Garrett Pumphrey

milehiiu

I'm thinking a mid major state of Indiana university or college.  I posted this more as an information basis, seeing as how he was named as a player of the week, like one of our commits, as well as Romeo.  That is some pretty good company to be associated with. 

1 hour ago, HoosierKix said:

10 blocks in both games?? Do we know if this kid was playing really small teams or not?

Not a knock on the kid since i know nothing about him, but to say those are small schools is an understatement.   We probably have more members on here than both schools combined and i guarantee more basketball ability. 

Just now, HOOSIER1321 said:

I'm not saying IU should look at him, but I'm from the same area and BOTH IU and Purdue passed on Desmond Bane two years ago because of the size of his school. I'm sure both schools regret it now. Size of school shouldn't matter if you can play.

I don't think it has as much to do with the size of his school but the games so far have been against charter schools that I believe are not ihsaa schools.  

11 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

I'm not saying IU should look at him, but I'm from the same area and BOTH IU and Purdue passed on Desmond Bane two years ago because of the size of his school. I'm sure both schools regret it now. Size of school shouldn't matter if you can play.

In fairness everyone passed on Bane. He only had one offer and that was from TCU. Why Ball St, Valpo, ISU and IPFW didn't recruit him is more puzzling to me than IU or Purdue. Looking at his prep numbers it is odd that a 6'5 guard scoring 30 a game and playing for Indiana Elite AAU couldn't get more attention but I don't know how well he played in AAU

7 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

In fairness everyone passed on Bane. He only had one offer and that was from TCU. Why Ball St, Valpo, ISU and IPFW didn't recruit him is more puzzling to me than IU or Purdue. Looking at his prep numbers it is odd that a 6'5 guard scoring 30 a game and playing for Indiana Elite AAU couldn't get more attention but I don't know how well he played in AAU

He had more than one offer. Ball St was actually one of them. 

I think Archie said it best in terms of his recruiting philosophy, in this interview he had with Andy Katz ( I will be posting this on the BB board as well ).  Where Archie believes he can succeed by getting the best out of the state of Indiana, as well as filling in with others from the state.  Pumphrey may not be one of those "fillins", but should deserve at least a look see from IU.

Watch: Andy Katz talks with Indiana basketball coach Archie Miller 

I went to this high school, so very familiar with the area and the school. Pumphrey is very raw and still learning how to play basketball and be 6'10, so big-time work in progress. He's 6'10 playing very low 2A basketball with a schedule of mostly 1A and charter schools. I'm sure he'll play somewhere, but he's nowhere near a major college prospect.

1 hour ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Full disclosure, my daughter and Desmond are EXTREMELY close friends. So I know who he had offers from. LOL

I believe it got down to TCU & Miami (OH). As soon as TCU offered, it was a done deal.

He'll be a good 4-year player for them.

21 minutes ago, BH33 said:

I went to this high school, so very familiar with the area and the school. Pumphrey is very raw and still learning how to play basketball and be 6'10, so big-time work in progress. He's 6'10 playing very low 2A basketball with a schedule of mostly 1A and charter schools. I'm sure he'll play somewhere, but he's nowhere near a major college prospect.

A very warm welcome to HSN 3.0.  YOU, in your very first post, did something I love about all the iterations of HSN.... you brought a real life story for all of us to enjoy and share. I want to thank you for that. 

1 hour ago, BH33 said:

Golden Eagles in the house!

Great kid, great family!  I wish nothing but the best for him, but it would be a major long shot.  But, you never know what happens in two or three years with talent and hard work.

Anyone who watched Desmond Bane from a young age new the kid was special.  His skill and basketball growth is yet to stop so expect great things from him.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Mr. Bane an All-Conference performer at TCU before he graduates.

Also, keep in mind that Dominic James (who was another Richmond product like Bane) couldn't play at IU either.  Sometimes kids fall through the recruiting cracks like OG did and Theron Smith that played for Buckley at Ball State years ago.  Theron Smith was a stud, but was pretty unheard of out of Florida if I remember correctly.

3 hours ago, BH33 said:

I believe it got down to TCU & Miami (OH). As soon as TCU offered, it was a done deal.

He'll be a good 4-year player for them.

Once a high major offered it was pretty much over. However Northwestern, Purdue and Texas Tech were also recruiting him. He just really likes Jamie Dixon.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

A very warm welcome to HSN 3.0.  YOU, in your very first post, did something I love about all the iterations of HSN.... you brought a real life story for all of us to enjoy and share. I want to thank you for that. 

Thanks Mile. I’ve been around for the other versions of HSN, but didn’t realize I hadn’t signed up for this one yet. 

Archived