture, system and program, and sometimes that can come quickly (hello, Romeo) but other times there are speed bumps and it can take time. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Something about Jay Wright and Beilein, as they’ll be getting a ton of praise over the next week, deservedly so, is that Michigan and Villanova were very patient with them. Beilein was around 15ish games over .500 his first four years, missing the tournament twice, and it took Jay Wright four years to have a 20 win season at Villanova. Both have missed the tournament a few times and had years where they had bad first/second round exits. 

I just bring it up because as we evaluate Archie and as some hope for instant success, these programs knew they had “their guy” and were patient with them, not overreacting to a bad loss or bad season. IU, the fans, etc., have to decide if Archie is “the guy”, but if we think he is, and so far I do, then patience is going to be very key. We have to let him build a culture, system and program, and sometimes that can come quickly (hello, Romeo) but other times there are speed bumps and it can take time. 

Awhile ago I looked up CAM's recruiting success at Dayton. Until he got to IU he had never had a top 100 recruit! He already has multiple. Getting top 20 recruits might take some better results than what was shown this year. Regardless of where Romeo lands, I'm impressed so far. Give it time!

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wright and Beilein are two different cases.  With two different paths.  B was already a proven winner at a big time program(hello West Virginia) where as Jay was at Hofstra.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Wright and Beilein are two different cases.  With two different paths.  B was already a proven winner at a big time program(hello West Virginia) where as Jay was at Hofstra.

I know their backgrounds, but that doesn’t really have anything to do with my post/point. 

Archived