OT: Greg Schiano reportedly being hired by Tennessee

madmax

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21572440/tennessee-volunteers-finalizing-deal-make-greg-schiano-head-coach

Vols fans are absolutely losing their minds. People are calling for the AD's head. I don't know that I've ever seen a fan base react quite this violent at the report of a new head coach.

Go to twitter and search for "Schiano" or "Tennessee". It's madness

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sports fans are total out of control and maybe they should get a life.  To go to this extreme over a coaching hire is ridiculous.  Some fan bases have an over inflated view of their sports programs.

I know some UT fans, and the ones I know are upset because Schiano was part of covering up children being raped at Penn State. I can think of nothing better to do that protest that immoral piece of manure being hired. 

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I know some UT fans, and the ones I know are upset because Schiano was part of covering up children being raped at Penn State. I can think of nothing better to do that protest that immoral piece of manure being hired. 

This.

I would only wonder if Schiano was a more successful coach if there would be the same outcry. He really has only had middling success as a HC.

Regardless, I'm glad to see the public outcry and rejection on the hire. He doesn't deserve the spot.

5 minutes ago, madmax said:

This.

I would only wonder if Schiano was a more successful coach if there would be the same outcry. He really has only had middling success as a HC.

Regardless, I'm glad to see the public outcry and rejection on the hire. He doesn't deserve the spot.

Certainly fair to question if the outcry would be the same, but the outcry does seem very much directed at the morals and not the ability. 

I recall many IU fans (myself included) having similar feelings about Alford a few months back. I won't knock UT for rejecting this hire. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Certainly fair to question if the outcry would be the same, but the outcry does seem very much directed at the morals and not the ability. 

I recall many IU fans (myself included) having similar feelings about Alford a few months back. I won't knock UT for rejecting this hire. 

Yep, agreed.

The reality is, if my understanding is accurate, that Schiano was never directly investigated for having knowledge of the abuse at PSU and doing nothing. I believe that it was reported that 3rd hand that he had told someone that he had seen Sandusky in the shower with a child and said nothing. These allegations he has since denied.

For me, that is more than enough because at this point the 100% truth will never come out about what he did or didn't know. The wise route here is the safe one-don't hire him.

Perception is reality.

3 minutes ago, madmax said:

Yep, agreed.

The reality is, if my understanding is accurate, that Schiano was never directly investigated for having knowledge of the abuse at PSU and doing nothing. I believe that it was reported that 3rd hand that he had told someone that he had seen Sandusky in the shower with a child and said nothing. These allegations he has since denied.

For me, that is more than enough because at this point the 100% truth will never come out about what he did or didn't know. The wise route here is the safe one-don't hire him.

Perception is reality.

He wasn't investigated, but there is a court document claiming he saw Sandusky with a boy. Third hand as you said, but also enough to make anyone want to stay away as you said. 

Ok, so this just continues to get crazier. There are unsubstantiated rumors flying all around that Schiano has actually already signed the contract, and that UT would have to pay his buyout if they decided not to continue with the hire. I find it hard to believe, and I would guess it's likely not true, but wow... What a nightmare for Tennessee if true.

Aaaaaaaaand the deal is off:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21579125/tennessee-volunteers-no-longer-hire-greg-schiano-head-coach

Apparently no contract was signed, but a memorandum of understanding was. He was to be announced as head coach tonight, until everything fell through.

Good on the Volunteer fans-they made their voices heard and got results.

Any time somebody associated with that scandal gets fired or doesn't get a job, I'm a happy man.  So many scumbags associated with that scandal.

It's hard to know who knew and who didn't, but I can't imagine there weren't a handful of people who knew about it.  McQueary testified that Schiano witnessed it, and being there for 6 years, I can't imagine he didn't see something, or hear something from one of the other coaches.

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

He wasn't investigated, but there is a court document claiming he saw Sandusky with a boy. Third hand as you said, but also enough to make anyone want to stay away as you said. 

Yeah, McQueary said in a testimony that Schiano came into the office one day and told McQueary that he (Schiano) saw Sandusky doing something in the shower with a boy.

This would have been when McQueary was a frosh/soph at Penn St., I assume (that's when they overlapped).

I can certainly understand staying far away from any remote connection to that scandal (I wouldn't hire Schiano for that reason). But, like others have said, I wonder how much of the Tennessee reaction is really about the fact that they don't like him as a coach. Maybe I'm being too cynical.

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't believe that for one minute. If he had a great record and has won big time they wouldn't care about that.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't believe that for one minute. If he had a great record and has won big time they wouldn't care about that.

You have no idea what they'd believe.  It's fair to question if there would be the outrage, but you have no right to say people don't have a very real moral objection to the Schiano hire. 

Archived